Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa 100% Disk Usage

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa 100% Disk Usage

Post by Larry78723 »

Was that HDD a brand new drive? I've seen this issue before, there's a possibility that it came to you without a partition table. That would cause what we're seeing with /home being mounted at sda instead of sda1. That means that you didn't notice during the install that the sda drive didn't have a sda1 partition while setting up the 'other' install.

Please run the following command again:

Code: Select all

df -h
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
poue
Level 1
Level 1

Post by poue »

Larry78723 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:53 am Was that HDD a brand new drive? I've seen this issue before, there's a possibility that it came to you without a partition table. That would cause what we're seeing with /home being mounted at sda instead of sda1. That means that you didn't notice during the install that the sda drive didn't have a sda1 partition while setting up the 'other' install.

Please run the following command again:

df -h

I don't recall the brand and couldn't get it without tearing the machine apart. I do know it was in use before this install, and at the
time of the install I formatted the HD during the live install.

itx@itx-desktop:~$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /dev
tmpfs           1.6G  1.9M  1.6G   1% /run
/dev/nvme0n1p2  228G   68G  149G  32% /
tmpfs           7.9G     0  7.9G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           7.9G     0  7.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/nvme0n1p1  567M  7.9M  560M   2% /boot/efi
/dev/sda        5.5T  2.6T  2.7T  50% /home
tmpfs           1.6G  116K  1.6G   1% /run/user/1000
itx@itx-desktop:~$ 

poue
Level 1
Level 1

Post by poue »

It seems that you are saying this

/dev/sda        5.5T  2.6T  2.7T  50% /home
is the issue. How do I correct it from here?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

poue wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:33 amHow do I correct it from here?
I will defer to the advice of others on the best way to handle this.

I will let you know if you boot to a live session of Mint from an install usb/dvd, you can access GParted which helps with partition changes. Because you would be booted to the usb/dvd, that means you can unmount the drive on which /home is located to make changes. I do not know if the changes can be made on that disk or whether you would need to backup your /home elsewhere so you can redo the partitions on the disk. If you can post a screenshot of that drive in GParted, that would give us an idea how it is being seen right now.
Larry78723 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:53 am Was that HDD a brand new drive? I've seen this issue before, there's a possibility that it came to you without a partition table. That would cause what we're seeing with /home being mounted at sda instead of sda1. That means that you didn't notice during the install that the sda drive didn't have a sda1 partition while setting up the 'other' install.
Can those changes be made after installation?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If sda s capacity is fully available and there are no usage problems, you should ignore this. Otherwise you have to take a backup of sda on a removable drive,create a file system with as many partitions you want , add entries for then in fstab.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... wHardDrive
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Beginner Questions”