(solved) NTFS or Fat32 for data drive?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Matumi
Level 1
Level 1

(solved) NTFS or Fat32 for data drive?

Post by Matumi »

I want to put my data on an second internal SSD, which I want to access from Linux Mint 20.1 and also access from Windows.

Should I rather format it to NTFS or to FAT32?

The drive is still empty at the Moment, so I definitely have the choice.

When reading about the topic on the Net, I keep reading that Linux does not fully support NTFS and might cause issues
and I also keep reading the opposite - that reading and writing to NTFS with Linux Mint is perfectly possible.

Which of those is more true?
Which of those is maybe outdated?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LanceM

Re: NTFS or Fat32 for data drive?

Post by LanceM »

I use exFAT because it's faster.
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 1000 »

Two sentences are true.

Linux use NTFS-3G driver, because is open source.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS-3G

MS use own NTFS driver. It is their property.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS

Now NTFS-3G works and worked before, more or less,
You can read "Limitations" section.
https://jp-andre.pagesperso-orange.fr/p ... imitations
But no one knows what will happen if MS makes newer NTFS.

Read about NTFS , FAT32 , exFAT
You pay attention to the limitations.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

With fat32 the maximum file size is 4GB - 1 byte.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

No theory, only a decade of experience dual booting. Have always kept document and media files on the Windows partition and formatted thumb drives as NTFS in Windows, and have never had any difficulty mounting and accessing those from Mint / Ubuntu. The only recognition or corruption trouble I've ever had has been with FAT formatted thumb drives or camera cards. One caution may be to use Windows to do the NTFS drive formatting - I've occasionally had recognition failure in Win 7 with thumb drives I tried to format as NTFS from Linux.
Last edited by I2k4 on Sat May 29, 2021 6:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

The other advantage of exFAT is that it can be 'read' in iOS, Windows AND Linux.
It's not available to partition in Gparted but it is in Discs.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920Q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Win7 Starter-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) [and a few others]
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

A camera needs exFAT. Windows and Linux do not. Use the superior NTFS.

If you line up file systems, NTFS is better than the old Linux Ext3 but not as good as Ext4. exFAT does not have any of the good features of NTFS or Ext4, no journaling or similar protection.

Copying from exFAT and NTFS to Ext4 works because Ext4 accepts every character and file name. Copying from Ext4 to exFAT or NTFS is equally bad as they both have the same fine name limitations.

Dual boot with NTFS sharing has worked 100% for many years until a recent version of Windows when Windows added some shutdown flag. If you start Windows then boot to Linux without shutting down Windows, an NTFS partition can be marked as read only or unreadable. Just reboot to Windows and shut down properly.

On the Linux side, the big danger is USB attached disks. It does not matter what format you use, Linux can delay the disk writes until after you unplug the disk, causing data loss. For this reason, you use a proper shutdown with Linux, exactly the same as Windows.

Thousands of dual booters use NTFS for shared data without problems so long as they shutdown properly. If you create a file in Windows, you never have problems with the file name limitation. A file creation in Linux might reject your file name because of NTFS limitations.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Naiive question to Petermint,
If I want to transfer some music (usually mp3) from my Mint to a friend's iOS, it seems that exFAT on a USB drive is the only one that works on both. Isn't that correct?
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920Q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Win7 Starter-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) [and a few others]
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

I think others have things pretty much covered, but ill add a small comment about NTFS... while it(read/write) works on Linux, file transfers are noticeably slower vs if your using EXT4 which gives you the full speed your hard drive is capable of (NOTE: EXT4 seems to be Linux equivalent to how Windows is with NTFS as it's main file system). so in this regard opting for something else might not be a bad idea. but at the same time since you have to have Windows read/write access that pretty much excludes EXT4 and exFAT etc might be a decent alternative. but then again, if your not too concerned with transfer speeds (especially if you don't do large transfers all that often), then NTFS still might be your all-around best bet since while it's slower on Linux than EXT4 is, it's not a huge gap.

but I think that for the most part if your storing files on SSD or HDD, NTFS or EXT4 is your best choice and since you must have Windows support, well then you obviously got to use NTFS. if it was a USB thumb drive than exFAT etc would probably be a good choice.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Matumi don't forget to disable fast startup in Windows 10.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1045548/

If you don't then you will find Linux unable to manipulate your data..
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

Matumi wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:11 am I want to put my data on an second internal SSD, which I want to access from Linux Mint 20.1 and also access from Windows.
Should I rather format it to NTFS or to FAT32?
By "data" I mean your personal files (texts, spreadsheets, music, movies, photos, presentations, projects, some program installation files (deb, exe, msi, ....)).

Ntfs is a more modern file system with more functionality than fat32 (fat 32 LBA, of course, we are not going to use fat32 not LBA).

If you use Windows XP or later, ntfs is a good option.
But remember that the Linux fsck checker, so far, cannot check, let alone fix errors in the ntfs file system.
The Linux ntfsfix checker corrects some errors, but not all.
It is recommended to have Windows chkdsk and, consequently, to have Windows.

Fat32 LBA is compatible with almost any operating system since Windows 95 OSR2,5 (Win 95 C).
In Windows XP and later Microsoft placed a limit, I think, of 32 GB for formatting Fat32 volumes. If the volume already exists, there is no problem with reading and writing, only with formatting. This limitation did not exist in Win 95 C.
Any verifier, chkdsk or even the old scandisk and ndd (for DOS 32 bits and Windows) or Linux fsck support FAT32 LBA (verification and correction).
The problem is the maximum file size (4 GB).

The problem with Exfat is the large cluster size (128 KB) in volumes larger than 32 GB (which is common today).
It is not a good option for storing many small files.
For example, a small file of 2KB in size will occupy 128 KB of disk space just for it.
Linux fsck, so far, only checks for errors on exfat volumes but does not correct them.
Matumi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Matumi »

Tanks to everyone for all the advice and info and reports of experience!

I am going to use NTFS.

@l2k4:
This was a helpful adivce:
One caution may be to use Windows to do the NTFS drive formatting
@petermint:

Thanks for the info about shutting down properly and about filename limitations!

@ RIH: Yes, I did disable fast startup in Win 10. Anyway, thanks for the advice!

Return to “Beginner Questions”