How to install the latest 5.11 or 5.12 kernel ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to install the latest 5.11 or 5.12 kernel ?

Post by ThaCrip »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:31 pm Sensible decision. The kernel is the very core of your operating system; it makes no sense to mess with that unless you have a good reason.
Yeah. the only reason I switched to 5.8 is it fixed a few bugs I was having with default 5.4 kernel. so at this point ill eventually have to keep switching to whatever newer kernel is offered since Mint drops support of 5.8 in Aug 2021. to bad 5.8 was not the LTS instead of 5.4 ;)

so I am hoping that eventually Mint v20 series settles on a kernel that I can stick with as it seems like Mint v19 series stopped on 5.4 (at least the last I knew) as it appears to be supported for the rest of the life of Mint v19.x series even though a clean install of v19.0-19.2 uses 4.15 which is also supported for the life of Mint v19.x series. but a clean install of Mint v19.3 comes with 5.0 which I would assume will be updated to 5.4.

NOTE: I am not sure whether the bugs I had with 5.4 kernel on Mint v20.x are there on Mint v19.x series or not though as I generally stuck with 4.15 kernel when I was using that.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

a.bowers wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:50 pm
spamegg wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:25 pm Which kernels are supported or not can be seen from Update Manager/View/Linux Kernels. Mint 20.1 only supports 5.4 and 5.8 series.
Hi, question. How permanent is the fact above? Like, will 5.12 be coming to Mint 20.1 during its life cycle, or is it not going beyond 5.8 because LTS reasons?
Tonight I noticed the 5.11.0-22 kernel available in my Update Manager. It is listed as supported until Feb. 2022.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

SMG wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:07 pm Tonight I noticed the 5.11.0-22 kernel available
linux-oem-20.04c installs 5.13.0-1004-oem if you have ppa:canonical-kernel-team/ppa enabled.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:33 pm
SMG wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:07 pm Tonight I noticed the 5.11.0-22 kernel available
linux-oem-20.04c installs 5.13.0-1004-oem if you have ppa:canonical-kernel-team/ppa enabled.
Wow. Thanks for sharing this information; might come in very handy for those who need an even newer kernel than the 5.11.x.

I've only recently discovered the linux-oem kernels; with the Canonical Kernel Team PPA added into the mix, they can cover even extremely new hardware.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Pjotr wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:20 am
Kadaitcha Man wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:33 pm
Wow. Thanks for sharing this information; might come in very handy for those who need an even newer kernel than the 5.11.x.
Virtualbox doesn't like it but otherwise it's fine.
paddys-hill
Level 1
Level 1
Location: All over the Adelaide Hills and Fleurio region of South Australia

Post by paddys-hill »

Pjotr wrote: Tried it, but am underwhelmed. Graphical performance on my AMD graphics was abysmal. Much worse than on the 5.8.x kernel.
Really! I am having the opposite observation.

OTOH
Given that 5.11 is an interim kernel and 5.12 is in full gamma test mode but on (where I came from) it is stable and does have some security holes fixed, shouldn't Mint be focussing on 5.12 rather than 5.11?

I have no idea what LTS actually "means" really, but I'd rather have a recent kernel with all the security patches (as approved by Mr. Torvalds of course) than an older kernel full of holes. Where I came from had "almost" daily kernel updates recently.
Paddys-Hill Co-op co-ordinator & sysadmin
Acer Aspire A315-21G (AMD A9-9420 RADEON R5) running 5.11.0-22-generic
Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa DE:Cinnamon 4.8.6 WM: muffin 4.8.1 DM: LightDM 1.30.0
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

paddys-hill wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:55 am Given that 5.11 is an interim kernel and 5.12 is in full gamma test mode but on (where I came from) it is stable and does have some security holes fixed, shouldn't Mint be focussing on 5.12 rather than 5.11?

I have no idea what LTS actually "means" really, but I'd rather have a recent kernel with all the security patches (as approved by Mr. Torvalds of course) than an older kernel full of holes. Where I came from had "almost" daily kernel updates recently.
No. LTS (long term support) upstream (kernel.org) does not equal LTS downstream (Ubuntu/Mint).

