format a USB stick ext4

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
truckdriverrod
Level 1
Level 1

format a USB stick ext4

Post by truckdriverrod »

I need to make backup to USB stick. How do I format the stick to ext4 so Linux Mint can backup to it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Oldun
Level 1
Level 1

Re: format a USB stick ext4

Post by Oldun »

Hi,
Suggest you use USB Stick Formatter, available from the Mint menu
Lenovo T480s i5 Mint Cinnamon Mint 21.2 Victoria
truckdriverrod
Level 1
Level 1

Post by truckdriverrod »

Thank you I found it and it is formatting at this time. Thank you again
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

If you do much work with USB drives, I recommend you install GParted and use that. Available in repo, so can be installed with Software Manager, Synaptic Package Manager, or in Terminal with apt install gparted. Gives you more options than the simple formatter on Menu.

Be aware, you can't use GParted on the internal hard drive unless you boot a live session. To work with partitions, they need to be idle and not mounted.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Be aware that if you create an ext4 partition with gparted it will be owned by root and read-only. You will need to chown it when mounted to get read/write. Easy to do:

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER /wherever_it_mounts
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Beginner Questions”