Overheating due to kernel usage [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lucienreyes
Level 1
Level 1

Overheating due to kernel usage [SOLVED]

Post by lucienreyes »

Kernel update made the CPU idle at and above 80 degrees Centigrade. Reverted to older kernel, but the issue persists.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Overheating due to kernel usage

Post by rene »

If you reverted to an older kernel that used to be fine there's seemingly no way that the problem can in fact be the kernel --- unless maybe you have not yet e.g. tried fully shutting down the system, preferably including fully removing power for a bit.
lucienreyes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lucienreyes »

rene wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:59 am If you reverted to an older kernel that used to be fine there's seemingly no way that the problem can in fact be the kernel --- unless maybe you have not yet e.g. tried fully shutting down the system, preferably including fully removing power for a bit.
This is what I and a bunch of people over at the Mint Discord server couldn't diagnose. Top doesn't show any process taking up cpu or memory. But the temperature keeps rising.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Clearly could be a hardware issue; broken or clogged fan, or if software after all, a matter of fan control. There seems no opportunity for latter though if you already reverted kernel and, as said, have since running the newer kernel fully powered off.
lucienreyes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lucienreyes »

rene wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:47 am Clearly could be a hardware issue; broken or clogged fan, or if software after all, a matter of fan control. There seems no opportunity for latter though if you already reverted kernel and, as said, have since running the newer kernel fully powered off.
Very good points, but all of them discussed extensively before. I should explain.

It happened very suddenly after I rebooted after a kernel update. A hardware issue wouldn't happen that fast. I reverted to an older kernel, and the issue persisted. After I had rolled back another time, it solved itself. But it started occuring again after a reboot.

The matter of fan control, I checked my BIOS settings and (since it's HP and they don't provide a lot of options usually present in other's) saw the only fan option, "Fan always on" turned on. Also, the fan seems to work as expected (when the temperature rises, it runs at maximum speed)

The kernel being never fully turned off, I checked off the list by forcing a shutdown (holding the power button for 12 secs in my case).
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

lucienreyes wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:55 am A hardware issue wouldn't happen that fast
Generally that could be mistakenly put (things break at some point and e.g. an intensive update cycle is about as good as any) but given that it is from the rest of your post clear that you're sure the fan is in fact running let us forget about that then. You also already said that you haven't been able to identify a CPU hog in top. Is this including it showing e.g. 90% or more idle when you are in fact idling? (the "id" statistic in the %Cpu(s) header line).

Given that it went away at some point I'll not furthermore bug you about the "removing power fully" thing (i.e., including removing the chord and battery for a bit, as this is supposedly a laptop) since that'll mean it'll also not be a matter of an in hardware stuck setting.... but that does mean I've few ideas left already.

Rather explicitly nonparanoid securitywise here but one does wonder if Bitcoin miners for Linux that manage to hide themselves from top exist out there in the wild. See how that stuff works? "Secuwity" as an excuse for not having a clue... ;-(
lucienreyes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lucienreyes »

rene wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:19 am
lucienreyes wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:55 am A hardware issue wouldn't happen that fast
Is this including it showing e.g. 90% or more idle when you are in fact idling? (the "id" statistic in the %Cpu(s) header line).
I don't quite understand this. There seems to be no "id" stat. Sorry if I'm being a noob XD. There doesn't seem to be any irregularities in the overall stats though.

[/quote]
Rather explicitly nonparanoid securitywise here but one does wonder if Bitcoin miners for Linux that manage to hide themselves from top exist out there in the wild. See how that stuff works? "Secuwity" as an excuse for not having a clue... ;-(
[/quote]

This is the first valid answer I have gotten since the 2 days I've been trying to troubleshoot this.

There is something else. I managed to restore a snapshot to an even older kernel and the issue seems to be solved. It remains solved even after I reinstaled all the software I wanted.
It must be noted that the issue persisted with two subsequent kernel versions. I even loaded 3 versions of xanmod kernels, and the issue persisted.

So I guess your crypto mining hypothesis is correct and I should wait for a new kernel update and try it after backing up the system?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

lucienreyes wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:30 am I don't quite understand this. There seems to be no "id" stat.
See the below screenshot of top running in a terminal under Xfce; the 92,2 id on the %Cpu(s): line, third line from the top.

