it's complicated

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ermokratis
Level 1
Level 1

it's complicated

Post by ermokratis »

Good evening,
I bought a PC a week ago and I installed Linux Mint 20.1

Code: Select all

System:    Kernel: 5.4.0-72-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 
           wm: muffin dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: Micro-Star model: B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II (MS-7C02) v: 3.0 
           serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: H.30 date: 11/30/2020 
CPU:       Topology: 6-Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen 3 
           L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 88803 
           Speed: 2197 MHz min/max: 2200/3700 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2197 2: 2195 3: 2200 
           4: 2192 5: 2198 6: 2199 7: 2200 8: 2198 9: 2195 10: 2199 11: 2197 12: 2199 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GP107GL [Quadro P400] driver: nvidia v: 460.73.01 bus ID: 26:00.0 
           chip ID: 10de:1cb3 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: nvidia 
           unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa resolution: 1680x1050~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: Quadro P400/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 460.73.01 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: NVIDIA GP107GL High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 26:00.1 chip ID: 10de:0fb9 
           Device-2: AMD Starship/Matisse HD Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: snd_hda_intel 
           v: kernel bus ID: 28:00.4 chip ID: 1022:1487 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-72-generic 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Micro-Star MSI 
           driver: r8169 v: kernel port: f000 bus ID: 22:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8168 
           IF: enp34s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 2.05 TiB used: 20.99 GiB (1.0%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD10EZEX-75WN4A1 size: 931.51 GiB 
           speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST3750525AS size: 698.64 GiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s 
           serial: <filter> 
           ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Western Digital model: WD5000AAKX-08U6AA0 size: 465.76 GiB 
           speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 915.40 GiB used: 20.99 GiB (2.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 0.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 42 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 34% 
Repos:     No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
           1: deb http: //ftp.otenet.gr/linux/linuxmint-packages ulyssa main upstream import backport
           2: deb http: //ubuntu.otenet.gr focal main restricted universe multiverse
           3: deb http: //ubuntu.otenet.gr focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
           4: deb http: //ubuntu.otenet.gr focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
           5: deb http: //security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
           6: deb http: //archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
Info:      Processes: 294 Uptime: 5m Memory: 15.62 GiB used: 976.4 MiB (6.1%) Init: systemd v: 245 
           runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 9 Client: Unknown python3.8 client inxi: 3.0.38 
I connected the monitor to the graphics card with an HDMI MDP cable (the graphics card can only connect via MDP)
when I connect the speakers I have no sound
I have sound through the on-screen speakers
the headphones do not work
and when the resolution is set to 1080, the taskbar appears halfway and the windows come out of the screen (not much)
when I set the resolution to 1680 1050 16:10 the taskbar and the windows appear ok.

When I connected the graphics card to DVI via an adapter the resolution is OK but I have no sound
nor via the on-screen speakers and of course neither the headphones
when i took it to the seller it connected it to a hard drive that was installed windows he told me that everything was working normally

I can not understand where the problem is located
is the motherboard, the graphics card, the operating system, there is some incompatibility between them?
or I'm just very unlucky?
I understand that it is quite a complex problem (impossible for me to solve it)
If anyone knows or can suggest a solution I would be grateful

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Re: it's complicated

Post by manyroads »

Here are some ideas/ suggestions.

1. Did you test your hardware with the Cinnamon LiveUSB to see if the problems remain? If not you should.
2. Perhaps trying it with the xfce version might also help to determine if the problem resides in the DE. That process should provide some decent clues.
3. Lastly, have you reviewed your error log? (it is is in $Home called .xsession-errors )
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
SwayWM, i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

Install kernel 5.8. Maybe it will help.

Regards, Jože
ermokratis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ermokratis »

to Manyroads

1 I did not. I do not have such a thing, nor do I know how
2 what is DE
3 I do not understand what is written
I am a simple user
thanks anyway

to senjoz
I wonder if it gets worse
thanks anyway
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ermokratis wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:49 pm 1 I did not. I do not have such a thing, nor do I know how
It's the DVD or USB stick that you used to install Linux Mint from.
2 what is DE
Desktop environment. A specific 'flavour' or version of Mint. Yours is Cinnamon; it's the one that needs the most resources and it also requires pretty decent graphics hardware.
The other options are called MATE and Xfce. They are lighter and do not use as much memory.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ermokratis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ermokratis »

to moem

about memory, I had mint 19.3 and 20.1 cinnamon with less memory and there was no problem
thanks anyway
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

ermokratis wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:40 pmIf anyone knows or can suggest a solution I would be grateful
For the sound, that can be your sound settings. Use Synaptic (Start Menu -> Administration -> Synaptic, enter password) and search the package "pavucontrol". Install that, and your start menu group "Sound and Video" will have a new program "PulseAudio Volume Control". That allows detailed configuration of audio input and output.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

If you aren't going to take any advice, what is the point of posting your problem?
No one is going to magically be able to fix your computer from a distance.

