<Solved> Where are Virtual Box VMs created?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LamphunLumyai
Level 3
Level 3

<Solved> Where are Virtual Box VMs created?

Post by LamphunLumyai »

If you are using Virtual Box to create VMs, are the VMs created on existing formatted partitions (like /home) or can the the VMs be created in unallocated disk space? I haven't configured it before I need to know in order to correctly partition (size) a new SSD drive that I'm installing in my laptop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Where are Virtual Box VMs created?

Post by djph »

You create a file somewhere on your filesystem that vbox then uses as the hard drive for that VM (one file per VM).

I'm not aware of vbox being able to use other partitions directly; though there are other (somewhat more difficult to deal with) virtual machine hypervisors that can work with partitions.

If this is your first foray int VMs ... best to just stick with vbox / files on the filesystem.
mshmm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mshmm »

VMs cannot be created in *unallocated* disk space - the location has to be an already formatted and recognised partition.

If you click on File->Preferences in the VirtualBox menus, the first option under "General" is "Default Machine Folder". For a while, I used to create and store my VMs on a second hard drive which I had formatted as ext4 and mounted at "/mnt/data".
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

Are you asking where the default location of VB VM filesystems are created? That would be in your '/' (root) directory/partition. You can (and should) specify in your /home if you are using separate partitions for your / and /home. Pardon me if I answered a question you didn't ask.
LamphunLumyai
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LamphunLumyai »

Reddog1 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:36 am Are you asking where the default location of VB VM filesystems are created? .
No. The posters above answered my question. VMs need to be placed on a formatted partition.
I have a ton of unallocated disk space so I'll just create a dedicated partition for my VMs.

Thanks for the answers!

Return to “Beginner Questions”