[SOLVED] messed up bad, cinnamon thinks my /home folder is my desktop folder

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tpo100ckid
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] messed up bad, cinnamon thinks my /home folder is my desktop folder

Post by tpo100ckid »

i will now describe how i got into this mess and beg for help

1. accidentally move most of my home folder into /home/.zoom because i was trying to change folder icons
2. cinnamon now thinks my desktop folder is in /home/.zoom
3. try to move it to /home, it won't work
4. try to move it again with elevated permissions, it won't work
5. try to delete /home/.zoom, it won't work
6. log out and back into cinnamon, now my desktop folder is set to /home

this isn't permanent because i can just make a new profile and move my stuff there, but i want to know if i my current profile is still fixable or if it's just borked forever
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tpo100ckid
Level 2
Level 2

Re: rainbows up bad, cinnamon thinks my /home folder is my desktop folder

Post by tpo100ckid »

mwant to say "messed" not "rainbow", not sure how that happened. oops
Jat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Jat »

tpo100ckid wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:09 pm mwant to say "messed" not "rainbow", not sure how that happened. oops
You should be able to edit the title.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

tpo100ckid wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:09 pm mwant to say "messed" not "rainbow", not sure how that happened. oops
"messed" was probably what you intended but you must've used a naughty word, which was changed by the BB system to a non-naughty word. Look on the bright side, the moderators will be keeping an eye on you now.
tpo100ckid
Level 2
Level 2

Re: messed up bad, cinnamon thinks my /home folder is my desktop folder

Post by tpo100ckid »

i'm going to ask again if there's any way to fix this because i feel a sense of dread just having this here, sorry if annoying
edit: nevermind! i think i found the solution through some difficult duckduckgo searching, to edit $HOME/.config/user-dirs.dirs
i've restarted cinnamon and it hasn't worked, but i suspect it'll start working again after i log out and back in but i'm busy to do that right now
Last edited by tpo100ckid on Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Have you tried restoring from a Timeshift snapshot?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
tpo100ckid
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tpo100ckid »

Moem wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:25 am Have you tried restoring from a Timeshift snapshot?
i'm hesitant on restoring a snapshot due to, well, personal files and 8 gigabytes worth of steam games installations
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Timeshift by default does not do home directories anyway. The word "most" and the permission issues from your problem description are fairly unfortunate as to grokking what you in fact did, but sure, it'll not in a general sense be a problem to get things moved back unless you deleted things outright. Begin with, after possibly sudo apt-get install rsync and if e.g. /home/.zoom/Desktop is where your old Desktop folder is now at,

Code: Select all

sudo rsync -av --chown=$(whoami):$(whoami) /home/.zoom/ ~/
This may already fix most or all and you'll want to delete /home/.zoom after you have things settled again --- but let's go one step at a time, as said due to not knowing what you did in detail originally. Certainly log out and back in after rsync. And by the way be careful to get e.g. the trailing slashes in that command exactly as posted.
tpo100ckid
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tpo100ckid »

i found out how to fix it w/o external tools, it's not too hard, so nevermind
go to ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs, and fix everything, then log out and back in
this also fixed my apparently broken pictures folder
well, thanks regardless
i should ask, actually, one more thing: how does one mark a thread as closed or done?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

tpo100ckid wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:33 am i should ask, actually, one more thing:
My signature will tell you. :)
Glad you fixed it!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”