[Sort of SOLVED] Suspend does not work in 20.1, but suspend did work on same hardware in 19.2

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vestur
Level 2
Level 2

[Sort of SOLVED] Suspend does not work in 20.1, but suspend did work on same hardware in 19.2

Post by vestur »

Just installed LinuxMint Cinnamon 20.1. Everything works fine. Really nice OS.
(Restart button works. Shut down button works. Log out button works).
Suspend button does not work.

When I press suspend in the menu, then my monitor display turns off in power saving mode and afterwards cannot be turned again no matter what button I press. My computer does stay on all the time and does not go in suspend. I have to kill the power switch to be able to do a reboot and get my monitor back again...

Suspend worked fine (on my 12 year old computer) when LM 19.2 Cinnamon was installed.

I have read several issues on this forum about sound and supsend in LM20.1, but my sound does work fine. However I have tried one suggestion related to sound.
Below I have pasted the result of a terminal command that was suggested by someone, which was related to sound and it showed a exit 99 code failure related to alsa ctl. I have no clue what it means.

This is the terminal command:

Code: Select all

~$ journalctl --system --boot=0 | egrep -i "suspend|resume|entry|exit"
Below is the result:

Code: Select all

apr 10 09:13:06 peecee kernel: Dentry cache hash table entries: 524288 (order: 10, 4194304 bytes, linear)

apr 10 09:13:10 peecee anacron[458]: Normal exit (0 jobs run)

apr 10 09:13:19 peecee systemd-udevd[417]: controlC0: Process '/usr/sbin/alsactl -E HOME=/run/alsa -E XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/alsa/runtime restore 0' failed with exit code 99.

apr 10 09:32:15 peecee anacron[3971]: Normal exit (0 jobs run)
apr 10 10:34:07 peecee anacron[5969]: Normal exit (0 jobs run)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Suspend does not work in 20.1, but suspend did work on same hardware in 19.2

Post by SMG »

Welcome to the forum, vestur.

Suspend issues can sometimes be related to graphics drivers. Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
vestur
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Suspend does not work in 20.1, but suspend did work on same hardware in 19.2

Post by vestur »

Thanks for the welcome SMG!

I have tried several older and newer kernels, but there is no difference: suspend does not work on my 12 year old computer in any of the .5 kernels, which are present in LinuxMint 20.

I have tried several other Linux OS distributions and they all have similar suspend problems with my 12 year old computer with the .5 kernels.

Only all the .4 kernels seem to work splendidly for suspend with my old computer.

"Solution":
I am reverting back to LinuxMint 19.2 with the 4.15 kernel. That worked well before and LM19 still is supported until april of 2023. I guess by then I have to look for a bit younger piece of hardware... :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”