You try the simple things and if they don't work, you try something a little more complicated.
If you don't know how to do something, just ask rather than being sarcastic about the advice given.

Live boot is the simplest way to test something. If that doesn't work, the next step with your hardware would be to upgrade your kernel.

To upgrade your kernel, go to Menu, type in Kernel Manager, and click the 5.8 kernel with the highest version number, then install. Reboot and see if that helps.

Always make sure your data is backed up to an external drive.
If you have Timeshift, create a snapshot before updating your kernel.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

ermokratis wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:19 pm about memory, I had mint 19.3 and 20.1 cinnamon with less memory and there was no problem
thanks anyway
You're welcome. I did not say you don't have enough memory, I just answered your questions.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ermokratis wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:40 pm I bought a PC a week ago and I installed Linux Mint 20.1
You bought a brand new pc with the very latest hardware (processor just came out in November) which means you are going to need newer drivers/kernels than what came out with LM20 last summer.

CPU:       Topology: 6-Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen 3 
If this is the correct page for your motherboard Support For B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II you should update the BIOS/UEFI on your motherboard so it properly supports your 5th gen Ryzen processor. An update came out in February 2021 which lists:
- Optimized and support AMD Ryzen 5000 series processors."

You are still running the older UEFI from November.

Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: Micro-Star model: B450 TOMAHAWK MAX II (MS-7C02) v: 3.0 
           serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: H.30 date: 11/30/2020 
As already mentioned by several people, you should upgrade your Linux kernel. Your system needs to be running at least the 5.8 kernel and probably should be running something newer than 5.8.

To install the 5.8 kernel, open Update Manager. Select View > Linux Kernels and click Continue. Make sure 5.8 is selected on the left panel and then click the top-most option on the right panel. An "Install" button will appear. Install the kernel and then reboot for it to become active.

If updating the UEFI and upgrading to the 5.8 kernel do not clear the issues you are seeing, move to the 5.10-oem kernel. You can install it with sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04b and then reboot for it to become active.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

Moem wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:53 pmYours is Cinnamon; it's the one that needs the most resources and it also requires pretty decent graphics hardware.
It's already fine with Cinnamon and all effects enabled on my Vega 11 integrated graphics - which are about on a par with a GT 1030, and that's a low-end card. My 4700U laptop with Vega 7 (even slower) is also perfectly good with Cinnamon.
ermokratis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ermokratis »

to gittiest personITW
you misunderstood me, I'm not sarcastic. I just do not understand.
a phrase like this :Install kernel 5.8. Maybe it will help, for me is dark and it is natural to hesitate.

to Moem
I just answered your questions I'm sorry but I did not understand
as I wrote I am just a user
very likely my English is worse than i think

to SMG
I do not want to bother but you could you explain to me how to update BIOS/UEFI
I download the update from the site and now what?
I can update via bios?
thank you
DPM
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DPM »

ermokratis wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:52 pma phrase like this :Install kernel 5.8. Maybe it will help, for me is dark and it is natural to hesitate.
Start menu -> Administration -> Update Manager. In the new window, Menu -> View -> Linux Kernels. In the left column, 5.8. Then in the right column, click the one at the top. Click Install.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

ermokratis wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:52 pm to SMG
I do not want to bother but you could you explain to me how to update BIOS/UEFI
I download the update from the site and now what?
I can update via bios?
thank you
Check the operating manual for your motherboard for instructions on how to update it.

If the link I provided earlier was correct, then there was a tab on that page for the Manual. Here is the link for Manual - Europe. It looks like the instructions for updating the BIOS start around page 28 and there is more than one way to do it.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
timmn1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by timmn1 »

MSI has a You-tube video on how to flash the BIOS using M-Flash on the current BIOS:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRyFMf0D9Lc

The instructions are for Windows, but it's close enough that I'm sure you will be able to figure it out. I've done it on a MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus and it worked just fine.
Someday, maybe I'll figure out exactly what the hell I'm doing.
ermokratis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ermokratis »

DPM wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:26 pm
ermokratis wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:40 pmIf anyone knows or can suggest a solution I would be grateful
For the sound, that can be your sound settings. Use Synaptic (Start Menu -> Administration -> Synaptic, enter password) and search the package "pavucontrol". Install that, and your start menu group "Sound and Video" will have a new program "PulseAudio Volume Control". That allows detailed configuration of audio input and output.
both speakers and headphones work fine
Thank you very much
ermokratis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ermokratis »

If updating the UEFI and upgrading to the 5.8 kernel do not clear the issues you are seeing, move to the 5.10-oem kernel.
[/quote]

unfortunately none of this solved the problem regarding the analysis
so i thought of connecting the graphics card to DVI (When I connected the graphics card to DVI via an adapter the resolution is OK)
where after the installation of pavucontrol everything works fine.
Thank you for your time and for the detailed explanation
ermokratis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ermokratis »

many thanks to everyone
I do not know how to say it in English
so I will write it in Greek
Να είστε όλοι καλά

Return to “Beginner Questions”