Ubuntu trying to overwrite file durinig update

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ljmclean
Level 1
Level 1

Ubuntu trying to overwrite file durinig update

Post by ljmclean »

Hi All,

I am a Newbie - and this is my first post.

I have received the following error during a periodic update of my system:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/freecad-common_2%3a0.19+dfsg1~202103010052~ubuntu16.04.1_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/freecad/Mod/Test /Workbench.py', which is also in package freecad-runtime 2:0.18.4+dfsg1~201911102059~ubuntu16.04.1

FYI I get the following info (along with a lot of other) when I used the command : " innxi -Fxxxrz " in the terminal window :

System: Host: lyle-ThinkPad-X220 Kernel: 4.4.0-203-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.0.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: mdm
Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah

I hope this question is not too basic. Any help as to what action I can take to remove this conflict will be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Ubuntu trying to overwrite file durinig update

Post by RIH »

How did you install Freecad - as that app appears to be the issue..

By the way, Mint 18.x is no longer supported. You need to think about upgrading to Mint 19.x or 20.x..
ljmclean
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ljmclean »

I installed FreeCad some time ago, and have upgraded it each month using the Upgrade Manager when I do a general ugrade of my software.

I remember installing it using by following the installation instructions for Linux on the FreeCad web site (https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Manual:Installing).

I recall getting this error message each time I update FreeCad.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

I believe that your problems are stemming from the fact that you are using Mint 18.
Freecad is trying to reach Ubuntu 16.04 repositories.
Both these distributions went end of life last month & so, are no longer supported.
You need to upgrade to Mint 19.x or 20.x - whichever best suits your equipment.

Freecad installs & updates on Mint 20.1 with no issues..
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

RIH wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:22 am I believe that your problems are stemming from the fact that you are using Mint 18.
Freecad is trying to reach Ubuntu 16.04 repositories.
Both these distributions went end of life last month & so, are no longer supported.
You need to upgrade to Mint 19.x or 20.x - whichever best suits your equipment.

Freecad installs & updates on Mint 20.1 with no issues..
I agree:

your problem is End of Life for 18.3

so, use Aptik or other backup utility to save all of your /home and do a fresh install with 19.3 at a minimum,
I have a personal hiccup against installing anything less the XX.3
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Beginner Questions”