How do I make it where stuff downloads on my hdd?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
haloha
Level 1
Level 1

How do I make it where stuff downloads on my hdd?

Post by haloha »

So earlier today I got this Mint Linux thing, I installed the actual Linux shit on my SSD and I want anything else to download onto my 1tb hdd, but instead it downloads on a "248 gb block device". Now, I no clue what it is, I looked it up and results told me I definitely can't figue any of this out myself. It also shows this block device on my file explorer. So heres my question: how do I change all of this to my hdd instead of this block device?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How do I make it where stuff downloads on my hdd?

Post by ricardogroetaers »

Very difficult to understand:
1- What did you download?
2- what did you install?

Trying to decipher what would be a "block device". I request:
4- Figure of the File Manager showing the "block device".
5- Output of the command:
sudo parted -l
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

haloha wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:13 pm So earlier today I got this Mint Linux thing, I installed the actual Linux shit on my SSD and I want anything else to download onto my 1tb hdd, but instead it downloads on a "248 gb block device". Now, I no clue what it is, I looked it up and results told me I definitely can't figue any of this out myself. It also shows this block device on my file explorer. So heres my question: how do I change all of this to my hdd instead of this block device?
Start here: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=318644
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

anytime you "download" anything,
the location it goes to is determined by the Browser Preferences and this has Nothing To Do with Linux.

you should go into the Preferences section and change the Default from /Downloads
to "Choose Location"

downloads.png
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

AZgl1500 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:24 amanytime you "download" anything, the location it goes to is determined by the Browser Preferences and this has Nothing To Do with Linux.
To put it more properly: Anytime you download anything, the location it goes to is determined by the program doing the downloading. If it is the browser, then the browser, if it is another program, like a file sharing program or a software updater then that program will put the downloaded files wherever it puts them. The OS as such does not download your files or put them anywhere.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

haloha wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:13 pmbut instead it downloads on a "248 gb block device"
What is the "it" doing the downloading and what is the "it" being downloaded?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Turtletronic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Turtletronic »

Dropped my first aid kit right when I read
haloha wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:13 pm ... I installed the actual Linux shit on my SSD ...
Calling all this Linux "shit" and wanting help shows the mindset of this individual.
From his blabbering I assume that he wanted to have Mint installed on his SSD; everything else he now downloads should end up on his spinner (HDD).
It seems that he can not even recognize the "block device" as his SSD because, you know, Windows users only know "C:" and such.
Having to hold apart two or three devices is not THAT hard, even for a Windows user. Except you are drunk, stoned, or both.

Honestly? I think he's merely trying to downlaod something and can't select a different device as saving location.
But if we ask for specifics or the used desktop environment he'll totally lose it ...
My music library includes 83,250 tracks. My advice? Forget Amarok, Banshee, Clementine & Rhythmbox. Stick with Windows tools like MusicBee.

Return to “Beginner Questions”