Help recover encrypted home directory? HDD using a new machine

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fumblingwisdom
Level 1
Level 1

Help recover encrypted home directory? HDD using a new machine

Post by Fumblingwisdom »

I had Linux Mint 19.1 installed on a SSD that became corrupt and I could no longer access the 2nd HDD that was installed on that machine as well. This is where I had "media/payne" mounted. Its full of baby pictures and other valuable data and was apparently encyprted? since I can't access it

I have since installed Mint 19.1 on a new HDD, using the exact same username and password. The encrypted HDD is also connected. However the only things inside the HDD when i explore it are...
pishrink.sh
payne (folder)

Inside the folder are are:
README.txt
Access-Your-Private-Data.desktop
The Read me says:
THIS DIRECTORY HAS BEEN UNMOUNTED TO PROTECT YOUR DATA

From the graphical desktop, click on:
"Access Your Private Data"

or

From the common line, run:
ecrypts-mount-private
Nothing happens when I click on Access your private data, and when i run the ecyprts command it says mount point isn't set up. I have the original password from this HDD, Please! can someone help me access this sensitive data somehow. Surely it can't be lost forever ?!?

Thanks for any and all replies in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Help recover encrypted home directory? HDD using a new machine

Post by deepakdeshp »

See if this helps.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=315207
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

I have some encrypted USB sticks (ext4). When I plug them in after the system has booted and the desktop is ready, a login window appears asking me to enter the password.
And then the stick presents itself on the desktop - ready to read, write and delete.
Maybe your HDD would be more accessible in an external USB case?
Fumblingwisdom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fumblingwisdom »

absque fenestris wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:31 am I have some encrypted USB sticks (ext4). When I plug them in after the system has booted and the desktop is ready, a login window appears asking me to enter the password.
And then the stick presents itself on the desktop - ready to read, write and delete.
Maybe your HDD would be more accessible in an external USB case?
Interesting, if you think that would work I'll see if I can find a way to give it a try
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Fumblingwisdom wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:20 am ...
Interesting, if you think that would work I'll see if I can find a way to give it a try
Compared to other advice on how to get an encrypted HD, mine is extremely easy to implement.
Of course I can't offer a 100% guarantee, but it would be a very nerve-saving attempt ...

Return to “Beginner Questions”