Trying to do a check sum on my Mint/cinnamon distro

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lexpert
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to do a check sum on my Mint/cinnamon distro

Post by lexpert »

Hello all,

I followed all the direction on how to do a checksum on Windows to verify the validity, I even downloaded the gnupg and opened the power shell from holding shift and right-clicking. But when I enter the command to get a checksum from my system to match the one I downloaded I get one of two messages (see attached) or one telling me that my command is back with 3 directions and there should only be 2. I can't get the second one to replicate but basically its telling me it doesn't know what to do with the directed file name. Any ideas?

I started over with a new download version and following the steps in exact order this time and I got it to work! Thank you all
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-04-16 134529.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Trying to do a check sum on my Mint/cinnamon distro

Post by spamegg »

Were you following a guide? Can you provide a link to it?

Maybe try typing the full path to the file. All the examples I see on the web have the full path C:\...
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Either the file is located at the working directory C:\Users\alexs\LinuxDistro or you need to supply the full path to the file.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Green man
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Green man »

In Linux, the directions are pretty clear, but I never had success doing those checks on Windows without a GUI. If you just want to verify the SHA256 checksum, this little utility is the quickest and easiest way on Windows.
http://implbits.com/products/hashtab/
If you want to do a more rigorous check, there's this utility, but it's also a bit more involved.
https://www.gpg4win.org
You have to create a personal key and download the Linux Mint public ISO signing key from the key server, etc. That said, the documentation is pretty clear and it's all a graphical process. The only nitpicky details that I remember giving a headache was that you have to explicitly click a button to tell Kleopatra that you trust Clem's key. Otherwise you get some sort of cryptic message saying that everything matches but trust could not be verified.
Hope this is helpful.

Return to “Beginner Questions”