How do I generate a SHA256 sum on a Mac?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
1nuBJim
Level 1
Level 1

How do I generate a SHA256 sum on a Mac?

Post by 1nuBJim »

The instructions either assume that I am already running Linux, or else refers me to instructions for Windows. I actually do have Linux set up on a computer that was giving me increasingly worse problems to the point that I am now no longer able to sign in on it. I got a MacBook Air Catalina from a friend, and spent most of a day figuring out how to use a Mac. I'm now trying to setup Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1 on it, but I keep running into frustration after frustration, and I really hope someone can help me with this. My main concern right now is getting Linux on the Mac, but if you know of a simple fix for my other computer, I'd really appreciate that as well. I figure I'll have to submit another question about it after I get the Mac straightened out.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How do I generate a SHA256 sum on a Mac?

Post by xenopeek »

macOS has a builtin shasum command that can also do SHA256 sum like so:
shasum -a 256 /path/to/file

Run it from the terminal program. I'm not otherwise familiar with macOS but hope its file manager has the option to "open terminal here" like on Linux Mint so you can open the terminal immediately in the directory where you have the ISO file and just need to shasum -a 256 filename.
1nuBJim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1nuBJim »

I really appreciate you working on helping me, but I'm not there yet. I've got a real steep learning curve, since I knew practically nothing about Macs. I finally found out how to open Terminal, and a little bit about how to use it as well as finding the Mac equivalent of File Manager. I copied and pasted the first part of the command you gave me, and instead of /path/to/file I substituted ~/ISO, so it looked like: jim@Jims-MacBook-Air ~ % shasum -a 256 ~/ISO. The ~ apparently represents my home folder which is where I put the ISO file containing the three downloaded files. I then hit enter and got this result:
shasum: /Users/jim/ISO:
jim@Jims-MacBook-Air ~ %
That doesn't look anything like the sha256sum.txt which is: bc99cf204595d6a70a91e8306eb0afd99318216cb7bb2d6ec10b214c1629e2eb *linuxmint-20.1-cinnamon-64bit-beta.iso
43c704c9a216b802f7483d34e158de8ea505bfd29f48623b771853e3e6764a43 *linuxmint-20.1-mate-64bit-beta.iso
de75b825dbf458760fe35f9e71abd6ff743ef59c2242c6122843f66c1387ae45 *linuxmint-20.1-xfce-64bit-beta.iso

So, please tell me what I did wrong. Thanks!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

1nuBJim wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:03 am I copied and pasted the first part of the command you gave me, and instead of /path/to/file I substituted ~/ISO, so it looked like: jim@Jims-MacBook-Air ~ % shasum -a 256 ~/ISO. The ~ apparently represents my home folder which is where I put the ISO file containing the three downloaded files.
Add the filename you want to sha256sum as in shasum -a 256 ~/ISO/linuxmint-20.1-cinnamon-64bit-beta.iso. Or wildcard it as in shasum -a 256 ~/ISO/*.iso.

Also I would suggest you download the release version of the ISO if indeed you currently have the beta version.
1nuBJim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1nuBJim »

It just doesn't seem to be working for me! Here is what I put in, along with the results:

jim@Jims-MacBook-Air ~ % shasum -a 256 ~/ISO/linuxmint-20.1-cinnamon-64bit-beta.iso
shasum: /Users/jim/ISO/linuxmint-20.1-cinnamon-64bit-beta.iso:
jim@Jims-MacBook-Air ~ %

I just got the only version that was available to me. I have no idea how to get a different version.
1nuBJim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1nuBJim »

@xenopeek seems to have given up on trying to help me, not that I can say I blame him/her. Here is my latest attempt, with the results which still don't seem to match the sha256sum.txt.

jim@Jims-MacBook-Air ~ % shasum -a 256 /Users/jim/ISO/linuxmint-20.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso
14f73c93f75e873f4ac70b6cddc83703755c2421135a8fbbfd6ccfeed107e971 /Users/jim/ISO/linuxmint-20.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso
jim@Jims-MacBook-Air ~ %

I dragged and dropped the ISO file to Terminal to obtain the path, and it doesn't say anything about it being a beta version. That leads me to believe that I may have the wrong .txt file. Yup, that was apparently the case, though I'm not sure how that happened. The above string of figures, by manual eyesight, matches the second line of figures in the new .txt file, which I figure is the correct line for me. However, that leaves me wondering what I'm supposed to do with the sha256sum.txt.gpg.txt file? Since I don't understand what the instructions mean by, "Import the Linux Mint signing key", does anyone want to clarify that for me, before I proceed further? Please note that I'm on a MacBook Air which I'm not very familiar with, plus I'm pretty sure the instructions at https://linuxmint.com/verify.php aren't written for.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

@xenopeek won't have given up - - but he does have an Life outside of these forums.
:shock:
like all of us, xenopeek comes & goes as he can, as determined by his lifestyle.

there is also an limit to how we can guide folks into getting an working LinuxMint ISO file
and then being able to write that LinuxMint ISO file to an usb stick.
https://dyclassroom.com/howto-mac/how-t ... sha256-etc
thus, if you now have such an LinuxMint ISO file, then try writing it to an usb stick,
to see if it will Boot Up correctly, or not .. why .. you might ask ? when I'm not sure of it's authenticity ?.

- - you have to at some point, whether you are sure of it's, or whether you are not so sure of it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
1nuBJim
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 1nuBJim »

Thank you, Pierre. Now I'm having a problem creating a bootable USB. I downloaded Etcher, ran it supposedly to create a bootable drive, but it wasn't bootable, or even recognizable by the Mac. Any ideas on how to handle that? I seem to be having way too many problems!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

is the usb drive itself recognised by your iMac ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
sanmig
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sanmig »

1nuBJim wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:29 pm I downloaded Etcher, ran it supposedly to create a bootable drive, but it wasn't bootable, or even recognizable by the Mac.
[ For the authentication you’d need to have GPG installed on your Mac and the Linux Mint signing key imported into it. Look in your Mac’s “Applications” if the "GPG Keychain.app" is there. ]

Etcher will do … But Catalina can not read the (isofs) Mint boot USB ("… disk … was not readable" message).
Likely your problem is to boot from USB, see https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... /mac/10.15
Does your MacBook Air have a T2 chip? You may open a can of worms …
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208862

Return to “Beginner Questions”