how to make a simple update of a backup folder

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dirkoir
Level 4
Level 4

how to make a simple update of a backup folder

Post by Dirkoir »

Hello Gurus:

Here is a question of mine that may make me look really ignorant. But I have a gazillion of things to do and past experimentation has not given me satisfying outcomes.

What I would like to do is an utterly normal (traditional) backup update of a folder and its sub-folders and files.
Sort of like copying the folder to another drive in Nemo by pulling it there with the mouse (or doing a copy-paste). When finished, done; just like with the first backup made.

Problem 1: Nemo will change permissions if they aren't all the same of the current login. (for example root-permissions would become my login name permissions) This would NEVER be what I want. When I want a backup it's like me wanting a perfect photocopy. All exactly the same. Not a faint photocopy or cartoon drawing.

Problem 2: When I have already made such a copy (backup) before, and now I want to update it, how to get that done right? One time-wasting but desired-outcome way would be to delete the backup-folder and then recreate it from scratch via making a fresh copy. But wouldn't it be more reasonable to simply drag the original folder to the backup location WITHOUT first deleting the previously made backup when only a few changes need to be updated? But how to make sure that ONLY updated files and folders replace their already existing older copies of the same name, and that files that were in the meantime deleted in the original folder also get deleted in the backup folder to update it properly --- so in the end the backup folder is identical with the current original folder, which is the original concept of making backups in the simple old days?

Can Nemo do these natural things?

What does its popping up "Merge" button mean?

Things tried: I have played with Grsync and luckyBackup since Nemo has struck me as unreliable. In the older days when I sat on Windows rather than Linux Mint, the default files shell ("Explorer" called, I think) wasn't perfect for backup updates either; so I installed another software ("T"-something) which did it right with maybe only one single fully understandable question or two, if any. In contrast, Grsync and luckyBackup have a huge jungle of partly incomprehensible plus confusingly interacting settings that may very well include a target of Alpha Centauri ( :lol: joke).

In several experiments with luckyBackup I never got it to delete files in the backup that had been deleted in the original folder. (and I have so many other issues to deal with that time is short and nerves are frayed -- hence this post)

So, a good tip would be greatly appreciated by me. Really. Thanks in advance. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
______
Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit | LM19 Cinnamon | LM20.1 MATE | LM20.3 Cinnamon
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: how to make a simple update of a backup folder

Post by spamegg »

Have you tried the Backup Tool that comes with Mint?
backup.png
"Merge" means when you have two folders with the same name, the contents of both folders are put into one. So they are "merged". What is it called in Windows? "Confirm Folder Replace" or something.
But how to make sure that ONLY updated files and folders replace their already existing older copies of the same name, and that files that were in the meantime deleted in the original folder also get deleted in the backup folder to update it properly
I believe this is only possible with a BTRFS file system on your drive, not with Ext4. I'm not sure though. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean correctly.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Dirkoir wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:41 am ...how to make sure that ONLY updated files and folders replace their already existing older copies of the same name, and that files that were in the meantime deleted in the original folder also get deleted in the backup folder to update it properly --- so in the end the backup folder is identical with the current original folder, which is the original concept of making backups in the simple old days?...
I'm doing pretty much that with FreeFileSync. When set up in Mirror mode (not the same as RAID 1), it will compare the source folder, partition, or drive with the destination (the backup), then copy any new or changed folders and files from the source to the destination and delete any folders and files on the destination that are not on the source. The source is untouched. This results in what is essentially a clone of the source on the destination. Since only folders and files that have been added, changed, and deleted are involved, there is minimal writing done and updating backups can be very fast.

An added feature, when enabled (which I strongly recommend) is called Versioning. When a folder or file is deleted from the destination, it gets sent to a user designated Versioning folder. This protects data that became corrupted or accidentally deleted on the source from being lost on the destination.

You can get FreeFileSync from the Software Manager. It also has a user forum at https://freefilesync.org/forum/index.ph ... a77dd998ef.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TI58C »

For all kinds of backups, nothing beats rsync. If you want / need gui, grsync that is just a graphical front-end for rsync.

Yes, know you said you have "played" with it...
It night help to check these:

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/linux ... th-grsync/

https://www.howtogeek.com/66348/how-to- ... -easy-way/

https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grsync.html

Experiment a bit with a dir with just a few files and an external medium like usb-drive or usb-stick. It really is no rocket science, but rather simple.

Robert
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.
Joss
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Joss »

Dirkoir wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:41 amIn several experiments with luckyBackup I never got it to delete files in the backup that had been deleted in the original folder.
But LuckyBackup does just that. And it does it with the default "backup source inside destination".
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Here is an rsync command I use for backing up my system to en external disk named backup20.

Code: Select all

sudo rsync -Hlrtv --delete --exclude={"/dev/*","/proc/*","/swapfile","/sys/*","/tmp/*","/run/*","/mnt/*","/media/*","/lost+found"} / /media/me/backup20
The delete option deletes old files. The exclude option excludes files I do not need backed up. You can look up the other options.

The external disk is formatted as Ext4 because that lets rsync work magic. The first backup is slow because it copies everything. The next backup is fast, to Ext4, because rsync does not have to copy things that are already on the backup disk.

The Backintime program uses rsync to work the same magic for a backup of your home directory. The advantage of Backintime is the separate snapshot for every backup. When Backintime backs up to an Ext4 partition, rsync copies only things that have changes, saving you heaps of time. But everything appears in the snapshot because the other files are created as links, something you get only in Ext4.

With Backintime,you can go to an old snapshot and retrieve a file you deleted. Backintime is similar to Timeshift and is configured for your home directory instead of the system files. Backintime lets you set up multiple profiles for different types of backup, something I use for special projects.

Return to “Beginner Questions”