AER device [15b7:5006] error on Linux Mint Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jae_1
Level 1
Level 1

AER device [15b7:5006] error on Linux Mint Cinnamon

Post by jae_1 »

Hello!

I have started using Linux a couple of months ago and installed Linux Mint Cinnamon in a double boot with Windows 10 on a Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5.
Everything worked fine throughout the last months. Two days ago my Linux suddenly crashed. Upon rebooting I got the following error:

Code: Select all

AER: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Physical Layer, (Receiver ID)
AER: device [15b7:5006] error status/mask=00000001/000e000
AER: [ 0] RxErr
I tried all of https://itsfoss.com/pcie-bus-error-severity-corrected/ as well as

pci=noaer
pci=nomsi
pcie_aspm=off
pci=nommconf
pci = nomsi results in another error:

ipc timed out for 0xB0010000 size 120
status = 0x001d003c panic =0x00000001
hda irq intsts 0x4000000000 intlctl 0x00000000 rirb 00
dsp irq ppsts 0x00000000 adspis 0x0050006
host staus 0x00000000 dsp status 0x00040000 mask 0x00000000
failed to set dai config for iDisp3
can't set iDisp3 Pin hw params: -110
All the other comments result either in a black screen or just the Lenovo Logo being shown.

I also tried setting all cpu's to performance node, didn't change anything either. I am really lost now and hope somebody can help.
Happy to provide any additional information if needed.

Best,

Jae
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: AER device [15b7:5006] error on Linux Mint Cinnamon

Post by SMG »

Welcome to the forum, jae_1.

This sounds like it may be your situation AER device [15b7:5006] error on Ubuntu 20.04 and Intel SpeedStep Technology. The person decided to "have led me to switch off in the setup of the computer Lenovo E15 the Intel SpeedStep Technology:
SETUP>CONFIG>POWER>Intel SpeedStep Technology> [On]-->Off
and so, the error disappears and the boot of Ubuntu 20.04 go normally."

I do not know how similar that Lenovo is to yours, but maybe that will help.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
jae_1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jae_1 »

Thanks for pointing this out!

I tried following the steps and setting all my cpu's to performance mode, but that didn't change anything.
Is there any other way I can set the SpeedStep Technology to off in Recovery mode?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

jae_1 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:20 amIs there any other way I can set the SpeedStep Technology to off in Recovery mode?
When I read that link, I thought the turning SpeedStep Technology off could be done in the BIOS/UEFI.

I do not know what might have changed in the install or what a Win10 update might have changed on your computer.

Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.

If you can not get into your system using Recovery Mode, then boot to a live session of Mint using your install usb/DVD to get the information for us.
jae_1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jae_1 »

Hi SMG!

Thanks for your support! I went into recovery mode to get the required information but wasn't able to copy and upload it here (I haven't managed to connect to Wifi from the root) but I took a picture and I hope that works as well?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZgCAPF ... sp=sharing
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

jae_1 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:13 pmI have started using Linux a couple of months ago and installed Linux Mint Cinnamon in a double boot with Windows 10 on a Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5.
Everything worked fine throughout the last months.
Your computer has a 10th gen Intel processor and Iris graphics, yet you were running the 5.4 kernel. If I recall correctly, that kernel does not have the graphics driver for Iris. One needs to install the 5.8 kernel (which is available in Update Manager) in order to get Iris graphics working properly. So I would question whether everything "worked fine".
jae_1 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:35 pm (I haven't managed to connect to Wifi from the root)
Photos work. Are you able to use any of the other Recovery Options besides root?

