Can someone please tell me what this error message is?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ovrflo
Level 3
Level 3

Can someone please tell me what this error message is?

Post by ovrflo »

Can someone please tell me what this error message is? I get an email 1/hour (likely due to anacron running with a TimeShift job.)
When I check timeshift I don't see any error logs.

Code: Select all

(process:15786): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 04:00:01.833: g_file_get_path: assertion 'G_IS_FILE (file)' failed

** (process:15786): CRITICAL **: 04:00:01.833: tee_jee_file_system_path_combine: assertion 'path1 != NULL' failed

** (process:15786): CRITICAL **: 04:00:01.833: tee_jee_file_system_dir_exists: assertion 'dir_path != NULL' failed
Mounted '/dev/sde1' at '/run/timeshift/backup'
Weekly snapshots are enabled
Last weekly snapshot is 0 days old
Monthly snapshot are enabled
Last monthly snapshot is 21 days old
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Can someone please tell me what this error message is?

Post by SMG »

ovrflo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:37 amWhen I check timeshift I don't see any error logs.
Where are you checking for error logs?

Is Timeshift actually making snapshots when you have it set to make snapshots?
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
ovrflo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ovrflo »

SMG wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:57 pm
ovrflo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:37 amWhen I check timeshift I don't see any error logs.
Where are you checking for error logs?

Is Timeshift actually making snapshots when you have it set to make snapshots?
Thanks for the reply. From what I can tell Timeshift appears to be making backups ok... I don't see any errors in the log. I started getting emails every hour when I installed ssmtp (because I need it so I can send emails from scripts I have written). For now I removed the option to all root to send emails, but that doesn't resolve a problem if one exists. I don't understand the error message and what it is trying to say.
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

Looks like an issue has been raised with the developer / team at https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift/issues/596
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ovrflo wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:02 am I don't understand the error message and what it is trying to say.
Timeshift runs once an hour to check and see if it is supposed to make a snapshot. Unless you have it set to hourly snapshots, it will not make a snapshot every time it checks. My guess is the error message is because you do not have hourly snapshots set and that is the response from the system saying, "nope, not time to make a snapshot." It "fails" to make a snapshot because it is not time to make one. That is only a guess on my part about the message.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

It seems that workaround here may be to disable automatic snapshots and set up a schedule with Cron.
dave0808 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:46 am Looks like an issue has been raised with the developer / team at https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift/issues/596
Good luck with that, teejee2008 ignores 95 per cent of the submitted issues, or more, if you consider such developer's replies as "If you are interested to work on the issue, please go ahead, and submit a pull request with the changes".
-=t42=-
ovrflo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ovrflo »

Given that this app is one of the bundled apps that come with Linux Mint, and it is highly promoted for update recovery, is these any support from the LM team?

Does anybody at least know what these error messages are trying to communicate? It might help with a bitter work around and determining if this message is just log spam, or an indication of something that would damage a backup.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

If it works, it works.... Even if it produces some ugly error messages that most people won't read anyway. If the devs can think of better things to spend their time on, I can't blame 'em. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
ovrflo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ovrflo »

Pjotr wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:57 am If it works, it works.... Even if it produces some ugly error messages that most people won't read anyway. If the devs can think of better things to spend their time on, I can't blame 'em. :mrgreen:
Yes, I can see your point. It would be nice to know what the message actually means... If anybody has some insight.

Return to “Beginner Questions”