Problems with mirror display on Linux Mint XFCE

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LinuxMintUser55
Level 1
Level 1

Problems with mirror display on Linux Mint XFCE

Post by LinuxMintUser55 »

Hello. I'm trying to use XFCE on my laptop, but there is this problem with it. When I mirror the display to my monitor, the laptop's screen will not be full screen, and the monitor will appear washed out and stretched. Here is a photo: (please ignore my horrible setup I plan on improving it) https://i.imgur.com/maRyFQj.png
Keep in mind I tried many other XFCE distros like Xubuntu, Fedora XFCE, and Manjaro XFCE. Same problem.
Edit: forgot to include, it runs at 1366 x 768 resolution
Edit 2: I found the fix. To say the least, I'm a moron. All I had to do was unplug the HDMI cord and plug it back in. But the question is why this only happens on XFCE...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Problems with mirror display on Linux Mint XFCE

Post by ThaCrip »

It's probably a simple tweak in the Display settings section is my guess. because I remember having to tweak stuff a bit to get a laptop display (which mine is the same as yours @ 1366x768) and then when connecting the HDMI port to a TV for example you have to tweak things so the TV is at the proper 1920x1080 (1080p) etc.

just search for 'Display' in the start menu and you can probably adjust stuff from there so everything displays properly. like when you load up 'Display' it will probably show something like 'laptop' there and if your connected to another monitor/TV, which you should be upon boot, you should be able to click that 'laptop' thing and your other display will be selectable and from there you can tweak the resolution etc.

p.s. the above is based on a HP2000 laptop and the display driver is just the default (there are no other options available). I am running 5.8 kernel on Mint v20.1-Xfce. but I did it on Mint v19.x series using v4.15 kernel before in the past to, so that should be pretty much the same.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce

Return to “Beginner Questions”