Getting a black screen after logging into Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Getting a black screen after logging into Mint

Post by Husse »

The problem you have happens now and then - don't really know why
Boot into Recovery Mode and run the Xfix option there (say yes to any questions)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Greg-NZ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Greg-NZ »

Hi. I've just had the same problem, after installing Linux Mint alongside Windows XP on an older machine. Did you use the automatic settings for partitioning when you installed? I did, and it seems to have been responsible for the problem. By booting from the live CD again and using gparted (the partition editor, under Control Center) to examine the drive, I found that the automatic installation program had (a) not shrunk the Windows partition sufficiently and (b) had created a partition for Mint that was far too small (about 2.7GB) as well as a swap space that was ridiculously inadequate (less than the RAM on the machine). This seems to be a bug, and I've filed a bug report.

To solve the problem, what I did was to use gparted (the partition editor) again from the live CD to (a) shrink the Windows partition so as to free up about 13GB of space and (b) to delete the silly little partitions that the installation program had automatically created. (It's all a bit scary, but it's not difficult and it worked.) I then re-installed Mint, THIS TIME doing the partitioning manually: allocating about 10GB for Mint and about 2.5GB for a swap space.

I now have a working, dual-boot system and I really like it. I hope this helps. Has anyone else come across this problem?
“The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it.”
(Linus Torvalds)
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

I have seen reports (but only reports) of some failure with the automatic partitioning so that may be a problem
You need some free space in the Mint partition - the size of swap is insignificant unless you have very little RAM (of course if you want to hibernate the size is important)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Greg-NZ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Greg-NZ »

Hi f4n4t1c. I have little experience in this area and I don't want to be one of those self-appointed experts on Linux forums who offers bad advice. But here goes. You might just want to check this with someone before going ahead.

My hunch is that the best thing to do would be to find some way of rebooting into Vista*, defragment the Windows partition, and use Vista's partitioning tool (I believe it has one, although I've never used it)** to shrink the Windows partition and make a decent amount of space for Linux Mint. (I chose 10 GB for the Linux partition, with a 2 GB swap space for 1 GB of RAM, but then I have only 40 GB on my hard drive and I've left most of my data on the Windows partition. You have lots of room and could be more generous.)

*To be able to reboot Vista, you might want to get hold of a Super Grub boot disk (http://www.supergrubdisk.org). I have a SuperGrub boot floppy (yes, a floppy!), which has an option for restoring the Windows MBR after a GRUB error. I've done it once, and it seemed to work. There are also CD and USB versions you can download, but obviously you'd need access to someone else's computer.

**On the Vista partitioning tool, see (e.g.) http://www.petri.co.il/shrinking-a-part ... r-2008.htm

Alternatively, you could use the live Linux Mint CD (as I did) to shrink the WIndows partition and create room for a fresh Linux install. That worked for me, but then I had defragmented the Windows (XP) partition first. I understand that a fresh Linux install would re-install GRUB, which would detect the Vista installation and give you the OS options on the boot menu. But I guess this option runs the danger of damaging your Windows installation, especially if the drive is fragmented.

So it would probably be better to get back into Vista first, if you can. I don't know... would it work with a borrowed Vista installation DVD? And if the computer is reasonably new, I would have thought that the vendor was obliged to supply an installation disk. What do you think?
“The Linux philosophy is 'Laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong One. 'Do it yourself'. Yes, that's it.”
(Linus Torvalds)
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Post by dawgdoc »

Greg-NZ wrote: ...I would have thought that the vendor was obliged to supply an installation disk. What do you think?
f4n4t1c wrote: ...and 10.9 GB for some other Windows partition. I'm guessing that's Safe Mode.
Many vendors now ship w/o an installation or recovery disk(s). They make a recovery partition and pre-load an application that enables you to make your own recovery disk. On the systems where I have seen this, notebook and desktop alike, the application is enabled for one time use only. The disk(s) you create take you back to factory default, not the condition of the computer at the time you make the disks.

I have not used Vista, so I do not know for sure that this is what the 10.9 Gb partition is for. Once you have your computer fixed, I would definitely recommended making the recovery disk(s), if this is the purpose of the partition. Then, for the brave of heart, you could delete the partition and reuse the space for your purposes. :)
SYSTEMS:
HP 15-bw0017cl -- Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon (support for 80 y/o family members 1st install)
READING:
The Secret of the Ninth Planet by Donald A. Wollheim

Return to “Newbie Questions”