How do I configure Hypnotics? Mint 20.1

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintjulip
Level 3
Level 3

How do I configure Hypnotics? Mint 20.1

Post by mintjulip »

Hi Guys

I have just installed Linux Mint 20.1 and came across Hypnotix which has No Channels No Movies No Series and importantly No Providers

When I go to the Ad Provider Screen I have no idea how to fill in the details required

Being in the UK should I put in the URL of FreeIPTV or the URL of my Internet Provider

Also I don't have any idea what EPG means

Please could somebody help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
londoner
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How do I configure Hypnotics? Mint 20.1

Post by londoner »

EPG stands for Electronic Programme Guide.

Hypnotix does not need to be configured. As you have just installed Mint 20.1, you are probably on an old version of Hypnotix. The original provider has taken his GitHub repos offline (as discussed on several other posts in these forums).

Make sure you are updated to the latest version of Hypnotix (currently 1.6). This updates the provider to someone else and when you restart you should see a list of about 301 TV channels including 21 in the UK.

The are many other alternate providers on GitHub.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

The links for channels seem to change constantly on Hypnotix -
These 2 currently work for me - TODAY.. :D
This is how they are filled in..
iptv.png
That has only a small number of channels (59) but some are ITV, BBC & it is easy to browse.
iptv1.png
That has thousands, but it is 'topic' listed, rather than language, so takes some looking through to find what you want.

They are very easy to add - you just need to seek out & add m3u addresses - though the most reliable ones are pay for...
It is worth searching Github for free ones though - some of the Google advertised free ones are highly dubious sites to say the least..
mintjulip
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mintjulip »

Hi Many Thanks
Just what I needed to know
rickNS
Level 9
Level 9

Post by rickNS »

I found that the free TV channels (at least the few that I did watch) were "over priced".
Has anyone found any that are actually worth watching ?
Mint 20.0, and 21.0 MATE on Thinkpads, 3 X T420, T450, T470, and X200
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

rickNS wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:32 pm Has anyone found any that are actually worth watching ?
Not really, the UK free to air stations can be found & used fairly easily but sports coverage (for example) is far harder.
As with my Firestick, you, realistically, have to pay to get a steady and valid option.
As I said before, the free M3u offerings you get through googling need to be treated with some caution. :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”