How to burn video_ts file to DVD to make it playable?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tomreedtoon

How to burn video_ts file to DVD to make it playable?

Post by tomreedtoon »

I have many files of DVD's I've authored from Windows systems. A lot of these are the two files generated on DVD's - video_ts and audio_ts. Back in my Windows days, a burn program like Nero allowed you to burn these files to a disk to make a standard playable DVD. But of all the burning applications I have on my Linux Mint system, none of them accept the video_ts or audio_ts files. And I know simply copying those to a DVD disk does not make a playable disk: it is in some kind of strange file format.

For the record, I have tried Brasero, DevedeNG, DVD Styler, K3b and Xfburn. And I also know you must have both the video_ts and audio_ts folders present on the disk, even if the audio_ts folder is empty. Have you got an app in Linux that will burn it? (I promise in future productions I'll just create .iso files for the completed DVD's.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Re: How to burn video_ts file to DVD to make it playable?

Post by rossdv8 »

You could check one of the Youtube videos on how to use K3b or Brasero.
You might even find devede easier to understand. Itis in the Mint repo.

Here's a link to YouTube videos on how to use it:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=devede

There are lots of other options in Linux (and Windows). All of them work. All need a little learning.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
tomreedtoon

Post by tomreedtoon »

On K3B, I dragged the ViDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders into the file window and burned the disk. The error I got when trying to play the finished disk was:

Playback failure:
DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/sr0".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/sr0'. Check the log for details.

VLC Cannot Play a Non-UDF Mastered DVD

So, K3B can't burn a disk in UDF format.

DevedNG wouldn't accept the two folders in its file window.

So, does someone know how to burn a DVD disk of these folders and do it in UDF format, so it's compatible with DVD players?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

have you installed udftools package as well as
the K3b recommended packages?
Check if these packages are present using Synaptic
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

tomreedtoon

Post by tomreedtoon »

That is interesting information, but that's not what I'm seeking to do. I don't want to convert the VIDEO_TS file to MPEG. Because then I'd have to re-author the file with something in Linux, add new menus and everything else. The VIDEO_TS was already authored. I simply want to burn the VIDEO_TS file to a DVD disk, using some kind of burner program that is smart enough to use the UDF format, so it can be played by a normal standard DVD player. This should not be hard. My old Windows laptop has several programs that can do that. I find it hard to believe that no one has created something like ImgBurn or DVD Flick or Nero (Windows only). I may have to drag out the lappie and do it there.
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech »

Not sure if this is exactly what your looking for or not, but it is a way to burn them.

https://ubuntugenius.wordpress.com/2010 ... -with-k3b/
opjose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by opjose »

If the VIDEO_TS file folder contains unencrypted "authored" files (e.g. includes the .vob, .ifo, etc. files), then all you have to do is to write the FOLDER out to a closed single session UDF disc, and DVD players will recognize the disc and the video contents.

K3B and other writers handle this just fine. I've used K3B to do this same task.

Return to “Beginner Questions”