[Solved] How can I install ProtonVPN GUI?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bzzz

[Solved] How can I install ProtonVPN GUI?

Post by Bzzz »

Hello,

I tried to install ProtonVPN GUI by using this link https://github.com/ProtonVPN/linux-gui

However, now my GUI is here: /usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages

while protonvpn-cli is here: /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages

Details from Terminal:

pip3 show protonvpn-gui
Name: protonvpn-gui
Version: 2.1.1
Summary: Linux GUI client for ProtonVPN
Home-page: https://github.com/ProtonVPN/linux-gui
Author: Proton Technologies AG
Author-email: contact@protonvpn.com
License: GPLv3
Requires: protonvpn-cli, requests
Required-by:

pip3 show protonvpn-cli
Name: protonvpn-cli
Version: 3.3.1
Summary: Official ProtonVPN CLI for Linux
Home-page: UNKNOWN
Author: Proton Technologies AG
Author-email: contact@protonvpn.com
License: GPLv3
Requires: protonvpn-nm-lib
Required-by: protonvpn-gui

So, my conclusion would be that for some reason, protonvpn-gui and protonvpn-cli are in different folders, and they need each other, so that is why things don't work.

I suppose, I can't use a Windows-like solution like copying files from one folder to another, right?

I guess they are using different versions of python, and that is why they are in different folders?

Any solutions?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: How can I install ProtonVPN GUI?

Post by spamegg »

It probably has nothing to do with cli and gui being in different folders. Linux works differently.

What is the problem exactly? What is not working? What happens when you type

Code: Select all

protonvpn-gui
in the terminal?

Exactly what commands, in what order, did you use to install it?

Also I don't think you should be installing it from that Github page. It says "This repository has been archived by the owner. It is now read-only." This means they are not updating it anymore. Basically abandoned. So it's not safe.
Bzzz

Post by Bzzz »

spamegg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:05 am
What is the problem exactly? What is not working? What happens when you type

Code: Select all

protonvpn-gui
in the terminal?
protonvpn-gui
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/bin/protonvpn-gui", line 5, in <module>
from linux_gui.protonvpn_gui import init
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/linux_gui/protonvpn_gui.py", line 6, in <module>
from protonvpn_cli.constants import CONFIG_FILE, CONFIG_DIR #noqa
ImportError: cannot import name 'CONFIG_FILE' from 'protonvpn_cli.constants' (/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/protonvpn_cli/constants.py)
spamegg wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:05 am Also I don't think you should be installing it from that Github page. It says "This repository has been archived by the owner. It is now read-only." This means they are not updating it anymore. Basically abandoned. So it's not safe.
Ok, I wont use it then.
Bzzz

Post by Bzzz »

I have removed the GUI with sudo pip3 uninstall protonvpn-gui

Thank you for pointing out the fact that the software was abandoned.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Bzzz wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:51 pm Thank you for pointing out the fact that the software was abandoned.
If your VPN service provider offers downloadable .ovpn files, you can simply import your preferred connection points directly into Network Manager, then off you go. This method should be preferred over third party clients that don't always work.
DarkMatter15531
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DarkMatter15531 »

Bzzz wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:51 pm I have removed the GUI with sudo pip3 uninstall protonvpn-gui

Ya it was a decent gui while they were developing it but its no more. For easy of use I've made 2 launchers on my desktop for connecting/disconnecting. I'm sure they will make a gui eventually considering how much revenue they have been making.
Bzzz

Post by Bzzz »

DarkMatter15531 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:04 am
Bzzz wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:51 pm I have removed the GUI with sudo pip3 uninstall protonvpn-gui

Ya it was a decent gui while they were developing it but its no more. For easy of use I've made 2 launchers on my desktop for connecting/disconnecting. I'm sure they will make a gui eventually considering how much revenue they have been making.
However, there is something I do not understand. With the same ProtonVPN account, checking on ipleak.net, on Android and Windows it does not show my real IP, while on LinuxMint it leaks my IP.

Browser default: IPv6 shows the ProtonVPN IP, while Fallback: IPv4 shows my real IP.

I have checked this with many browsers and I do not have any explanation. I am currently using a .ovpn file, imported into Network Manager (the official recommended way of using ProtonVPN).

I don't understand whether this is a ProtonVPN issue, a Linux issue, a Linux browsers issues or if I did anything wrong....
DarkMatter15531
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved] How can I install ProtonVPN GUI?

Post by DarkMatter15531 »

Don't use the .ovpn files to connect directly, use the linux cli they provide here. Then afterwards check this website to see if the DNS is leaking your IP. Let us know how it goes, I've never had leaking issues myself with this personally.

Return to “Beginner Questions”