[SOLVED] No sound whatsoever, LM 20.1 MATE, Acer Aspire 5

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wayfarer51
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] No sound whatsoever, LM 20.1 MATE, Acer Aspire 5

Post by wayfarer51 »

I have no sound, either on speakers or headphones, on my new Acer Aspire 5 that I just converted from Windows, I don't know if the sound was working in Windows because I converted right away. Nothing from Firefox, Pandora, Clementine or VLC. Not even any system sounds.

I;m not sure if I still qualify as a newbie (I've been around since March 2020), but I;m in over my head.

Would someone please be so kind as to help me? Lack of any sound kinda sorta detracts from the experience.

Thanks for any help.

wayfarer
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: No sound whatsoever, LM 20.1 MATE, Acer Aspire 5

Post by MrEen »

Hi wayfarer51,

Let's get a look at your sound setup with this command:

Code: Select all

curl https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/raw/master/src/utils/pa-info?inline=false | bash | nc termbin.com 9999
The last line of output will have a URL pointing to the info. Pasting that URL is all I need.
wayfarer51
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wayfarer51 »

https://termbin.com/5lef

Mr Een, we meet again. I doubt you'll remember me, but I remember your invaluable assistance.

wayfarer.
Linux Mint 20.2 MATE
Acer Aspire 5 Laptop, 15", i5, 8gb, 256gb SSD
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I do remember you, and we should have a fairly quick resolution again. :D

In the Update Manager click on View > Linux kernels, and install the latest 5.8 kernel. Reboot when done, and I suspect you'll be all fixed up.
wayfarer51
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wayfarer51 »

Well, Mr Een, you've done it again! The sound works. I'm listening to Steely Dan and recounting my good fortune.

Thank you so much! I appreciate your efforts.

wayfarer
Linux Mint 20.2 MATE
Acer Aspire 5 Laptop, 15", i5, 8gb, 256gb SSD
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: [SOLVED] No sound whatsoever, LM 20.1 MATE, Acer Aspire 5

Post by MrEen »

You're quite welcome!

You're becoming my favorite person to help here, as all your issues have been so easy to solve! :lol:

Return to “Beginner Questions”