(solved) 3 days in and everything is really slow - has evolved into an installation conundrum

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DAMIEN1307

Re: 3 days in and everything is really slow - has evolved into an installation conundrum

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Should I mark this solved now? Or maybe suspended?
Hopefully, you are buying an SSD drive.

If it were me, I wouldnt re-title the thread at all, just let it rest until the new SSD is installed then follow the instructions that i provided to install Mint once again and open a new thread to show your results etc.

Keep us informed in order to be able to be of further assistance...Im listing the instructions below again so you have them all in one posting...lol...DAMIEN

Make sure that in the bios/UEFI of your lappy, that you disabled both "fast boot" and "secure boot" before attempting your installation. Those two functions in the bios can, and do, interfere with a proper linux installation as they are Microsoft Windows way of doing things.

Let's keep it simple to start off with since things seem like they were overly complicated in your last install attempts, and make sure it is actually plugged into the wall and not doing this just under battery power.

First off, stop trying to create "proper partitioning" as in using g-parted etc....Let the Linux Mint installer choose to erase/replace everything on that drive, it will just use the entire hardrive without the need for separate boot or home partitions.

In the installer section choose erase/replace option or however that is worded...Do Not choose anything thats says LVM...Also dont choose "something else".

DO choose to install any third party drivers or whatever that says.

DO NOT choose to download updates while it is trying to install the initial operating system...Do that after its installed.

Make sure that ALL external drives are totally disconnected from the computer before doing the installation.

Once it is all installed, follow instructions to unplug the USB from computer and THEN reboot system.

Once rebooted, download all updates that the update manager shows that need updating...DO NOT try installing other software until at least all of this is done first and then report back if it now works or not...DAMIEN
MatrixOpal
Level 1
Level 1

Re: 3 days in and everything is really slow - has evolved into an installation conundrum

Post by MatrixOpal »

Thanks all for stepping up.. It's going to be few days. I have a bit of travelling I have to do. Thankfully during the "fix this beast" process, I'll have my old (2017 build) tower system for internet access. and a printer! Writing down everything, trying to catch error messages scrolling by.. when ya have handwriting that it takes a pharmacist to read has been the most frustrating part of all this.
Y'all have been great.

hopefully my next post will say.. woohoo.. all installed with a new SSD.
Old broad looking for new OS tricks.. it could happen.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Test your hdd with the link I gave before you discard it.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
MatrixOpal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MatrixOpal »

I'm back.. it's up and running.. installation was a breeze; both the OS and the hard drive.
It absolutely was the hard drive. I wasn't able to test that old one .. couldn't even download anything at the tail end of the saga.
It's safely stored in the little bag the new one came in.. yes I went SSD.
So far, all my reboots are astoundingly fast.
I have one USB stick that refuses to mount.. everything else is golden.

I'm stoked to have finally cut the windows cord.

thanks everybody.. going back to mark solved.
Old broad looking for new OS tricks.. it could happen.
DAMIEN1307

Re: (solved) 3 days in and everything is really slow - has evolved into an installation conundrum

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I'm back.. it's up and running.. installation was a breeze; both the OS and the hard drive.
I'm very happy to read that all is now well and no further problems with installation, Hard drive etc...I know you will be happier with the SSD...DAMIEN
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

MatrixOpal wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:50 pm I'm back.. it's up and running.. installation was a breeze; both the OS and the hard drive.
It absolutely was the hard drive. I wasn't able to test that old one .. couldn't even download anything at the tail end of the saga.
It's safely stored in the little bag the new one came in.. yes I went SSD.
So far, all my reboots are astoundingly fast.
I have one USB stick that refuses to mount.. everything else is golden.

I'm stoked to have finally cut the windows cord.

thanks everybody.. going back to mark solved.
CONGRATS MAN!! :D \m/ Good deal going with the ssd too. Welcome to the modern era of computing. Cheers.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor

Return to “Beginner Questions”