Windows moving between monitors when screensaver activates

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tolstyj
Level 1
Level 1

Windows moving between monitors when screensaver activates

Post by Tolstyj »

I have 2 monitors 24" HP and 23" Dell. HP set as primary monitor, and Dell as secondary on the right.
If I leave any window open on primary monitor (HP) and screen saver has been activated, then after coming back that window moves to the secondary monitor (Dell). Windows, that were on the secondary monitor stays there. Is it a glitch and how can I fix it?
Also, monitors never turns off, even in power options selected "Turn off the screen when inactive for 15 min"/

Both monitors have the same resolution (1920x1080), HP connected via HDMI, and Dell via DVI outputs to AMD Radeon RX 550 graphic card.
System Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon with 5.4.0-74-generic kernel.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Windows moving between monitors when screensaver activates

Post by SMG »

Tolstyj wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:37 pm I have 2 monitors 24" HP and 23" Dell. HP set as primary monitor, and Dell as secondary on the right.
If I leave any window open on primary monitor (HP) and screen saver has been activated, then after coming back that window moves to the secondary monitor (Dell). Windows, that were on the secondary monitor stays there. Is it a glitch and how can I fix it?
Is the screensaver activating at the same time for both monitors?

What this sounds like to me (a guess on my part) is your secondary monitor is coming back to life before the primary. Because Mint does not see the primary when the secondary activates, the secondary becomes the primary which is why the windows move.
Tolstyj wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:37 pmAlso, monitors never turns off, even in power options selected "Turn off the screen when inactive for 15 min"/
You want the monitor to power off or you just want the screen to turn off?

Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware. It's possible this might be related to your graphics driver, but AMD graphics also depends on the kernel so it's best to just provide all the normal info.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Tolstyj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tolstyj »

SMG wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:49 pm Is the screensaver activating at the same time for both monitors?

What this sounds like to me (a guess on my part) is your secondary monitor is coming back to life before the primary. Because Mint does not see the primary when the secondary activates, the secondary becomes the primary which is why the windows move.
It looks like at the same time. I did not make any special changes, just selected "5 min" in the screensaver settings. I do not see any options how to activate screensaver separately for each monitor.
SMG wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:49 pmYou want the monitor to power off or you just want the screen to turn off?
Screens to turn off. Right now screensaver runs indefinitely and screens never turns off.
SMG wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:49 pm Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware. It's possible this might be related to your graphics driver, but AMD graphics also depends on the kernel so it's best to just provide all the normal info.
Here it is.

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxrz
System:
  Kernel: 5.4.0-74-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 wm: muffin 4.8.1 dm: LightDM 1.30.0 
  Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: BIOSTAR product: A960D+ v: N/A serial: <filter> 
  Chassis: type: 3 serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: BIOSTAR model: A960D+ serial: <filter> BIOS: American Megatrends 
  v: 080015 date: 01/15/2013 
Battery:
  Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech K520 serial: <filter> 
  charge: 70% (should be ignored) rechargeable: yes status: Discharging 
  Device-2: hidpp_battery_1 model: Logitech M310 serial: <filter> 
  charge: 55% (should be ignored) rechargeable: yes status: Discharging 
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: AMD Phenom II X4 955 bits: 64 type: MCP 
  arch: K10 rev: 2 L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm bogomips: 25599 
  Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/3200 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 800 2: 800 
  3: 800 4: 800 
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Baffin [Radeon RX 550 640SP / RX 560/560X] vendor: XFX Pine 
  driver: amdgpu v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 1002:67ff 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: amdgpu,ati 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa 
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Radeon RX 550 Series (POLARIS11 DRM 3.35.0 
  5.4.0-74-generic LLVM 11.0.0) 
  v: 4.6 Mesa 20.2.6 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: AMD SBx00 Azalia vendor: Biostar Microtech Intl Corp 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:14.2 chip ID: 1002:4383 
  Device-2: AMD Baffin HDMI/DP Audio [Radeon RX 550 640SP / RX 560/560X] 
  vendor: XFX Pine driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1 
  chip ID: 1002:aae0 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-74-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: Biostar Microtech Intl Corp driver: r8169 v: kernel port: e800 
  bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8168 
  IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.82 TiB used: 294.65 GiB (15.8%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: HD502HJ size: 465.76 GiB 
  speed: 3.0 Gb/s rotation: 7200 rpm serial: <filter> rev: 00E4 scheme: MBR 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Hitachi model: HDT721010SLA360 size: 931.51 GiB 
  speed: 3.0 Gb/s rotation: 7200 rpm serial: <filter> rev: A31B scheme: MBR 
  ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Samsung model: SSD 860 EVO 500GB size: 465.76 GiB 
  speed: 3.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> rev: 3B6Q scheme: MBR 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 65.21 GiB used: 12.38 GiB (19.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdc2 
  ID-2: /home size: 372.97 GiB used: 77.63 GiB (20.8%) fs: ext4 
  dev: /dev/sdc3 
  ID-3: swap-1 size: 19.07 GiB used: 181.8 MiB (0.9%) fs: swap 
  dev: /dev/sdc1 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 43.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 71 C 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: amdgpu fan: 0 
Repos:
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/additional-repositories.list 
  1: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/linuxuprising/apps/ubuntu bionic main
  2: deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
  3: deb [arch=amd64,i386] https://repo.steampowered.com/steam/ stable steam
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
  1: deb http://packages.linuxmint.com ulyssa main upstream import backport #id:linuxmint_main
  2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
  3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
  4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
  5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
  6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/skype-stable.list 
  1: deb [arch=amd64] https://repo.skype.com/deb stable main
Info:
  Processes: 246 Uptime: 7d 33m Memory: 7.77 GiB used: 2.80 GiB (36.1%) 
  Init: systemd v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 alt: 7/9 
  Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 running in: gnome-terminal inxi: 3.0.38
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Tolstyj wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:12 pmIt looks like at the same time. I did not make any special changes, just selected "5 min" in the screensaver settings. I do not see any options how to activate screensaver separately for each monitor.
I did not mean that you might have done anything for one to activate faster than the other. When you are using two different models of monitors, it is possible the electronics of each are such that one can be fully activated before the other reaches that stage and Mint may be able to sense that happening. That is what I meant by my comment.
Tolstyj wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:12 pmScreens to turn off. Right now screensaver runs indefinitely and screens never turns off.
What happens if you disable the screensavers? Does it seem to work properly if you do that?

There was an issue with a past kernel (5.4.0-66) where screens were not resuming from sleep (Recent update prevents resume from screen blanking. LM 20.1 [two workarounds found]). I do not know if perhaps that was fixed and now the reverse is happening? Just a theory we might investigate if disabling the screensaver does not clear the issue.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Beginner Questions”