Windows 7 Install on Dual Boot Machine

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lorenberg

Windows 7 Install on Dual Boot Machine

Post by lorenberg »

I made a newbie mistake. I did not take the necessary steps to insure that the dual boot worked. I installed Windows 7 on a dual boot XP Linux/Mint machine, only in the Windows partition, but now do not get the boot option. Is this something that I can fix with by running the Linux Mint install again or is there something else that I must do.

Thanks!!

Loren Berg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kwisher

Re: Windows 7 Install on Dual Boot Machine

Post by kwisher »

I have not personally had to do this yet but I saved the link for this post just in case.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=19208

Hope this helps.
marvinudy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by marvinudy »

lorenberg,

I just did a triple install with xp, 7.0 and Mint on a two drive setup. Xp on drive 1 with single partition; 7.o and Mint on drive2 with dual partitions plus a swap.. I installed Mint last and had it put the grub boot loader in the MBR of drive 1.

You might be able to reinstall grub using the grub utilities. Do a google serch for "how to repair your grub". I've used the directions for several "Fixes" when I messed up.

Best regards,

marvinudy
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

lorenberg wrote:I installed Windows 7 on a dual boot XP Linux/Mint machine, only in the Windows partition, but now do not get the boot option.
Maybe I'm reading too much into that sentence but do you mean that you used mint4win ( install within Windows ) to install Mint into a WinXP partition? When you booted you had the option of booting WinXP or Mint. Then you installed Win7 and now all you're offered is Win7 and "Earlier Version of Windows". Do I have that right?

I know absolutely nothing about mint4win so I don't think I can help you with this but I do have a question. If you select "Earlier Version of Windows" do you then have the option of WinXP and Mint, or does it go directly to WinXP?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”