[SOLVED] No sound on my Dell XPS 9700 with Ubuntu 20.10 - only "Dummy Output'

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: No Sound on my Dell XPS 9700 - only "Dummy Output'

Post by MrEen »

This should do it, but again, this is for the 5.11 kernel:

Code: Select all

grep CONFIG_SND_SOC_INTEL_SOUNDWIRE_SOF_MACH /boot/config-`uname -r`
Kalytis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kalytis »

MrEen wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:09 pm This should do it, but again, this is for the 5.11 kernel:

grep CONFIG_SND_SOC_INTEL_SOUNDWIRE_SOF_MACH /boot/config-`uname -r`
After reinstalling a 5.11 kernel, I tried this command : no help, unfortunately
Kalytis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kalytis »

PROBLEM (half) SOLVED

So I figured I'd try these procedures on a fresh Ubuntu 20.04. I installed it, then ran

apt install linux-oem-20.04
Which installed the 5.6 kernel as planned.

Then I just had to select this kernel as default (using this method), reboot, and everything was working fine, nothing more !

Thank you so, so, so much for your precious time, MrEen !
Last edited by Kalytis on Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: [SOLVED] No sound on my Dell XPS 9700 with Ubuntu 20.10 - only "Dummy Output'

Post by MrEen »

Nicely done Kalytis! :D

I can only guess Ubuntu messed up the 5.11 kernel that should have fixed this. It may get straightened out soon-ish.

And thanks for mentioning the kernel only was enough for you. Next user with that system we'll try the same with first.
Kalytis
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] No sound on my Dell XPS 9700 with Ubuntu 20.10 - only "Dummy Output'

Post by Kalytis »

Hi !

Can't help but notice that you've been quite discreet on this forum recently, MrEen, I hope everything is going good for you !

Anyway, just an update. For some reason, I stopped getting any sound with my 5.6.0-1056-oem kernel, installed from "apt install linux-oem-20.04". I figured I'd pop an eye on the thread with a similar problem from mine, and noticed hglee mentionned a compatible 5.10 default kernel.

Unsure of the outcome, I went "apt full-upgrade", which installed a 5.10.0-1029-oem kernel. Then went in my /etc/default/grub, and set GRUB_DEFAULT to 0, as explained on this website that I mentionned earlier.

Rebooted, and my sound worked again ! Now running a 5.10.0-1029-oem kernel.

Hope this can help other people whose computer stopped producing any sound !
steph68
Level 2
Level 2

Post by steph68 »

Hello Kalytis,

I have the same hardware, same kernel but no sound. There should be something else different...
Could you help me finding these differences ?

do you have the list of things you installed, ... ?

thanks
Running Mint on XPS9700

Return to “Beginner Questions”