[SOLVED] PPA Does not Support Focal

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] PPA Does not Support Focal

Post by Oskar1224 »

Using the Terminal I tried to install

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer

and I get: This PPA does not support focal.

What it means?

Thank you
Last edited by SMG on Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Locking topic to prevent new questions being added to this solved issue.
Nicolas
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: PPA Does not Support Focal

Post by RIH »

Ubuntu Linux 20.04 LTS (Focal Fossa)
The base for Mint 20.x

So the application you are trying to install has not been updated by the owner to work on Mint 20.x.

However, as the application you are trying to install is Grub-Customizer then many experienced hands on this forum would probably say that you have had a lucky escape!! :D

If you want to alter Grub then do it the safe way....
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/grub.html
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Oskar1224 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:41 am What it means?
It means you won't be posting here about how to fix your wrecked system after grub-system-wrecker wrecked your system.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

Observation:
Grub-Customizer was designed for Ubuntu.
There is no, and never has been, a Linux Mint version.
Until Mint 18.x it worked satisfactorily.
In Mint 19.x, he doesn't like "grub2-theme-mint".
It shows entries for Ubuntu in the Grub menu and not for Mint.
The changes made by Grub-Customizer, in the Grub menu, have no effect.
If using the latest version for Ubuntu 18.04 on Mint 19.x or 20.x, do so at your own risk.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

ricardogroetaers wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:48 am Observation:
Grub-Customizer was designed for Ubuntu.
There is no, and never has been, a Linux Mint version.
Until Mint 18.x it worked satisfactorily.
In Mint 19.x, he doesn't like "grub2-theme-mint".
It shows entries for Ubuntu in the Grub menu and not for Mint.
The changes made by Grub-Customizer, in the Grub menu, have no effect.
If using the latest version for Ubuntu 18.04 on Mint 19.x or 20.x, do so at your own risk.
A very good synopsis, but it's far worse than that, Ricardo. Its changes cannot be reversed but it lulls the user into a false sense of security by backing up the original GrUB configuration, which is the bit that can't be reversed. It doesn't work.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Reverting is possible as long as we remember the changes we've made.
The problem is that Grub-Customizer for Ubuntu 18.04 does not work, it has no effect on Mint 19.x (although it is equivalent to Ubuntu 18.04).

What changes he makes and where he writes the changes, and why they do not take effect, and if something messes up, I don't know.

I used Grub-Customizer only to hide entries from the Grub menu without deleting them and to put a background picture on the grub.
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Thank you all, lesson learned - I will not touch the GRUB menu

As a beginner, there are tons to learn!
Nicolas
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Another one to avoid is bleachbit (or anything else that claims to 'clean' your linux system).
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Oskar1224 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:34 am Thank you all, lesson learned - I will not touch the GRUB menu

Don't be afraid... :D
It is worth reading the Easy Linux Tips site I highlighted earlier.
It is the safe way for you to learn & do things...
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

RIH wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:07 am
Oskar1224 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:34 am Thank you all, lesson learned - I will not touch the GRUB menu

Don't be afraid... :D
It is worth reading the Easy Linux Tips site I highlighted earlier.
It is the safe way for you to learn & do things...
Thank you for pointing out the link, I didn’t notice the first time but now I got it
Nicolas
bendipa
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bendipa »

You can touch the grub menu. In fact if you keep backing away from changing the look, or the way things work for grub, desktop or anything else for that matter you are not going to learn much. You can add a theme/s to grub to spruce it up and make it look decent, rather than the very plain, boring look that it is when Mint 20 is freshly installed. Mint Tricia actually came with its own grub theme unlike Mint Ulyana, which reverted back to the plain old, boring look.

You just need to know a few basic rules. If you are going to mess with a system file:- a) back it up first, b) If you can't boot up after making a change to it then boot from your Live Mint USB and reverse that change. c) Learn how to mount your unbootable root partition in Live Mint, so that you can access it to reverse that unfortunate change you made. Lots of good advice out there on YouTube for mounting partitions and copying files.
Computer: Dell Vostro 470
Systems: Linux Mint 21.3 Xfce (Una), Manjaro 23.1 Xfce (Vulcan), Windows 10 (22H2) Pro.
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

bendipa wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:44 pm

You can touch the grub menu. In fact if you keep backing away from changing the look, or the way things work for grub, desktop or anything else for that matter you are not going to learn much. You can add a theme/s to grub to spruce it up and make it look decent, rather than the very plain, boring look that it is when Mint 20 is freshly installed. Mint Tricia actually came with its own grub theme unlike Mint Ulyana, which reverted back to the plain old, boring look.

You just need to know a few basic rules. If you are going to mess with a system file:- a) back it up first, b) If you can't boot up after making a change to it then boot from your Live Mint USB and reverse that change. c) Learn how to mount your unbootable root partition in Live Mint, so that you can access it to reverse that unfortunate change you made. Lots of good advice out there on YouTube for mounting partitions and copying files.
I will definitely attach the Grub menu but later. Right now I have other items on my list to learn and Grub’s time will come.........
Nicolas
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

bendipa wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:44 pm Mint Tricia actually came with its own grub theme ...
Changing the grub background to the Mint Tricia theme is easy.
Just place the new desired figure (in ".png" format) in the "/boot/grub/themes/linuxmint/" folder and edit the line "desktop-image:" in the "theme.txt" file to point to the figure desired.

Attachments
Captura de tela_2021-03-20_08-22-45.png
Etienne9
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Etienne9 »

Hi, grub-customiser is directly in repository:
apt search grub-customizer
p grub-customizer - GUI to configure GRUB2 and BURG

To install it, remove first the old ppa :
sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
sudo apt update

then :
sudo apt install grub-customizer
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Etienne9 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:28 am Hi, grub-customiser is directly in repository:
Thanks.
However, only for Ubuntu 20.x (Mint 20.x).
For Ubuntu 18.04 (Bionic) it does not work on Mint 19.x.

See the new developer site:
https://launchpad.net/grub-customizer

Old site (PPA):
https://launchpad.net/~danielrichter200 ... customizer
Etienne9
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Etienne9 »

Yes you're right, haven't see it was removed for Bionic. But on my second computer, it is still working on Bionic because it was installed in 2018.
MosheLikesBagels7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MosheLikesBagels7 »

I got the same notification with noobslab. Anyone know of a work around for this? Maybe Linux Mint should check on this bug! In earlier versions it all worked OK with ppa repositories.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

MosheLikesBagels7 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:30 pm I got the same notification with noobslab. Anyone know of a work around for this? Maybe Linux Mint should check on this bug!
It's not a bug and it's not in Mint. It means that the PPA owner has not yet updated the software that the PPA offers to work with the Focal version of Ubuntu, or its derivatives.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”