CUPS is destroying my computer

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
filipemarch
Level 1
Level 1

CUPS is destroying my computer

Post by filipemarch »

Please...
This program is taking ALL space from my SSD. I'm very emotional right now
It is not the first time, every day it is consuming more than 100 GB from my memory, until I have 0 bytes in space, in which my computer will completely stop working, I can't even open the terminal after that and I have to do stupid things just to use my computer again
I need help immediately to remove this VIRUS from my computer, it is called CUPS, and it creates an infinite error_log document inside /var/log, destroying all my memory and all my peace

Sorry, I took 5 minutes off to calm down, I am here to learn. Would you be able to explain me why this error occurs?

"E [16/Oct/2016:09:48:03 +0300] Directory \"/usr/lib/cups/notifier\" has insecure permissions (040775/uid=0/gid=0)."

I got very angry and I removed everything that has the name "cups" on my computer. I hope I didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
I found on some forums people saying: "Once you change the permissions with sudo chmod 755 /usr/lib/cups/notifier, the file should stop growing. ", but it didn't work for me. I tried other suggested solutions, but the only thing that stopped this beautiful piece of software called CUPS of destroying my computer was uninstalling it completely.

:evil: :x
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DAMIEN1307

Re: CUPS is destroying my computer

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

You do, of course, realise that "cups" is used as part of the printer systems in Linux...Right ???...DAMIEN

https://opensource.com/article/19/1/cups-printing-linux

https://linuxconfig.org/linux-cups-tuto ... -beginners

Edit...I would be out looking for that "baby" you threw out with the bath water.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:57 pmI would be out looking for that "baby" you threw out with the bath water.
It might be easier and make more sense to just make a new one.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

It might be easier and make more sense to just make a new one.
Very true i think...Uninstalling everything to do with cups as well as its dependencies has probably ruined the operating systems printing abilities, (and who knows what else), at least beyond the repairs necessary that the OP might be able to accomplish.

New clean install of the operating system seems to be the right thing to do at this point...DAMIEN
dave1953
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dave1953 »

Sure it isn't Timeshift backups filling your drive? CUPS is relatively benign and purely concerned with correctly driving your printer(s). I'm afraid you have a system error somewhere and the advice to start again with a fresh install is very good advice. I have a 250gb ssd carrying Mint and nothing else apart from my preferred applications. My system runs two printers via CUPS, one Ricoh mono laser and one Canon colour printer/fax/scanner combi completely efficiently and with no problems. BTW I'm no expert, just researched and sought advice from the Group when I was baffled. Please 'start again' with a fresh installation and take it from there.

Return to “Beginner Questions”