Are you able to boot to a live session of Mint from a usb? I would suggest using this ISO Linux Mint 20.1 "Ulyssa" - Cinnamon (Edge, 64-bit) which comes with the 5.8 kernel.
jae_1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jae_1 »

First of all, thank you very much for your support - I literally would have no clue what to do otherwise...
SMG wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:11 pm
jae_1 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:13 pmI have started using Linux a couple of months ago and installed Linux Mint Cinnamon in a double boot with Windows 10 on a Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5.
Everything worked fine throughout the last months.
Your computer has a 10th gen Intel processor and Iris graphics, yet you were running the 5.4 kernel. If I recall correctly, that kernel does not have the graphics driver for Iris. One needs to install the 5.8 kernel (which is available in Update Manager) in order to get Iris graphics working properly. So I would question whether everything "worked fine".

Well, at least as far as I could tell everything worked fine - so I could just normally use the laptop.
jae_1 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:35 pm (I haven't managed to connect to Wifi from the root)Photos work. Are you able to use any of the other Recovery Options besides root?
Yes, I am able to use resume, clean, dpkg etc.
SMG wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:11 pm
Are you able to boot to a live session of Mint from a usb? I would suggest using this ISO Linux Mint 20.1 "Ulyssa" - Cinnamon (Edge, 64-bit) which comes with the 5.8 kernel.
Yes, I checked with USB that I used for installing my current version and that works. So I should create a live USB of this version and then re-install Mint? Would I then be able to still access all the files/programs I have in my current version?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

jae_1 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:00 pm
Are you able to use any of the other Recovery Options besides root?
What happens why you use resume? Does the system boot?

Do you have the drive or any partitions encrypted?
jae_1 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:00 pmYes, I checked with USB that I used for installing my current version and that works. So I should create a live USB of this version and then re-install Mint? Would I then be able to still access all the files/programs I have in my current version?
You can use the live session to copy data from the install. Or even copy your entire /home directory and copy it back after re-installing (if you decide to re-install).

If you re-install, you would have to re-install and set up your programs again. We should probably try and get it working before going that route.

Do you have any Timeshift snapshots saved? If you are able to boot to a live session of Mint without getting errors, it seems like something on your current install and not the SpeedStep might be the issue. If SpeedStep was the issue, I would not think that you could boot successfully to the live session.
jae_1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jae_1 »

SMG wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:32 pm
jae_1 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:00 pm
Are you able to use any of the other Recovery Options besides root?
What happens why you use resume? Does the system boot?
All the same - I get stuck at the Lenovo Logo, so not able to boot.
SMG wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:32 pm Do you have the drive or any partitions encrypted?
Not that I would know.

I am still able to boot into the live session and saved all my data now. I was also able to find Timeshift snapshots. Is there anything I can infer from these snapshots about the cause of the error? Would it be helpful if I upload these to a drive and provide them to you?

Thanks so much for your continuous support!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

jae_1 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:00 pm
SMG wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:32 pm Do you have the drive or any partitions encrypted?
Not that I would know.
Unless someone else installed Mint for you, then you would know if it was encrypted because that is a specific choice you would make during installation. Encryption can make troubleshooting more difficult, but your system is not encrypted so we do not have to worry about that.
jae_1 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:00 pmI am still able to boot into the live session and saved all my data now.
The fact you were able to boot into a live session does make it seem like something happened to your Mint install.
jae_1 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:00 pmI was also able to find Timeshift snapshots. Is there anything I can infer from these snapshots about the cause of the error? Would it be helpful if I upload these to a drive and provide them to you?
The idea of snapshots is that you would restore your computer to a snapshot and hopefully the computer would then boot without any problems. If so, that would mean something happened in between the time you made the snapshot and when the problem started.

Sometimes running updates can cause problems on certain hardware. If you restore to a snapshot and the system works, then you could add the updates one at time (or in small batches) to troubleshoot which one may have caused the issue.
jae_1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jae_1 »

I managed to reset to the last snapshot through running the live version. Now everything is working as normal again.
Thank you so much for your help! Would you nonetheless suggest to update to the specific Linux Mint Version that you suggested?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

jae_1 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:20 pmI managed to reset to the last snapshot through running the live version. Now everything is working as normal again.
Good news! :)
jae_1 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:20 pmThank you so much for your help! Would you nonetheless suggest to update to the specific Linux Mint Version that you suggested?
You're welcome.

