sha256sum, issues

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

sha256sum, issues

Post by chazb »

(Preparation

1. Create a directory called "ISO" in your home directory.

2. Move the ISO image you downloaded in this directory.

3. Download the following files (right-click -> Save As...) and move them into the "ISO" directory.)

This is from the instructions for verifying the ISO image. My question is, how to move the ISO image t my newly created ISO folder. I the drop down list there is no option to "move" except to trash.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LanceM

Re: sha256sum, issues

Post by LanceM »

This works, Right click the iso and choose check SHA256
Screenshot from 2021-04-13 21-54-08.jpg
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

There are multiple ways to move the file.
1) in Nemo you can enable the "Move" context menu command:
move.png
Then you can open the Extra Pane by pressing F3, navigate to the ISO file on the left pane, navigate to the ISO directory on the right pane, right-click on the ISO file and choose "Move to -> Other Pane".

2) You can open two panes, or two Nemo windows, one with the file and one with the ISO directory, and drag/drop the ISO file into the ISO directory. This will most likely copy the file, not move it. You can delete the older copy.

3) You can use a terminal command:

Code: Select all

mv /path/to/the/ISO/file.iso /path/to/the/ISO/directory
For example:

Code: Select all

mv /home/spamegg/Downloads/linuxmint-20.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso /home/spamegg/ISO
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

And yet another option is to right-click on the file and select 'Cut', then right-click on the ISO directory and select 'Paste into folder'.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

I would default to what dave0808 said with the cut/paste as I kind of assume this is the default/standard thing just about everyone uses when moving or copying files to random folders in the file manager.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce

Return to “Beginner Questions”