How do I view my Favorites Applet?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

How do I view my Favorites Applet?

Post by Oskar1224 »

In the Applets screen, Manage Tab, the Favorites App says “This Applet is currently enabled”

In the file manager the Favorites folder is “Empty” despite that I have added to it at least 6 programs from the Start Menu (I right click and select “Add to Favorites”)

But the Favorites App is nowhere to find to see what I installed on it.

What I do wrong?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Nicolas
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How do I view my Favorites Applet?

Post by Oskar1224 »

I opened a file in Nemo and rightclick and added to Favorites.

Now in Nemo this file shows but all the other programs I have rightclicked and add them to Favorites are not there

So How do I access Favorites?
Nicolas
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

I just added the Cinnamenu to my Desktop and now I have a new Apps category “Favorite Apps” which includes all the Apps I have added to my Favorites.

Why I don't have the Favorite Apps to my Main Menu? The Main Menu only has Favorites and only shows a document I added for testing purposes, it shows no apps

Perhaps I should delete the Main Menu and keep only the Cinnamenu?
Nicolas
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

Wondering.......

Why I got no answers so far on this thread?

Is my question so simple/stupid?

Did I reach some kind of a limit?
Nicolas
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Oskar1224 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:07 am ...
What is wrong with the Cinnamon Menu the way it is delivered?

Anyway, I would never install a thing like Cinnamenu ...

About the "Favorites" in the Nemo tree window: I will not update to 20.1 as long as I know how to remove the Favorites from the Nemo tree window...
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

I find the Cinnamenu more user friendly and the Favorite Apps are displayed properly where in the Cinnamon Menu the Favorite Apps are displayed vertically on the left column
Nicolas
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

If it meets your expectations, everything is fine.
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

Oskar1224 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:16 pm In the file manager the Favorites folder is “Empty” despite that I have added to it at least 6 programs from the Start Menu (I right click and select “Add to Favorites”)

What I do wrong?
Hi Oskar1224

I don't think you've done anything wrong. On my Mint 20.1 Cinnamon when I add a program to ‘Favourites’ it appears on the left hand side of the LM Menu (Windows key) – but I may have to scroll to find it - as it gets added below Firefox, Software Manager etc, but above the LockScreen, Logout etc.

When I add a document or a folder to ‘Favourites’ then Nemo creates the ‘Favourites folder’ and puts them there.

Mint seems to treat progams and data in different ways – unless someone else knows better. :D
mshmm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mshmm »

Unfortunately the Favourites in the Applications Menu and Cinnamenu are different from the Favourites in Nemo and the Favourites applet, as dorsetUK says.
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

To my opinion, a popular item like “Favorites” should have been up front and very easy to use/setup for all. I know I’m a beginner and know almost nothing about LM but it’s very frustrating to have so much difficulty with locating the Favorites. Searching the web proved useless, almost no hits on this subject.

Yesterday I discovered that the Cinnamenu had all my Favorite programs under “Favorite Apps” and right under below that was another entry “Favorite” and it had only one entry (a document I put in Nemo in the Favorite folder just to see what happens.

The Cinnamon Menu had neither of the above entries

However this morning I noticed that the Cinnamon Menu although it still didn’t have any entries like “Favorite Apps” or “Favorites” it had now my Favorite Apps on the left column vertically and scrolling up/dn I saw them all. Now why yesterday I had nothing and today I have I don’t know.

Bottom line is that the “Favorites” Apps or documents it’s still a grey area for me because I don’t know what activates them. Also in the panel I have 6 stars which I understand they represent Favorites but each one of this stars when I click on them points only to the document I installed in Nemo in the Favorites folder. Why these stars don’t point to my Favorite Apps?
Nicolas
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

absque fenestris wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:20 am
Oskar1224 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:07 am ...
What is wrong with the Cinnamon Menu the way it is delivered?
Anyway, I would never install a thing like Cinnamenu ...
About the "Favorites" in the Nemo tree window: I will not update to 20.1 as long as I know how to remove the Favorites from the Nemo tree window...
With my tiny experience on LM obviously I don’t know the difference between Cinnamenu and Cinnamon Menu but I can see that Cinnamenu had already the 2 Folders I was looking for “Favorite Apps” and “Favorites” and each one had what all my Apps and Documents. For now I will keep both until I learn more.

