error issue

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
millipede
Level 1
Level 1

error issue

Post by millipede »

I don't see much activity in this forum. Is it dead? or just not a lot of newbies to ask questions?

I don't really use Mint myself right now... but booting up a computer that's been sitting around for a while. I set up Mint for my wife a while back... the computer has been sitting so long, I just want to get in long enough to see if there were any files of importance on it.
But I have not messed with Mint since I set this up and know little, well maybe nothing...

I believe it said it was Mint 19 when booting. I got an error though and don't know what to do next..... I'll use () where [] are found... and I don't know if there's a space between one number and the c9aa because it's on the next line...

Code: Select all

(    0.051423)   ACPI Error: Needed type (Reference), found (integer) 0000000088b9 c9aa (20170831/exresop-103)
(    0.051463)   ACPI exception: AE_AML_OPERAND_TYPE, While resolving operands for (store) (20170831/dswexec-461)
(    0.051513)   ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_PR.CPUO._PDC, AE_AML_OPERAND_TYPE (20170831/psparse-550)

BusyBox v1.27.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.27.2-2ubuntu3) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
Is there a way to boot all the way to the system/OS so I can see if there's anything worth saving off the laptop, without reformatting the drive?
And keep in mind, I have no idea what I'm doing... but can follow step by step instructions. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: error issue

Post by SMG »

millipede wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:45 pmI don't see much activity in this forum. Is it dead? or just not a lot of newbies to ask questions?
I just did a quick count an there were more than three dozen threads with new posts today on the newbie section. That sounds "alive" to me.
millipede wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:45 pm I got an error though and don't know what to do next.....
Since you just want to see what is on the computer, if you have the installation usb/dvd available that you used to install Mint, you can boot to a live session of Mint and navigate to the home directory on the hard drive using the File Manager app to see what files are there.

If you do not have the installation media, you will want to determine the issue so the error can be fixed. Normally, one needs to repair the file system so Mint will boot. (That is different than reformatting the drive.) See this thread [SOLVED]: BusyBox built-in shell (ash) Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands (fsck doesn't work?) for information.

If you have additional questions or concerns, just post again in this thread.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

millipede wrote: I don't see much activity in this forum.
search.php?search_id=active_topics
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

What SMG said, boot a live session and review the internal drive's files from there.

Have a USB drive handy, so you can copy out anything of importance. You can do that from the live session also.
millipede
Level 1
Level 1

Post by millipede »

I just did a quick count an there were more than three dozen threads with new posts today on the newbie section. That sounds "alive" to me.
I think I didn't scroll far, maybe just saw the dates on pinned posts... weird, I know I didn't see much new... oh well.

So, I don't know if I should have done this... and honestly, it doesn't matter...
I went to the link mentioned and saw the directions to fix that person's problem... with fsck... silly me tried the info that person was suggested... after that didn't do anything a few times... I took a closer look and saw how to type it in based on which file was called up in the error... so, I typed in what they had said and put in the file mentioned on mine instead... hit enter...
That was over 24 hours ago... it's still doing something. one file at a time or something, I'm not sure.
I didn't think it would be going this long. It's going through a LOT of files and, perhaps, the laptop is just SLOW... it is older.
I'm not worried about it. I'll let it keep doing whatever it's doing.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

millipede wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:37 pmSo, I don't know if I should have done this...
I put it there as an option to consider.

If it looks like it is still doing something, then just let it run. :)
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

I respectfully disagree. fsck should take only minutes. 24 hours sounds like a loop, on a hard drive which might be failing.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

linux-rox wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:14 pm I respectfully disagree. fsck should take only minutes. 24 hours sounds like a loop, on a hard drive which might be failing.
If it is a loop, would we be able to verify that if millipede takes a photo of the screen and posts it?

Is there a way to safely stop it?
millipede
Level 1
Level 1

Post by millipede »

I have a feeling it's not a loop... It's going through files, one at a time... taking 10 to 25 seconds a file...
I can't say for sure about it looping but the numbers are going up... the hdd failing is a possibility... it's an older laptop.

Here's a screenshot showing what it's doing...
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-04-13 183353.jpg
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Good luck.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

millipede wrote: ... so I can see if there's anything worth saving off the laptop ...
If this is your goal, consider booting to a live session via USB/DVD and investigate from there.

Return to “Beginner Questions”