Overheating due to kernel usage [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lucienreyes
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Overheating due to kernel usage [SOLVED]

Post by lucienreyes »

rene wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:36 am You only now had me google for "game-mode" by the way. I'm still on Mint 19 (based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS) and "game-mode" seems Ubuntu 20.04 hence Mint 20.x specific. It's undoubtedly that; getting e.g. more voltage to your CPU. Shall elect to for now furthermore declare myself uninterested; not running 20 and most definitely not running games on Linux. Seems the newer version enables itself by default rather than on request --- or some such. I'll leave it up to responders to the undoubtedly tend to hundreds reports of same that will be following shortly on this forum to figure that out.
I think we finally solved the wrongdoer. I will confirm it by selectively updating each package.
lucienreyes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lucienreyes »

sorry, couldn't delete this post :?
Last edited by lucienreyes on Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
lucienreyes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lucienreyes »

motoryzen wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:15 am @lucienreyes

I realized you've marked this as solved, but perhaps one option is applicable here. I don't recall you listing the model/specs of your PC. I ask because I'm curious as to it's age, no insult meant.

If it's many years old, I question if it's time for cleaning the physical cpu itself and applying new thermal paste to see if temps can improve. Depending on if your PC Is a laptop, this can still be done if you're tech savvy enough and comfortable enough opening it up to access removing the cpu cooling system to do so.

Some laptops, however, I've seen use thermal pads and there is not much that can really be done there. Have a great day either way.

No insult taken! Of course, that is a more than valid question!
It's a laptop, and yes, it is 4 years old. However, I had a service person clean the vents and check the thermal pads only last month. It's not due for another cleaning right now.

Host: HP Laptop 15q-dy0xxx
Kernel: 5.4.0-70-generic
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (4) @ 2.500GHz
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series
Memory: 1497MiB / 3401MiB

I see your suspicion of it being a physical problem, but the problem was solved when I rolled back the updates. Now it idles at 40-45 degrees Celcius.
I posted the bare-bones specs from neofetch. Tell me if you need a more detailed one.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

lucienreyes wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:15 am
motoryzen wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:15 am @lucienreyes

I realized you've marked this as solved, but perhaps one option is applicable here. I don't recall you listing the model/specs of your PC. I ask because I'm curious as to it's age, no insult meant.

If it's many years old, I question if it's time for cleaning the physical cpu itself and applying new thermal paste to see if temps can improve. Depending on if your PC Is a laptop, this can still be done if you're tech savvy enough and comfortable enough opening it up to access removing the cpu cooling system to do so.

Some laptops, however, I've seen use thermal pads and there is not much that can really be done there. Have a great day either way.

No insult taken! Of course, that is a more than valid question!
It's a laptop, and yes, it is 4 years old. However, I had a service person clean the vents and check the thermal pads only last month. It's not due for another cleaning right now.

Host: HP Laptop 15q-dy0xxx
Kernel: 5.4.0-70-generic
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (4) @ 2.500GHz
GPU: AMD ATI Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series
Memory: 1497MiB / 3401MiB

I see your suspicion of it being a physical problem, but the problem was solved when I rolled back the updates. Now it idles at 40-45 degrees Celcius.
I posted the bare-bones specs from neofetch. Tell me if you need a more detailed one.
-- I don't know why I didn't notice that. Sorry, my confusion. Thanks for posting all the info both you and those all those that helped. I learned something new here also. cheers everyone --
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor

Return to “Beginner Questions”