New with Question on Dual Boot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crazyboz
Level 1
Level 1

New with Question on Dual Boot

Post by crazyboz »

Hi all im primarily a windows 10 user and gamer and have dabbled slightly with windows mint my current question is about dual booting....mainly sizing

im considering this for my laptop :dual booting windows 10 and linux mint 20 im getting a ssd soon for my laptop and will clone windows to the ssd and setup my hdd with a install of linux mint 20 on it partitioned so i can have my windows stuff in a partition and another partition for linux mint its a 1 tb ssd and a 1tb hd - My Question

when i partition my hdd for linux mint reducing windows size or iff i put both os on the ssd 20gb is min but what would be a max fir video editor image editor video recorder audio recorder and some games 200 gb? no idea how much to allocate and to where so i dont sell myself short oh my ram is 16gb

thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Re: New with Question on Dual Boot

Post by manyroads »

Here's a tutorial... you'll probably find a couple hundred more using google if you don't find this one to your liking..

https://www.linuxtechi.com/dual-boot-li ... indows-10/
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
SwayWM, i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

With a 1TB ssd I would put both win and mint on the ssd - to get the speed advantage in mint. 20GB is less than the size of my / partition* - not enough. I run mint off a 240GB ssd, with a / partition of 30GB and the rest of the drive for /home. /home is where all your data and config files live, it can either be a separate partition or just another folder in the / partition. Personally I'd go for a 50/50 split between the two OS.

Linux can read/write ntfs partitions (win can't read linux partitions) so you can share data between the two OSes, you could re-purpose the 1TB hdd as a data drive (or use it for backup).

In the majority of use cases with 16GB RAM you will hardly ever need to use swap.

* where the system and all your programs live - linux programs are not as space hungry as win.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
crazyboz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crazyboz »

hey i forgot to mention i do have a 1tb hdd in my laptop for win data and games so the ssd would be for the two os systems i was going to put them both on the ssd but not sure the size for the linux partition or if im better off when i clone and move windows off the hdd make that partition for any linux data that doesnt share well and a seperate folder for both shares...?
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Personally I would suggest that you consider using VirtualBox in Windows & mounting Mint as a guest in that.
As you have 16GB RAM, resources should not be an issue.
You will not have to worry about partitioning & also eliminate the possibility of Windows updates destroying the dual boot set up.

I would suggest that you create quite a large (100 GB at least) virtual drive for the guest though.
As long as you make it dynamic Mint will only use what it needs.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

If you are looking at replacing Windows applications with open source, you can start that in Windows. MS Office -> LibreOffice, email -> Thunderbird, etc. They can have all their data on a shared NTFS partition. I used that setup for documentation when switching between projects on Windows and Linux.

Linux has superb flexibility with file systems. You can divide up your data directories into frequently used on SSD and less used on hard disk. You use links and you might edit /etc/fstab.

On my big machine, I keep the system, /, on a separate partition to my home directory, /home/, with both on an SSD for speed. My one big data directory, Pictures, is on a hard disk as the directory is huge. The choice was to use a big rotating rust disk or sell a kidney to buy an SSD of the same size. :x
crazyboz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crazyboz »

i tried virtualization but not a fan as the host pc is still windows its loading resources that it wont use and hogs everything, eventually once i setup my games i might go fully linux but for now toying with the idea of even getting a 2tb ssd and partitioning 1 tb for windows and 1 tb for linux and then using the 1tb hhd for data and storage for both possibly if possibe
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Leave win on old 1 TB SSD. New 2 TB for Linux + data partitions. Old 1tb rust disk for backup. :idea:
crazyboz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crazyboz »

Petermint wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:15 pm Leave win on old 1 TB SSD. New 2 TB for Linux + data partitions. Old 1tb rust disk for backup. :idea:
petermint how would i set up that dualboot?
i.e drive c hdd 1tb is windows boot and files and ssd linux mint (1tb) o am i better off using virtualization and putting linux mint etc on ssd drive but i dont want the windows part of the pc to consume any resources only what i use on linux

if i use a 1 tb ssd for linux how do i setup dual boot and how much should i allocate for linuxwhole thing or should i leave a little extra like for windows backup just so i have one in two drives in case of a failure
Last edited by crazyboz on Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazyboz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by crazyboz »

crazyboz wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:11 pm
Petermint wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:15 pm Leave win on old 1 TB SSD. New 2 TB for Linux + data partitions. Old 1tb rust disk for backup. :idea:
petermint how would i set up that dualboot?
i.e drive c hdd 1tb is windows boot and files and ssd linux mint (1tb) o am i better off using virtualization and putting linux mint etc on ssd drive but i dont want the windows part of the pc to consume any resources only what i use on linux

if i use a 1 tb ssd for linux how do i setup dual boot and how much should i allocate for linux whole thing or should i leave a little extra like for windows backup just so i have one in two drives in case of a failure for myself i still not sure cheaper to buy a 1tb ssd right now for me than a 2tb
getting back to my question
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Ajmal's question is now here. Please do not hijack other people's topic, and when this is pointed out, don't double down on it. It's quite rude. Thank you!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Ajmal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ajmal »

I am sorry , i am not only new linux , i am also new to this forum . i have not been in any online forums before and i have never been in such a situation. i regret if my actions were imbecile. :roll:

Return to “Beginner Questions”