Complete Linux Beginner looking for a guide

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Complete Linux Beginner looking for a guide

Post by Moem »

Hi and welcome! I'm not going to lie... I came to Mint because I was looking for a beginner-friendly distro. And yes, Mint is it. I never used any guide except for the Installation Guide... and then once I had it installed, I just started using it. And that's how I learned a lot. I also installed it for my non-techie mother and she is doing fine, she has very few questions... fewer than back when she was on Windows.
So I'd say: look through the Installation Guide, and if you have questions, ask them here. We'll be happy to help. :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

You might find my website helpful:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Tater
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Tater »

Welcome to Linux!

I would suggest that you try installing Linux Mint and playing around with it. I came to Mint because it was referred to as a "Beginner Friendly" distro on many of the review sites. I have found this to be true.

The most "Beginner Friendly" part seems to me to be that you can come here and ask questions in "user speak" and find answers: You don't need to have a deep technical vocabulary to be able to ask how to do simple, every day tasks. You can also do searches on the web with "linux mint" and then your question in common terms and get useful information. That is much better than being stuck in the situation of not knowing how to ask the question for lack of vocabulary.

Give it a try, all it costs is a little time and effort.
Current victims:
Mint 21 Cinnamon on an MSI B450-a Pro Max AMD Ryzen 5 / 3.6 Ghz 6 Core (12 Thread) w/ 16 GB Ram

Mint 21 XFCE on a Dell Latitude D830 Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 / 2 GHz w/ 4 GB Ram

OS Reinstall Counter is set at 8
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Arch is the exact opposite of "beginner friendly", it's actually closer to creating your own operating system.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

The best way to learn about Linux is simply to use it. If you need help with any specific problem then ask here.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

EleanorGrace wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:43 pm"If you really want to learn how to use linux you should start with arch - if you got that running you understood enough to actually use it."
That's like saying "If you want to learn to drive a car, first build your own engine". Disclaimer: I use Arch as well as Mint.

A general "guide to linux" will be hard to find because so many things can be different between distros and desktops; for instance, installing and removing programs in Arch is completely different than in Ubuntu/Mint. Different desktops (Cinnamon, Xfce, etc) looks and act differently, you can even use different software - the 'shells' - to run terminal commands: bash, zsh, ksh....

If you want to get started, start with Mint rather than Manjaro.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

I agree with the other folks. Install Linux Mint (maybe Cinnamon) and play with it. If you have a specific issue or question then ask here at the forum.

Good luck.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

As others have said learning by doing is best. But this guide may be of help in knowing where to begin.
Enjoy the learning.
https://www.lifewire.com/beginners-guid ... ux-4090233
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Beginner Questions”