Let's see what graphics drivers are installed on your system. Please run inxi -SMCGx in a terminal. Then copy the results and click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code].
jae_1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jae_1 »

Here you go :)

System:
  Host: jay Kernel: 5.4.0-54-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7 Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana 
  base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Convertible System: LENOVO product: 81X1 v: IdeaPad Flex 5 14IIL05 
  serial: <superuser/root required> 
  Mobo: LENOVO model: LNVNB161216 v: SDK0J40709 WIN 
  serial: <superuser/root required> UEFI: LENOVO v: ECCN30WW 
  date: 09/07/2020 
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-1065G7 bits: 64 type: MT MCP 
  arch: Ice Lake rev: 5 L2 cache: 8192 KiB 
  flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx 
  bogomips: 23961 
  Speed: 888 MHz min/max: 400/3900 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 899 2: 958 
  3: 897 4: 930 5: 948 6: 979 7: 934 8: 942 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Iris Plus Graphics G7 vendor: Lenovo driver: i915 
  v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP108M [GeForce MX330] vendor: Lenovo driver: N/A 
  bus ID: 01:00.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel Iris Plus Graphics (ICL GT2) 
  v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.8 direct render: Yes 

SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

The graphics driver is there (in blue). What packages are showing as being available to update in Update Manager? I noticed two of the graphics packages (in orange) are not the latest available.

Graphics:
Device-1: Intel Iris Plus Graphics G7 vendor: Lenovo driver: i915
v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0
Device-2: NVIDIA GP108M [GeForce MX330] vendor: Lenovo driver: N/A
bus ID: 01:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel Iris Plus Graphics (ICL GT2)
v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.8 direct render: Yes

You also do not have the latest 5.4 kernel installed.

I suggest you run the updates available in Driver Manager and reboot the system to make sure all is working.
jae_1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jae_1 »

If I go into the driver manager it says 'Your computer does not need any additional drivers'.

Today I was installing a Python package (which I have never tried installing so far) and the same thing happened again. So the laptop stopped reacting and I shut it down and upon reboot I got the same AER error. Again went into the life session and did recovery to the snapshot.

I am pretty sure the specific python package is not causing it, as I haven't tried to install it the first time I had this problem. Do you have any idea what could be the origin of the issue?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Sorry, I now see I typed the wrong app in the prior post. I meant to say Update Manager and not Driver Manager. Your system is missing updates for the software installed on your system.

What python package were you trying to install? A lot of Linux Mint is written in python.
jae_1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jae_1 »

I ran the update manager which worked fine except two firefox updates that somehow could not be installed. When rebooting (as indicated by the update manager) it didn't work anymore - I just got stuck at the Lenovo Logo for 10min. Then I forced a shutdown and reverted using Timeshift.

So not sure if the update might be triggering the error as well? :?:
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

If you notice, there's no driver for the Nvidia card showing in the inxi report. Driver Manager should have recommended one.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Larry78723 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:54 amIf you notice, there's no driver for the Nvidia card showing in the inxi report. Driver Manager should have recommended one.
It will only make a recommendation if one is not installed. Currently, the way the switchable graphics are working is when running Intel (which is what is currently being run), the Nvidia driver will show as N/A even if it is installed. The fact Driver Manager is not recommending a driver seems to indicate one is already installed. There are also some bugs currently in the files related to switchable graphics. I think it's better to focus on the issue of the thread which at this point does not seem to be related to graphics drivers.

@jae_1 - It seems one of the updates is causing an issue. In order to troubleshoot this, I would recommend reverting back to the snapshot and then applying the updates one at a time to see which one might be the issue. In Update Manager, you can de-select the options which come up for install so not all of them are done at once.

Return to “Beginner Questions”