[SOLVED] Sent email sound effect in Geary?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] Sent email sound effect in Geary?

Post by newlyminted7 »

I'm using the Geary email client, and I enabled the "Sent Sound" plugin that says it "plays the desktop sent-mail sound when an email is sent". But it plays a little "pop" sound, which is not very "email sent" sounding to me. I'd like to change it. But I can't find this sound in Preferences -> Sound -> Sounds tab. It lists about 12 or 13 sounds there, but none of them are "Sent-mail", nor do any of them make that little "pop" sound. Where would this sound be located on the drive? What sound file is Geary actually playing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Sent email sound effect in Geary?

Post by rene »

It's probably /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/message.oga, also my "New Message" sound in Thunderbird.
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

Aha! You're right, thank you, rene.
Too bad they're the same sound... Maybe I can overwrite it with a different "sent" sound file.
My new mail sound in Geary is just the Notification sound in the Preferences sounds panel since it just shows up as a Notification.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

If I look at https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/geary/-/ ... sound.vala it is seemingly the "message-sent-email" sound that is attempted. The dconf /org/gnome/desktop/sound/theme-name value is (here) "LinuxMint" which is... supposedly.... maybe... to say that the idea is that the sound is retrieved as /usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo/message-sent-email.<supported extension>.

Now, how that currently ends up at /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/message.oga is utterly beyond me but perhaps try if in fact adding e.g.

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/bell.oga /usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo/message-sent-email.oga
turns the sound into a bell. Really no idea about this desktop theming stuff, but maybe...

[EDIT] Note; if you copy/pasted that, I initially had a typo "sound" instead of "sounds", now corrected.
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

Thanks, rene. I managed to copy a new sound overtop of "message.oga" and I think that should work okay for now. I appreciate your help.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [SOLVED] Sent email sound effect in Geary?

Post by rene »

Fair enough. Semi-interested in how the principle of e.g. sound theming works but in that desktop context almost never enough to actually do more than some idle googling. Shall live with not getting to actually understand it now either :)
newlyminted7
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newlyminted7 »

Same. This is about as far as I think I'll go with sound theming.
For what it's worth, this is the sound I replaced it with:
https://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/wiki-im ... _Swish.ogg
(from https://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgc ... nd_Effects)
Should work fine unless I ever switch to Thunderbird or another application that uses the file with the intention of it being the "new message" sound instead of the "sent message" sound. Too bad Mint doesn't distinguish between the two as they are obviously very different events. Oh well.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

If I look solely at my personal usage of mail I must also say that it's not immediate clear to me why I'd want a message-sent sound. Me in fact pressing the "Send" button seems fair notice already --- but there's probably a reason, so never mind.

I just restarted Thunderbird with a new profile and as I thought I remembered, message.oga is not actually its default. The "default system sound for new mail" as what it is by default set to to is and has as far as I remember always been silent / broken and I plugged in the message.oga as a custom file after deselecting said default.

FWIW, but that then means it's not going to be problem :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”