Safe to Change User Name via "Users and Groups" in GUI?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fran_3
Level 2
Level 2

Safe to Change User Name via "Users and Groups" in GUI?

Post by Fran_3 »

The Question:
Is it safe and adequate to use "Users and Groups" in the Linux Mint v20 GUI to change the user name and password?
Or, should additional steps be taken?
This link...
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/04/h ... ebian.html
points out...
Some applications will show errors when changing the username, because in some cases there are configuration files that point to the old username's home folder
and recommend...
A solution for this is to create a symbolic link from the new home folder to the old home folder:
They also note other potential issues and fixes.

So, do I have to worry about creating a symbolic link and other issues mentioned or will "Users and Groups" in the GUI take care of it all for me?

Thanks for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Safe to Change User Name via "Users and Groups" in GUI?

Post by djph »

I find it easiest to just change the account name in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow in a live session (AND BACK THEM UP FIRST!!!)

e.g. if I wanted to be "qwcu"

Code: Select all

djph:x:1000:1000:Real Name,,,:/home/djph:/bin/bash
djph:[password_hash]:18070:0:99999:7:::

qwcu:x:1000:1000:Real Name,,,:/home/qwcu:/bin/bash
qwcu:[password_hash]:18070:0:99999:7:::
Don't forget to move / rename $HOME

sudo mv /home/djph /home/qwcu

Return to “Beginner Questions”