trying to get into mining crypto

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xanvee

trying to get into mining crypto

Post by xanvee »

Hello everyone,

Newb here. I tried searching the topics to see if my question came up and it doesn't appear so. Please bare with me I am new to linux.

I am trying to learn how to mine crypto and using various instructional sources I seem to not get anywhere. From what I understand CGminer is the best software but I am not sure. At the moment I just want to be able to get my head wrapped around it but first I need the software in order to play around with it.

Can someone help me out?

Thank you all in advance.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Re: trying to get into mining crypto

Post by GS3 »

It can be downloaded from https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer

What's your question?
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

Want to buy a bridge?
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

A huge percentage of the work is performed by your GPU. The pro miners use custom GPU style processors. They use solar arrays for the free electricity. They process in cold regions so they do not need aircon. Given the heat output, I am not surprised the Antarctic ice shelf is melting.

Cryptomining might be a way to make money from your unused gaming rig while you are at work and your peak solar power is going to waste. Place the machine in your farm dam to keep the machine cool. Put tropical fish in the dam to enjoy the warm water. :D

Or rent the dam out as a thermal spa. :shock:
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

ammygamk wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:48 pm Is mining a good option now?
Not if you are paying for your own electricity, or if you like polar ice caps.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
SomeDudeInAZ
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SomeDudeInAZ »

On a slightly more serious vein...

If you just want to start crypto, I'd suggest either Nicehash (they have a standalone linux iso based on tinycore NHOS) or using HiveOS (based on debian) - which can tie into Nicehash or can be used for any other mining pool. There are some others (simplemining, raveos, etc).

Otherwise it's a case of installing your OS (debian/ubuntu/whatever), making sure you have the various drivers right for your graphic cards (there's like 3 different drivers you need for nvidia for instance to overclock properly as I remember) then finding/installing your scripts and wallets for the crypto you want to mine.

Regardless I would avoid mining on a system I'm using for anything else. Most of the standalone OSs will run just fine off a live key usb drive, so if you boot and run off that you're pretty much OK.

Does this help?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I think a better question may be the sort of hardware you'd need. And the answer would be: very fast, powerful, expensive hardware.

However, I also think it'd be a waste of time and money. Wanting to get into something like this because of the enormous returns achieved by early adopters, which is the usual reason apparently, is a loser's game.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Beginner Questions”