Verifying encryption and encrypting post-install.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
UncannyValley
Level 1
Level 1

Verifying encryption and encrypting post-install.

Post by UncannyValley »

I don't remember if I encrypted the home folder during installation and I would like to see if there is some sort of way I can verify that. Also, is it possible to do a full-disk encryption post-install or at least encrypting the home folder?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Verifying encryption and encrypting post-install.

Post by GS3 »

My advice is don't do it because you are asking for trouble. If you believe your data needs encrypting then first learn and practice until you can do it with your eyes closed. Anything else is asking for trouble. In any case you should have backup copies of everything. Because encrypting your system is asking for trouble. Make backups of everything before you do anything.

My recommendation would be to not encrypt the system (I see no need or reason) and to use something like Veracrypt to encrypt data.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.

Return to “Beginner Questions”