I am looking for a software I don't know if it exists though

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Victordamus
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for a software I don't know if it exists though

Post by Victordamus »

I have my laptop connected via power cable 24/7 365 days a year. I take off the cable every couple of days and let the battery get down really low and plug it again. Is there a software that can do this for me? like keep the cable plugged in all the time but once the battery gets to 100% the program shuts off the input of power to the machine then it puts it back on when it drops to let say 5-10%. Thank you for reading this!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Da Londo
Level 4
Level 4

Re: I am looking for a software I don't know if it exists though

Post by Da Londo »

Don't think so, this is hardware related.
aka Jim on HexChat
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

For ThinkPads there is the tp_smapi kernel module which exposes some features of the ThinkPad hardware/firmware via a sysfs interface. One of the implemented functions is control of battery charging and extended battery status. I've used this in the past, but don't know if similar Linux software is available for other manufacturers.
Victordamus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Victordamus »

Da Londo wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:05 pm Don't think so, this is hardware related.
thank you!
Victordamus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Victordamus »

Neil Edmond wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:54 pm For ThinkPads there is the tp_smapi kernel module which exposes some features of the ThinkPad hardware/firmware via a sysfs interface. One of the implemented functions is control of battery charging and extended battery status. I've used this in the past, but don't know if similar Linux software is available for other manufacturers.
I am a total noob here in this environment so I don't even know where to begin to try to implement that. I appreciate it though!
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

If your hardware is properly designed, there is no need to drain and recharge the batteries. That was something you did way back in the prehistoric past when people used different battery chemistry and thought 78 rpm shellac records where a great technological improvement.
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech »

Petermint wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:23 am If your hardware is properly designed, there is no need to drain and recharge the batteries. That was something you did way back in the prehistoric past when people used different battery chemistry and thought 78 rpm shellac records where a great technological improvement.
I am a bit perplexed for the same reason unless op running something really unique. As lithium batteries discharging them below 20% is actually harmfull to the battery it would actual decrease the life of the battery. One of the huge advantage to lithium over NIMH batteries is the fact that you can charge them or top them off with 0 memory effect.

edit to me this would be like someone wanting to defrag their ssd.

Return to “Beginner Questions”