[Solved] Trouble Renaming Files & Folders

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bc-os
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] Trouble Renaming Files & Folders

Post by bc-os »

For some reason I cannot rename files or folders via the GUI in a handful of directories. I'm trying to work on some of my C libraries. I go to:
~/Cthings/mylibs
and in that folder I cannot rename any files or folders. Pressing F2 does nothing. Right-clicking and choosing "Rename" does nothing. (The click is valid. The menu option is not grayed-out or anything. It just has no effect.)

Then I created another folder:
~/Cthings/mytest

I copied one file from 'mylibs' to 'mytest': abcid3.h
In 'mytest' I was able to rename 'abcid3.h'. I figured something might be wrong with the 'mylibs' folder, so I deleted the 'abcid3.h' file from 'mytest' then went back to 'mylibs', did Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C and pasted all of them into 'mytest' and tried to rename some files. I lost the ability to rename again... Weird. I'm able to rename if I move or copy one file at a time. Also weird, I can open or delete any files, just not rename.

I wondered if there was something off with file permissions. I opened a terminal to check. All of my sources and other files have 755 permissions. While in the terminal, I thought I would try (in the directory ~/Cthings/mylibs):
mv abcid3.h abcfoo
And sure enough it was renamed successfully. I saw the GUI window update accordingly. Any idea what is going on?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Trouble Renaming Files & Folders

Post by all41 »

Which file manager?
Always include as much info as possible. See this link:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83444
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
bc-os
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bc-os »

Would it be Nautilus or Caja? (I don't really know what the difference between these two are.)
I'm running Mint 20.1, MATE desktop.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Read through the replies on this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=206&t=296934&hilit=caja
Does this seem to describe the problem?
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

bc-os wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:09 pm Would it be Nautilus or Caja? (I don't really know what the difference between these two are.)
I'm running Mint 20.1, MATE desktop.
Nautilus = Gnome
Caja = Mate
Xfce = Thunar
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
bc-os
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bc-os »

all41 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:11 pm Read through the replies on this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=206&t=296934&hilit=caja
Does this seem to describe the problem?
That describes it perfectly. I resized the window to get rid of the vertical scrollbar and I was able to rename.
It seems to happen when there's only approximately half-an-icon's worth of scroll room.

(Also, FWIW, I did search the forums looking for a solution before posting. But I had no idea Caja was the culprit, so all I could think to search for was "can't rename" or "cannot rename". I got 1,906 results which was too overwhelming to sift through. My apologies if this is a redundant post.)

Return to “Beginner Questions”