multi-boot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
priyanshuawasthi1714
Level 1
Level 1

multi-boot

Post by priyanshuawasthi1714 »

my windows got corrupted and is having some bugs and it's killing me. Instead of trying to reinstall it all over again i thought wouldn't it be a nice idea to multi boot linux, will the bugs like automatic shut down that i'm facing in windows continue in linux too???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: multi-boot

Post by karlchen »

priyanshuawasthi1714 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:00 pmwill the bugs like automatic shut down that i'm facing in windows continue in linux too?
Sadly, all the crystal balls in use here in this forum fell off the tables yesterday and are all broken now :wink:

Seriously:
Without having the faintest idea what the technical specifications of your machine are, no-one can give any meaningful forecast.

Recommendation:
Create a Linux Mint live system. Boot your machine from the Linux Mint live system. Test everything, which is relevant to you, thoroughly and find out yourself, whether your machine works properly on Linux Mint.

Linux Mint Releases (consider Mint 20.1, for really old hardware LM 19.3)
Linux Mint Installation Guide (Chapters on Download & Live Boot)
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Doing a dual boot from Windows and Linux worlds from the same storage drive is just a recipe for problems. Even if everything in your Windows install was working perfectly fine..depending on the machine/motherboard, a windows update can mess with a Linux distro's ability to even boot. That is only one of many examples I've seen in person why it isn't a good idea. There are just so many variables and things to keep up with and I've seen just way to many problems of a multitude of varieties ( and yes..listed on this site) of sensible reasons why one should not dual boot windows and linux from the same storage drive...sometimes..even from the same PC.

You're really better off, and safer off, installing whatever Linux distro clean and by itself into a separate storage drive if at all possible and only boot from that drive when you want to deal with Linux. Safely power off the PC when done. When you want to deal with Windows, disconnect the drive Linux distro is installed into, reconnect the Windows installed drive, and power it on and boot it up.

This guarantees that any problems you have with that Linux install..OR your Windows installation are sandboxed from each other and know they have absolutely no effect/nothing to do with causing the problem with the other world.

Following this logic I have never encountered a single problem regardless except having to toggle my time zone deal in Windows 10 last year ( before I made my 100% transition to LM 20 in Late July ) toggling off then back on the something about " use internet to keep time zone accurate" for the time to appear correctly in the Windows taskbar at the bottom right corner. Easy peasy fix, and from what I can almost recall, there is a way to prevent that minor pimple-sized problem from happening also.

I'm sorry in case this came off negative or encouraged putting a damper on your idea. Do what you wish after all it isn't my machine . All good vibes meant.

As far as the automatic shut down problem goes, that could be a result of more than one thing to deal with.

When it was happening to me, my PC would auto restart ( not just power off) ...even under no real load of work at all. I discovered my over 10 year old NZXT 1000 hale 90 white PSU was failing on me. As soon as I replaced that, problem went away. That's just one possible example.

We need more details about your system ( hardware and software) to help you narrow down the problem.
Last edited by motoryzen on Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

motoryzen wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:41 pmDoing a dual boot from Windows and Linux worlds from the same storage drive is just a recipe for problems.
Hm. I have been running Windows 7 and 3 different Ubuntu based Linux systems from the same physical harddisk in my good old Medion desktop in parallel ([1],[2],[3]) for many years. :wink:
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

karlchen wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:47 pm
motoryzen wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:41 pmDoing a dual boot from Windows and Linux worlds from the same storage drive is just a recipe for problems.
Hm. I have been running Windows 7 and 3 different Ubuntu based Linux systems on my good old Medion desktop for many years. :wink:
Yes, but you are a much more advanced Linux user who, chances are, has already swum to the degree of Michael Phelps' endurance through the many rivers and oceans of info of what to do ..what not to do involving any and all preparations to ensure your setup isn't affecting by the dime a dozen windows-share-with-linux problems that often the windows install or update can cause. That's just one the variables I mean, but you get the point hopefully.

Fast boot disable
Secure boot disable
Confirm how the storage drive is partition and correctly...etc etc . It's a massive headache not worth dealing with imo. Just simpler to keep Linux and Windows worlds on separate storage drives.

Now having said that ( and that doesn't even cover half of the things involved..I know). if anyone here has room to instruct a new Linux user on how to prep to properly multi boot Windows and Linux from the same storage drive with the least chances of encounter any problems...I'd say you, karlchen, have plenty of room to talk from the posts of yours I've read on here over the years.

I'm definitely not trying to c o k block ya. The floor is yours good man :D
Last edited by motoryzen on Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

I've done similar, @karlchen, but now use systemd-boot to avoid all of the GRUB garbage.

@motoryzen - I think most of the problems that you describe happen with BIOS boots, instead of UEFI. The worst problem I've ever encountered with UEFI is an update where Windows decided to insert itself as the first boot option in the BIOS settings; annoying, but an easy fix.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

priyanshuawasthi1714 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:00 pm my windows got corrupted and is having some bugs and it's killing me. Instead of trying to reinstall it all over again i thought wouldn't it be a nice idea to multi boot linux, will the bugs like automatic shut down that i'm facing in windows continue in linux too???

Windows does not have an automatic shutdown feature, so maybe that is why it was not working for you. Also, I am not aware of Linux having an automatic shutdown feature either.

With Windows you can write a batch script using Python and enable an automatic shutdown feature, but I do not know if you can do that in Linux.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Rocky Bennett wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:25 pm
priyanshuawasthi1714 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:00 pm my windows got corrupted and is having some bugs and it's killing me. Instead of trying to reinstall it all over again i thought wouldn't it be a nice idea to multi boot linux, will the bugs like automatic shut down that i'm facing in windows continue in linux too???