About the “Favorites” in Nemo tree Window I do have now as far as I know Cinnamon 20.1 so I don’t understand what your paragraph means. There a lot of things I do not understand, lol

Thank you for your time
Nicolas
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

In Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon, "Favorites" is not included in Nemo - but it is in Mint 20.1.
All the weird favorites or whatever their name is, drive me crazy under Windows 10 ...
... and I'm glad if they don't appear in Linux Mint.
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

absque fenestris wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:31 pm In Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon, "Favorites" is not included in Nemo - but it is in Mint 20.1.
All the weird favorites or whatever their name is, drive me crazy under Windows 10 ...
... and I'm glad if they don't appear in Linux Mint.
I understand,

I have been using Microsoft since the 80’s and I never touched the Favorites folder since I found Windows highly customizable and I have no need for any Favorites folder.

However with LM, customizing apps etc. I find it, at least as of now, extremely difficult and since I’m a freak of putting everything in the order I like, right now I struggle.

I understand on the LM Menu the items under “All Applications” are fixed (can’t edit/delete any) and that’s the main obstacle
Nicolas
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

Nicolas, try this:
Right click on the Menu icon (the main Linux Mint Menu in the bottom left hand corner of your screen), select "Configure", click the "Menu" tab, then look about halfway down that window and click on "Open the Menu Editor". This might give you some more customization options. There are also some other options in the "Menu" tab that might help.
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

newlyminted7 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:29 pm Nicolas, try this:
Right click on the Menu icon (the main Linux Mint Menu in the bottom left hand corner of your screen), select "Configure", click the "Menu" tab, then look about halfway down that window and click on "Open the Menu Editor". This might give you some more customization options. There are also some other options in the "Menu" tab that might help.
Thanks for the help newlyminted7

I have done this but the problem here is that you must know what to put into the “Command” line or click on the “Browse” button to get it from Nemo. However for a beginner like me both of these are useless since I don’t know either.

Another member on this forum posted a few days back a nice workaround to the above problem and that is lets say I want to add Blender in the Menu. So I add Blender to the desktop and then I rightclick on the Blender icon on the Desktop and then I can copy the command from the properties window. Lengthy but at least can be done.
Nicolas
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

I could not take a shot of what I wanted even using the Ksnip utility so I had to use my camera and the shoots attached are pretty good.

As you can see the Cinnamenu is much more useful since it includes the Favorite Apps + Favorites, but the Cinnamon Menu only has The Favorites and the Favorite Apps are shown only by scrolling up/dn in the left column.

Why the Cinnamenu can pick up the two Favorite entries and the Cinnamon Menu cannot? Is there a setting I can use to have the Cinnamon Menu show the same entries?
Menu Cinnamenu.jpg
Menu Cinnamon.jpg
Nicolas
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Just like asking: how many programs have you defined as favorites?
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

absque fenestris wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:42 pm Just like asking: how many programs have you defined as favorites?
Right now I have about 12-15 and none is important because I put them in the Favorite Apps just to test and see how it works.

Eventually I would like to see if I can group my programs in the Favorite Apps to have something similar to my Windows 10 which I attach here a snip. In each category you see there are perhaps 4-20 programs

I don’t think I can achieve something similar in LM as my Windows 10 but if I could get about 5% I would be very happy. If not then I will have to manage with what I have.
Windows Programs Menu.JPG
Nicolas
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

The whisker menu of Xfce has a Favourites section which you can add or remove applications to very easily with a right click in the menu.
I don't know cinnamon so I'm not sure how different its menu is from the Whisker menu but maybe a change to Xfce would be a possible solution for you?
Oskar1224
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Oskar1224 »

ajgreeny wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:41 pm The whisker menu of Xfce has a Favourites section which you can add or remove applications to very easily with a right click in the menu.
I don't know cinnamon so I'm not sure how different its menu is from the Whisker menu but maybe a change to Xfce would be a possible solution for you?
Thanks for the tip, I will have a look on Xfce.

Before I got Cinnamon I was told that it was the closest you can get to Windows and that’s why I got Cinnamon. For me it’s not a big deal to switch, what I learned so far on Cinnamon most likely would be applicable to Xfce
Nicolas

Return to “Beginner Questions”