Problems running Sketchup 2017

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Theresa
Level 1
Level 1

Problems running Sketchup 2017

Post by Theresa »

I’m new to Linux Mint 20 and I’m new to this Forum.

Two weeks ago I bought a new computer and installed Linux Mint 20. Ever since I try to install Sketchup 2017. I tried just about every thing but I can’t get it to work. Actually I managed to download Wine and to download Sketchup 2017 but when opening Sketchup 2017 a window comes up “Program Error”.

This program is absolutely essential to me.

I could not find some easy to follow instructions to fix this problem.

I’m not particularly computer savvy but I can follow instructions.

Computer is Acer Swift with AMD Ryzen 7 4700U.

I would greatly appreciate if some body could help.

Also; in my research I came across some warnings about Wine regarding security risks. Do I need to take this serious?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Problems running Sketchup 2017

Post by GS3 »

Hi Theresa and welcome.

I can tell you that my experience with Sketchup V8 is mixed. Until recently I could never get it to work with WINE. Then, in my last install, I was lucky that I got the WINE installation to go well and then I installed Sketchup 8 and it works... sort of because it runs much slower than it does on a much older computer with Windows XP.

I cannot say anything about more recent versions of Sketchup but I suspect you might be disappointed and if you use it for serious work you would probably be better off running it directly with Windows. WINE is really not that compatible and even when it does run programs it is quite a bit slower than running it with Windows.

You might want to consider keeping a computer running Windows and another one running Linux which is what I do.

Good luck.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Theresa
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Problems running Sketchup 2017

Post by Theresa »

Thanks for that GS3,

After looking into it a bit more I do agree with you, running Sketchup on Linux might just not be such a good idea.

The hardware requirements for Sketchup are not that big, I think of getting an entry level laptop and connect it to an external monitor. I’ve seen a reasonable priced one with a AMD Athlon Silver 3050U dual core processor and a 8GB dual channel memory. That should do the trick.

I also read you comments in “how to firewall”. I don’t like the program “calling home” as you put it. Better protecting my privacy was one of the reasons why I came to Linux. I will uninstall the program again and since Sketchup is the only windows program I need I might as well get rid of Wine all together.

Thanks for you help!

Return to “Beginner Questions”