Very confused, copy and paist

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Very confused, copy and paist

Post by chazb »

So I copy what I thought was the title of file in Downloads to paist into another file through the Terminal. And it didn't work in terminal so I close the terminal and go back to Downloads and the file is gone, and I didn't "cut". I am Pissed...................................
\
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Very confused, copy and paist

Post by wallyUSA »

chazb wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:30 pm So I copy what I thought was the title of file in Downloads to paist into another file through the Terminal. And it didn't work in terminal so I close the terminal and go back to Downloads and the file is gone, and I didn't "cut". I am Pissed...................................
\
Check trash to see if it was deleted.

Can you determined what was the folder when you were in terminal. Perhaps it is in that? Maybe given a diff name?

If it is not in Downloads, it must have gone somewhere. Maybe do a global search of that drive?

Just some things to try :idea:
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-101 Cinn 6.0.4
chazb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chazb »

I found it, and it is where I sent it.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

You can expand the right-click (context) options for your file manager.
Depends on your desktop environment regarding the how-to

If you hold Alt during drag and drop you get choices move/copy/make link
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

all41 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:42 pm ...If you hold Alt during drag and drop you get choices move/copy/make link
Thanks for that tip!
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

chazb wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:30 pm So I copy what I thought was the title of file in Downloads to paist into another file through the Terminal. And it didn't work in terminal so I close the terminal and go back to Downloads and the file is gone, and I didn't "cut". I am Pissed...................................
\
In terminal, CTRL+SHIFT+v for paste. Add the SHIFT key also for c for copy. That's specific to terminal. Also default for paste in terminal is set for middle mouse click if you like that method.

CTRL+c, CTRL+v is typical for copy/paste.

To copy the name of a file I only know to firstly right-click to get the "Rename" option, otherwise if you try to copy from just the icon that's a complete file copy, not the name of that file, or if you use the path bar in a file manager then it typically copies the entire path and the filename altogether.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

zcot wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:43 am ...To copy the name of a file I only know to firstly right-click to get the "Rename" option, otherwise if you try to copy from just the icon that's a complete file copy, not the name of that file...
I used that trick in XP and Win 7, then found it also works in Mint 19.x Cinnamon. However, if I clicked on a file name in Windows to highlight it, then clicked it again a second later, it would go into rename mode; pity that doesn't work that way in Linux.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
spamegg
Level 13
Level 13

Post by spamegg »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:08 am However, if I clicked on a file name in Windows to highlight it, then clicked it again a second later, it would go into rename mode; pity that doesn't work that way in Linux.
That can be enabled in Cinnamon/Nemo: "click on a file's name twice to rename it"
rename.png
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

spamegg wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:33 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:08 am However, if I clicked on a file name in Windows to highlight it, then clicked it again a second later, it would go into rename mode; pity that doesn't work that way in Linux.
That can be enabled in Cinnamon/Nemo: "click on a file's name twice to rename it"
rename.png
It took me a while to find it but thank you! Playing around in there, I found other useful or potentially useful things. Again, thank you!
Jeannie

Return to “Beginner Questions”