System is not shutting down

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AK-CHP2
Level 1
Level 1

System is not shutting down

Post by AK-CHP2 »

I am using linux mint 20.1 and many times when I try to shut down the system, the screen goes off for a while and the linux mint icon appears but it doesn't shuts down, the screen never turn off until the power supply is directly cut. At the same time the red light of my CPU cabinet turns off (not even a single blink) and only blue light glows. What can be the possible reasons for this? How to fix this?
Following is my system information:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: ak-edu Kernel: 5.4.0-70-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: N/A model: N/A serial: <superuser/root required> BIOS: American Megatrends v: 080014 
           date: 05/12/2014 
CPU:       Dual Core: Intel Core2 Duo E4500 type: MCP speed: 2046 MHz 
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 82G33/G31 Express Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: intel unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1024x768~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel G33 v: 1.4 Mesa 20.2.6 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet driver: r8169 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 74.53 GiB used: 33.33 GiB (44.7%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD800BD-22MRA1 size: 74.53 GiB 
Info:      Processes: 188 Uptime: 56m Memory: 1.93 GiB used: 1.20 GiB (61.9%) Shell: bash inxi: 3.0.38 

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: System is not shutting down

Post by SMG »

I do not know what the red and blue lights mean on your system, so I do not know how that relates to the issue.

When the Linux Mint icon is up, you can press the Escape key to see if there are messages on screen that might indicate what is happening.

Did this only start when you moved to LM20.1 or was it happening on prior versions as well? It seems quite a few people have been running into issues shutting down their computer which are fixed when they update their BIOS/UEFI, so check to make sure you have the latest version.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
JTJersey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JTJersey »

SMG wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:22 pm I do not know what the red and blue lights mean on your system, so I do not know how that relates to the issue.
I'm thinking he means the red HDD activity light is off so there's no HDD activity, but the blue power on light is still lit and the computer is still running.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

AK-CHP2 wrote: CPU: Dual Core: Intel Core2 Duo E4500
If it were me, I'd consider that a 2007-era CPU, with integrated graphics and 2 GBs RAM, may do better with something more appropriate than the 5.4.x kernel series and Cinnamon desktop. :)

I'd try LM 19.2 Xfce (supported until April 2023), as it has a DE and kernel series better suited for hardware of that age.
AK-CHP2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AK-CHP2 »

SMG wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:22 pm Did this only start when you moved to LM20.1 or was it happening on prior versions as well? It seems quite a few people have been running into issues shutting down their computer which are fixed when they update their BIOS/UEFI, so check to make sure you have the latest version.
Yes I am facing this issue only in Linux Mint 20.1. I have not seen anything like this in previous versions. And my motherboard doesn't supports UEFI. There is no firmware update.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

SMG wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:22 pmWhen the Linux Mint icon is up, you can press the Escape key to see if there are messages on screen that might indicate what is happening.
Did you try this?
AK-CHP2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AK-CHP2 »

Yes I tried and here is what I found.
What does it mean? How to fix this?
(I couldn't take a better Image...)

Thanks...
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

AK-CHP2 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:29 amI have not seen anything like this in previous versions. And my motherboard doesn't supports UEFI. There is no firmware update.
BIOS is firmware just like UEFI is. It is possible your system has the latest BIOS available.
AK-CHP2 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:02 amWhat does it mean? How to fix this?
(I couldn't take a better Image...)
The image is pretty clear. This issue is happening after the system journal stops (notice the "Reached target Power-off" message just before the kernel panic), so photos are the only way I currently know to get the messages.

The error messages indicate a kernel panic is happening. It looks like libgcrypt may be involved. A quick search indicates this could relate to security with multiple different programs. (Spotify was one I found referenced to it.) . Since this does not happen every time you shut down, it could relate to a specific program and only on boot cycles when you run that program does the issue occur.
AK-CHP2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AK-CHP2 »

SMG wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:36 pm it could relate to a specific program and only on boot cycles when you run that program does the issue occur.
How to identify that program? Will the problem be solved after uninstalling that program?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

AK-CHP2 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:04 amHow to identify that program? Will the problem be solved after uninstalling that program?
Intermittent problems are often more of a challenge to identify. Are there programs you have installed that you use only occassionally? Check to see if on the days you use those programs those are the days there are problems shutting down.

Without knowing if there is a specific program that might be an issue, I do not know for sure that removing the program will resolve the issue.
AK-CHP2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AK-CHP2 »

As the kernel panic occurs occasionally, is there any big issue if this problem continues...? I couldn't find any method to fix this.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Someone in another thread switched to LM19.2 with the 4.15 kernel and the panics stopped.

I suppose you can periodically run fsck to make sure the system is not getting corrupted when you power off. I do not know what other adverse effects might happen.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

This help me with a shutdown issue. Try in terminal:

Code: Select all

poweroff 

Return to “Beginner Questions”