Windows does not have an automatic shutdown feature, so maybe that is why it was not working for you. Also, I am not aware of Linux having an automatic shutdown feature either.

With Windows you can write a batch script using Python and enable an automatic shutdown feature, but I do not know if you can do that in Linux.
"" but I do not know if you can do that in Linux ""

It's linux....lol. OF COURSE..you can write a script that does that. There is basically nothing that Linux can't do except get infected as often or as badly as windows. xD sorry, but just telling the facts here.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

karlchen wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:47 pm Hm. I have been running Windows 7 and 3 different Ubuntu based Linux systems from the same physical harddisk in my good old Medion desktop in parallel ([1],[2],[3]) for many years. :wink:
Likewise, no problems dual boot with win7 for five years, last couple of years dual booting with win10. First thing I do with win10 is turn off auto updates, second thing is turn off fast start.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

To the OP, Do a clean install of Windows 10, disable fast start up and see how that works for you. If you still need an operating system that offers automatic shut off right out of the box, you are out of luck with Windows and Linux.
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by decrepit »

I thought the op's bug was windows shutting down by itself, not an auto shut down feature not working.

Windows shutting down by itself, could be more of a hardware problem, if that's the case, any distro will have the same problem.
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

ajgringo619 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:53 pm @motoryzen - I think most of the problems that you describe happen with BIOS boots, instead of UEFI. The worst problem I've ever encountered with UEFI is an update where Windows decided to insert itself as the first boot option in the BIOS settings; annoying, but an easy fix.
FYI, he dumps that pile of warnings on pretty much every newbie who mentions dual boot, oblivious apparently that (a) his problems probably were operator error and (b) the upshot is that the newbies generally conclude, "oh, if this is that difficult, never mind."
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

linux-rox wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:13 am ... he dumps that pile of warnings ... oblivious apparently that (a) his problems probably were operator error ...
Interesting. I thought I was the only one to notice those and other related advice behaviours.

There is nothing wrong dual booting win7 and Linux, just to keep it on topic.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

linux-rox wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:13 am
ajgringo619 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:53 pm @motoryzen - I think most of the problems that you describe happen with BIOS boots, instead of UEFI. The worst problem I've ever encountered with UEFI is an update where Windows decided to insert itself as the first boot option in the BIOS settings; annoying, but an easy fix.
FYI, he dumps that pile of warnings on pretty much every newbie who mentions dual boot, oblivious apparently that (a) his problems probably were operator error and (b) the upshot is that the newbies generally conclude, "oh, if this is that difficult, never mind."
-- ah..no, don't.

This is the first instance in which I've read here about a Linux newcomer encountered a problem which I thought might be involving the uefi or bios part or P.O.S.T.ing process. It is a FACT, not always a guarantee, ..but a fact none the less, that it is possible a Windows update...can screw up an end user's ability to boot the Linux distro if both the distro and Windows are installed into the same storage drive..and it can depend on which was installed last ( meaning which boot loader was taken over).

That is just one of the many reasons why I always recommend against installing Linux and Windows into the same storage drive ..instead of separate drives and only booting into one of the drives connected at a time. Ever since I followed this simple logic, I haven't had a single problem since.

Sometimes when the distro was installed last and it's Linux Grub that is the boot loader/manager...a Windows update can corrupt it. I'm no expert, but I've seen it happen both via personal experience AND a few others on other Linux support sites.

So If my recommendation and warning info saves a Linux newb from losing data or further needless headaches...that's ok and a good thing. No one here has to follow my advice, and you'll be ok too. (shrugs)
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

More FUD. :roll: It's a perennial problem with Linux. Anyone with an internet connection can hold himself out as an expert. Meanwhile, I don't think I've ever noticed you solve a thread. You're just a so-so user who thinks everyone is entitled to your opinion.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

linux-rox wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:52 pm More FUD. :roll: It's a perennial problem with Linux. Anyone with an internet connection can hold himself out as an expert. Meanwhile, I don't think I've ever noticed you solve a thread. You're just a so-so user who thinks everyone is entitled to your opinion.
More dead-end bragging. Look I'm not your therapist ok. Whatever your problem is take it out on whoever caused it. I had nothing to do with that. If you want to act like a typical " I'm going to argue against EVERYTHING In existence because I have a deep seeded need to try make myself sound better or more important than others just to sound cool or fit in" ...that's your problem; not mine. Enjoy being ignored. I've actually helped a few on here. I never claimed to be an expert.

I couldn't care any less that you have an entitlement attitude problem kid. @linux-rox
Last edited by motoryzen on Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
ryzen 5900x
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

priyanshuawasthi1714 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:00 pm will the bugs like automatic shut down that i'm facing in windows continue in linux too???
So how do you even know they are "bugs" ?
And as Karl said "no details" of your machine ? Maybe it's just a dust filled laptop, overheating = thermal shutdown ?

Anyway, and FWIW I have also dual booted right from day one over a decade ago without EVER an issue.
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by decrepit »

rickNS wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:35 pm <<<<
Anyway, and FWIW I have also dual booted right from day one over a decade ago without EVER an issue.
Yep, same here, from XP to windows 7. But there does appear to be problems with windows 10.

And I also agree it sounds more like a hardware issue to me
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Gentlemen, I believe that the OP was just a drive-by, starting threads in various forums and never following up.

Return to “Beginner Questions”