Well, no, I would say that my crypto-mining hypothesis was rather premature and I'd be very surprised if it was in fact correct. Now that you have identified a snapshot on which all is fine, what I'd do is update all on it in one fell swoop to current and see if the issue returns. If not shrug it off. If yes re-restore the good snapshot and start updating selectively to find a culprit.
top.png
lucienreyes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lucienreyes »

[/quote]
See the below screenshot of top running in a terminal under Xfce; the 92,2 id on the %Cpu(s): line, third line from the top.
[/quote]

Ah yes. I didn't get a chance to notice the value while it was still a problem..

And yes, I think I'll have to shrug it off, haha. The Timeshift snapshot worked perfectly, and even after updating everything, the system is completely fine, idling at around 50 degrees (I live in a tropical country).

Thanks for all your help. This was my first time posting here, and I'm more than happy with the response :)
Last edited by lucienreyes on Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Sure. Yes, it's unlikely that you/we will ever find out what it was. <shrug> :-)
lucienreyes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lucienreyes »

rene wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:33 am Sure. Yes, it's unlikely that you/we will ever find out what it was. <shrug> :-)
It's gonna eat me up 🧐. But the whole reason I chose Mint was because of it's stability. Don't really have the time to troubleshoot each and every problem, even though I love doing it.
So in conclusion, I'm going to keep it as is.
Is there a close issue button somewhere? 😊
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Not really no. There's this: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=267264 but not everyone cares.
lucienreyes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lucienreyes »

rene wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:12 pm Not really no. There's this: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=267264 but not everyone cares.
Ah perfect
lucienreyes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lucienreyes »

rene wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:33 am Sure. Yes, it's unlikely that you/we will ever find out what it was. <shrug> :-)
Alright so I kinda went after it.
It happens after the subsequent updates after the kernel including intel-microcode, game-mode, and linux firmware. Haven't pinpointed it yet though.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Overheating due to kernel usage [SOLVED]

Post by rene »

OK. Would've assumed it to not be stably reproduceable at all. And in which sense... do make very sure it's not in fact or more or less random issue rather then conclude that it's going to be fully related to a given (kernel-, presumedly) update if it happens following that.
lucienreyes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lucienreyes »

rene wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:17 am OK. Would've assumed it to not be stably reproduceable at all. And in which sense... do make very sure it's not in fact or more or less random issue rather then conclude that it's going to be fully related to a given (kernel-, presumedly) update if it happens following that.
I understand. I had achieved it thrice, and did again a few hours ago to check if it wasn't just a fluke.

Also, I believe it to be the problem of the subsequent updates and not of the kernel. My fan does run at max after I boot in the new kernel, but the temperature gets out of hand after I update the packages I mentioned before.
And I did check the idle stat in top. It varied between 91-98.9%.

Now, I should leave you in peace and not poke you about a closed issue. Also have no intention of deliberately breaking the system for further testing for quite sometime (need it for exams haha).
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Fair enough. If it wasn't just a fluke this forum will supposedly see the question return though so all information is good. Good luck with the exams :-)
lucienreyes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lucienreyes »

rene wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:20 am Fair enough. If it wasn't just a fluke this forum will supposedly see the question return though so all information is good. Good luck with the exams :-)
r/antiassholedesign XD

rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

You only now had me google for "game-mode" by the way. I'm still on Mint 19 (based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS) and "game-mode" seems Ubuntu 20.04 hence Mint 20.x specific. It's undoubtedly that; getting e.g. more voltage to your CPU. Shall elect to for now furthermore declare myself uninterested; not running 20 and most definitely not running games on Linux. Seems the newer version enables itself by default rather than on request --- or some such. I'll leave it up to responders to the undoubtedly tend to hundreds reports of same that will be following shortly on this forum to figure that out.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

@lucienreyes

I realized you've marked this as solved, but perhaps one option is applicable here. I don't recall you listing the model/specs of your PC. I ask because I'm curious as to it's age, no insult meant.

If it's many years old, I question if it's time for cleaning the physical cpu itself and applying new thermal paste to see if temps can improve. Depending on if your PC Is a laptop, this can still be done if you're tech savvy enough and comfortable enough opening it up to access removing the cpu cooling system to do so.

Some laptops, however, I've seen use thermal pads and there is not much that can really be done there. Have a great day either way.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor

Return to “Beginner Questions”