"5 viruses"

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sdcougar
Level 3
Level 3

"5 viruses"

Post by sdcougar »

Just in last week or so, keep getting a small pop up window on Firefox in the top right corner that says "Macafee Expired" "Update..." Just now, it went to new tab (first time) and said I had "5 viruses"

I think this McAfee notice just began since last updates were installed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lenovo G50 AMD A8 Mint 19.2 64 bit Cinnamon
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: "5 viruses"

Post by Moonstone Man »

sdcougar wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:39 pm I think this McAfee notice just began since last updates were installed.
That's irrelevant. You've visited a site that is pushing that message. Clear your browser cache, all of it. Cookies, history, site data, cached content...
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

You might want to seriously consider using a content blocker such as uBlock Origin (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... ck-origin/).

Many websites use unscrupulous content, ads, and javascript that result in what you saw, which was basically lying to you in order to scare you into buying their product.

You can use this guide so you can understand how to use uBlock Origin - it is very simple once you learn the few basic concepts: https://www.maketecheasier.com/ultimate ... ers-guide/. This guide also shows how to enable the more Advanced features if and when you're comfortable doing so.
sdcougar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdcougar »

Thank you both. I did clear all histories, cookies, cache, offline data ("Everything" time frame)

I closed the browser and just came back. The popup is still there.

I will try the recommended blocking tool.

Thank you.
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

Did you, or did anyone using that computer, ever install McAfee Anti Virus for Linux? When did you install that copy of Linux and what version is it?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have never incurred a message that I have a virus on my Linux PC, regardless of what distro I was playing with.

for the last 2 years, I have run only flavors of Linux Mint and always default back to Cinnamon when all is done.

this is my selection of AddOns, seems to take care of me very well.
I get a lot of blocked pages from uBlock Origin and NoTrace and when that occurs, I just forget that website.

AddOns.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
sdcougar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdcougar »

newlyminted7 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:34 pm Did you, or did anyone using that computer, ever install McAfee Anti Virus for Linux? When did you install that copy of Linux and what version is it?
No, Mcaffee never installed.

Must be at couple years since 19.2 was installed.

I added the u block to firefox, but the popup is still there. Other than the aggravation, doe the popup do any harm?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Probably not but I'd configure Firefox Sync to backup that which you want backed up from your current install (i.e., bookmarks, passwords, ...), sync and sign out, close Firefox and start new by simply rm -r ~/.mozilla/firefox. Relogin to Sync upon starting Firefox again and sync back your data. Preferably don't also sync addons; realisticaly uBlock Origin is the only addon you need at least in this context and that's easily reinstalled.
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

Is the popup appearing as part of the Firefox window itself and not on a web page?

Perhaps it is a McAfee-related addon that got installed at some point (I think there are other McAfee addons aside from just the Anti Virus software)?
See https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1091396

Can you check your Firefox Addons in the browser settings to see if any were ever added?
dorsetUK
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dorsetUK »

sdcougar wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:19 pm No, Mcaffee never installed.
Hi sdcougar[
I was wondering how you manage pop ups in Firefox? Have you done this? https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/po ... leshooting

HTH
missmoondog
Level 5
Level 5

Post by missmoondog »

other than recommending ublock origin, which is a must have on any browser, go to your privacy and security section in firefox and set enhanced tracking options to strict.

it's been years since i've seen any kind of pop up in any browser though since using ublock origin.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

sdcougar wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:19 pm
newlyminted7 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:34 pm Did you, or did anyone using that computer, ever install McAfee Anti Virus for Linux? When did you install that copy of Linux and what version is it?
I added the u block to firefox, but the popup is still there. Other than the aggravation, doe the popup do any harm?
I'm wondering if at some point you've inadvertently allowed web push notifications whilst browsing a site.

If so, there's some info on MacAfee's website here: https://bit.ly/33jhYED

That page includes (further down) instructions on how to check on Firefox if you've allowed any sites to push notifications, and how to prevent it. From what I've also read, once you allow web push notifications you don't necessarily have to be back on the same site before you'll get a pop-up.

Other Googled info explains that it's probably a malicious phishing attempt to get personal info (so don't click on it, or if you do don't give them any info), and also that browser blockers might not actually block these types of notification. I.e: you'll have to attempt the instructions on the MacAfee page and see if changing the FF settings for notifications solves the issue.
Joss
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Joss »

Could you post a screenshot of the popup?
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

Joss wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:59 pm Could you post a screenshot of the popup?
Agreed. he should do that as it's simple enough on Mint... shift+print screen and then one can manually select what one wants to show in the screenshot that way using mouse pointer with holding left click and moving mouse over the screen in the area you want to be apart of the screenshot and then release left click and it will ask you to save the image and that's that.
Last edited by ThaCrip on Thu May 06, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

<gnarghff>

Just let him or her reset the bloody Firefox profile and be done with it already.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

rene wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:28 pm <gnarghff>

Just let him or her reset the bloody Firefox profile and be done with it already.
Great point. unless someone wants to continue to play around with it, what you said should be a sure way to fix it since it's like it's wiping all previous Firefox data and starting clean.

but I guess others are somewhat curious to see exactly what it is that happened to that person is all.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Fair enough I suppose, but before you know it threads such as these hit page 10 since everyone and, especially, his or her dog has an opinion on browser secuwity. Poster's probably been infected with some form of browser malware; can now spend a few pages of thread diagnosing with what and how while carefully navigating through well-meaning internet-forum secuwity horse-manure or can just blow that junk away and be done with it. I know what I pick...
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

rene wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:43 pm Fair enough I suppose, but before you know it threads such as these hit page 10 since everyone and, especially, his or her dog has an opinion on browser secuwity. Poster's probably been infected with some form of browser malware; can now spend a few pages of thread diagnosing with what and how while carefully navigating through well-meaning internet-forum secuwity horse-manure or can just blow that junk away and be done with it. I know what I pick...
Another good point as I tend to agree with you here as after a while it can get quite confusing for the original starter of the topic when you start getting pages of random people helping/giving suggestions.

but I tend to agree with you as unless someone wants to look into the possible details, they are better off, like you said, to just wipe the browser profile and start clean as it's nice and quick and they can move on with their lives, which is probably the most likely option for the casual person who wants some help in here is to just fix it as quickly as possible and then move on. but even assuming they go this route... it might be nice to know HOW they get infected (assuming it's browser malware) in the first place so it does not happen again shortly after fixing the issue with a new clean profile.
Turtletronic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Turtletronic »

All this "install ublock" yada yada ... ever thought about the possibility that it is not "a popup" but an (abused) website push notification? ublock does not help against those ...
My music library includes 83,250 tracks. My advice? Forget Amarok, Banshee, Clementine & Rhythmbox. Stick with Windows tools like MusicBee.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Turtletronic wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:52 am All this "install ublock" yada yada ... ever thought about the possibility that it is not "a popup" but an (abused) website push notification?
Yes. But we first like a clean browser to be able to see/suggest that it were.

Return to “Beginner Questions”