As the kernel is open source software, downstream kernel maintenance (among other things: applying security fixes) can and in fact does happen. That's what the Ubuntu kernel developers are for. :wink:

Extra information: Mint doesn't do its own kernel maintenance; the Mint kernels are pure Ubuntu kernels.
paddys-hill
Level 1
Level 1
Location: All over the Adelaide Hills and Fleurio region of South Australia

Post by paddys-hill »

Pjotr wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:03 am
No. LTS (long term support) upstream (kernel.org) does not equal LTS downstream (Ubuntu/Mint).

As the kernel is open source software, downstream kernel maintenance (among other things: applying security fixes) can and in fact does happen. That's what the Ubuntu kernel developers are for. :wink:

Extra information: Mint doesn't do its own kernel maintenance; the Mint kernels are pure Ubuntu kernels.
Ah, quite interesting! All three points.

Re the last point, does that mean that Mint kernels at at the whim of the Ubuntu. In particular, do they "force" their kernels on Mint? Could this also apply to other Mint installable software?

( I am becoming scared that I may be about to be stealing this thread. If so, could you point me somewhere that I can find out more about the Mint kernel / packaging philosophy.)
Paddys-Hill Co-op co-ordinator & sysadmin
Acer Aspire A315-21G (AMD A9-9420 RADEON R5) running 5.11.0-22-generic
Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa DE:Cinnamon 4.8.6 WM: muffin 4.8.1 DM: LightDM 1.30.0
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

paddys-hill wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:57 am does that mean that Mint kernels at at the whim of the Ubuntu. In particular, do they "force" their kernels on Mint? Could this also apply to other Mint installable software?
No forcing involved. Strictly speaking, Mint simply is Ubuntu (for some 90 % or so). That's because the Ubuntu software sources are part of the official Mint software sources.

Mint's very own software source (packages.linuxmint.com) contains only the Mint-specific packages. This ensures efficient use of the manpower of the Mint dev team, which is relatively small.

See the output of:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

I just noticed that 5.11 kernel is available in Update Manager > View > Linux Kernels and is supported til Feb 2022.

I will probably try it out soon.

EDIT: I scrolled up and it appears SMG noticed it about a day ago now as I only just noticed it as I was going to remove a older kernel due to a recent update and noticed 5.11 is available now.

EDIT #2: currently running 5.11 kernel. so far, so good.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

ThaCrip wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:57 pm EDIT #2: currently running 5.11 kernel. so far, so good.
Only until you want to run VirtualBox, which only works with kernels up to and including 5.10. For those who need VBox, don't go with anything above 5.10 until Oracle have caught up with these advances.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:52 pm VirtualBox, which only works with kernels up to and including 5.10. For those who need VBox, don't go with anything above 5.10 until Oracle have caught up with these advances.
Looks like Oracle has fixed this in VirtualBox 6.1.20.... From its changelog:
Linux host and guest: Support kernel versions 5.11 (bug #20198) and 5.12
Source: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog

So if you install the latest VirtualBox, 6.1.22, over the repo version (6.1.16), you should be good to go. At least up to and including kernel 5.12.x, not 5.13.x (linux-oem-20.04c).

I intend to give this a try later today.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:10 am Looks like Oracle has fixed this in VirtualBox 6.1.20.... From its changelog:
That was quick. I only just installed 6.1.16 after downloading it.

Thanks for the heads up.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:41 am
Pjotr wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:10 am Looks like Oracle has fixed this in VirtualBox 6.1.20.... From its changelog:
That was quick. I only just installed 6.1.16 after downloading it.

Thanks for the heads up.
You're welcome. :)

I'm having a bit of trouble finding the right guest additions package for 6.1.22. Can you perhaps help me with that?
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:17 am I'm having a bit of trouble finding the right guest additions package for 6.1.22. Can you perhaps help me with that?
https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.22/
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:18 am
Pjotr wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:17 am I'm having a bit of trouble finding the right guest additions package for 6.1.22. Can you perhaps help me with that?
https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.22/
Thanks. Double-clicking it for installing it, ended not quite successfully:

Code: Select all

Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing VirtualBox 6.1.22 Guest Additions for Linux........
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Removing installed version 6.1.22 of VirtualBox Guest Additions...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.11.0-22-generic
Copying additional installer modules ...
Installing additional modules ...
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Starting.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel 
modules.  This may take a while.
VirtualBox Guest Additions: To build modules for other installed kernels, run
VirtualBox Guest Additions:   /sbin/rcvboxadd quicksetup <version>
VirtualBox Guest Additions: or
VirtualBox Guest Additions:   /sbin/rcvboxadd quicksetup all
VirtualBox Guest Additions: Building the modules for kernel 5.11.0-22-generic.
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.11.0-22-generic
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_gpu_info.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_gpu_info.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_gpu_info.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_toc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_asd.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_asd.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_asd.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_sos.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/renoir_ta.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_me.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_ce.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_me.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_ce.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_me.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_ce.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_me.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_ce.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_rlc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_mec2.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_mec.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_me.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_pfp.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_ce.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_sdma1.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_sdma.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi10_mes.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/oland_uvd.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/pitcairn_uvd.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/verde_uvd.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/tahiti_uvd.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_vcn.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_vcn.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_vcn.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_vcn.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_vcn.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_vcn.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_smc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_smc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_smc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_smc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/arcturus_smc.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navi12_dmcu.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/dimgrey_cavefish_dmcub.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/vangogh_dmcub.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/navy_flounder_dmcub.bin for module amdgpu
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/amdgpu/sienna_cichlid_dmcub.bin for module amdgpu
modprobe vboxguest failed
The log file /var/log/vboxadd-setup.log may contain further information.
Press Return to close this window...
The log file only says "modprobe vboxguest failed".

Perhaps all I need to do is reboot?
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:32 am The log file only says "modprobe vboxguest failed".

Perhaps all I need to do is reboot?
I checked my downloads and it was 6.1.22 that I tried with 5.11. I think they've borked it.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

I wasn't being particularly bright this morning: I was trying to install the Guest Additions in the host system. :P

However, installing the Guest Additions in a VM with Bodhi Linux didn't work either. Oh well.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:52 pm
ThaCrip wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:57 pm EDIT #2: currently running 5.11 kernel. so far, so good.
Only until you want to run VirtualBox, which only works with kernels up to and including 5.10. For those who need VBox, don't go with anything above 5.10 until Oracle have caught up with these advances.
Thanks for the info.

while I have run VirtualBox in the past, it's been a while since I needed to use it (I currently don't even have it installed). but a issue like this will probably be resolved within a month or so tops I would imagine.

but I guess worst case... people can still run 5.8 kernel for a while longer if they needed VirtualBox as that's supported until Aug 2021 and if they really had to could probably run that 5.8 kernel a bit past August fairly safely I would assume since I can't imagine there are any serious security issues related to the kernel that people would exploit, appear all that often(?).
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I use glkfu(1) to get, compile, tweak, and build packages for the latest kernels; I've been using it for a while now and writing it has well beyond paid off. It'll also optimise the kernel (optional) and just make the overall procedure much easier and more automated. If you use it, or in general use the latest kernels, you should know that you'll be the maintainer; that'll be on you. I recommend always keeping an old generic kernel around if things go awry.

Also, GLKFU itself does not install anything, but it will ask you if you want to add some GPG keys, which is the standard procedure and recommended over at kernel.org. The keys are to verify you're working on the legitimate files. I intentionally left the installation up to the user's own discretion.

You don't have to "tweak" the kernel, but if you do some research on how to do all that, you'll reap the benefits.

That said, if that "mainline" thing is like a PPA which gets you generic Ubuntu-configured kernels, without needing to compile, that'll probably be the better solution for you. If you want more control and perhaps to learn some cool stuff, you could try compiling it yourself. Just don't compile a generic kernel, as that takes a lot longer. :lol: My kernel configuration takes around 10-15 minutes, though.

Another thing to keep in mind if you're looking for bleeding edge kernels, is that you'll be updating a lot! I get kernel updates every few days, and since there are no kernel revisions in the sense of having, for example, Canonical's revisions of the 4.15 line for Ubuntu, you'll need to keep up-to-date.

If you have very old hardware, you may find that support for some of it has been or will be dropped. Conversely, if you're on very new hardware, you'll probably find actual or better support as time goes on. You may experience bugs before they are handled. Updates are so frequent that this shouldn't be too dire of a problem, but it's worth keeping in mind, especially if your machine absolutely must be stable at all times.

Negatives aside, I love using the latest kernels, and I don't think I could go back to generic ones. YMMV.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Beginner Questions”