Xfburn and md5 iso of burned disk

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FringeExplorer
Level 1
Level 1

Xfburn and md5 iso of burned disk

Post by FringeExplorer »

On windows xp I was burning disks with Imgburn. In order to check the burned disk I was extracting the iso of the burned disk and compare its md5 with the md5 of the original iso. It was always the same. Now with Xfburn it's always different. I searched and I realized that this is happening because of a different burn method. Xfburn "pads" the burned data so md5 cannot be the same. When I burn live linux isos I can check-validate the disk with the option of the boot menu. In other cases how can I validate the burned dvd?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Xfburn and md5 iso of burned disk

Post by ThaCrip »

If your just burning some basic data, the following should work as it's a basic example and you have to adjust to whatever your system is setup as...

Code: Select all

diff -rq "/media/USER/DVDLabelName/" "/home/USER/FolderOfDataYouWantToCheck/"
NOTE: in this example the first section between the quotes is the location of the DVD drive. the second section between the quotes is the location of the folder on your hard drive that has the data you want to compare to the DVD drive. small note: the " in the command shown might not always be needed but it helps ensure it will work in case there are any spaces or any weird symbols there that otherwise might have that diff command error and not start the scanning process. so basically use the quote marks.

basically you need it so the file/directory structure is the same on both. but assuming the data in the folder your checking is exactly the same as the DVD you burned, if it's successful it will check the files and once done it will just go back to the prompt with no message (which is what you want to see). if you see something shown I think that means the data is not identical (or there might be additional files like if you have more files in one of those two sources but not on both I think that will turn up to). that's why whatever you burnt to the DVD I would make a temporary folder and copy/paste that data from your hard drive to that folder as this way when it scans it will be the same as the data burned on DVD.

in fact, I was playing around with some data I burned on a DVD a moment ago and transferred the data from the DVD to a temporary folder on one of my hard drives and ran that test and it worked as I thought. then just to make sure it would detect any flaws I took a small file, which happened to be a text file, and then opened it, typed in "1" and saved it. then re-ran the test and it detected the change as it said "differ" on the file I changed which was expected. hence, the diff command is working as it should. so basically if your file/directory structure is the same on the DVD and the folder your running the scan on, it will complete the test with no message and go back to the prompt which means the data is identical on the hard drive and burned DVD. if anything does not match up it will show you specifically which files do not match. or another example... say you burned 50 files on the DVD and those same 50 files are in the folder your scanning on the hard drive but that folder on the hard drive has a few more files that you did not burn to DVD, those files will be reported after the scan is done with a message like "Only in /media/HDD1/Folder/: FileName.txt". but basically to keep things nice and simple... however the directory structure is, it needs to be the same way on the other (i.e. between DVD drive and Folder location on hard drive) so it will scan properly as if you do this and run the scan, which takes as much time as it needs to read the DVD data (call it 10min or so), it will just go back to prompt without any message which means the data you burned to the DVD is identical to what's on the hard drive.

one last thing... it should be easy to check the basic data of a ISO to in this manner since you can right click a ISO on Mint, select 'Open With Disc Image Mounter', which then mounts the ISO like it's a connected drive. when done right click and select 'unmount'. but what I said above is more of a data integrity check between two different locations.

p.s. on Linux Mint v19.x I was using IMGBurn through Wine (you have to use WinXP as 'Windows Version' in Wine though otherwise IMGBurn won't work as I think Wine defaults to Win7 (or maybe it was Win10)) and it worked well. but on Mint v20.x I could never get IMGBurn to see my DVD drives. but Xfburn is what I use on Mint v20.x as it works well enough for ISO and general data/audio CD burning. for the record... Microsoft ended support of WinXP in April 2014, so it's not a good idea to use that online as a general rule since it no longer receives security updates.

EDIT (Jan 29th 2022): I just figured out how to get IMGBurn working on Linux Mint v20.3-Xfce. see my post here... viewtopic.php?p=2131425#p2131425
Last edited by ThaCrip on Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
scdbackup
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scdbackup »

Hi,

it is not only the padding by the burn program (which is actually only
needed for CDs written by write type Track-At-Once). Most DVD and BD
get padded up to a full 32 KiB or 64 KiB chunk by the drive.
Only CDs written by write type SAO and DVD-R[W] written by type DAO
end exactly where the data ends (if the burn program adds no own padding).

With all other optical media you have to curb the extracted size to the
size of the ISO image.

The Debian FAQ about installation ISOs
https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#verify
proposes

$ /sbin/isosize -x <device>
sector count: 25600, sector size: 2048
$ dd if=<device> count=<sector count> bs=<sector size> | sha512sum
where "<device>" is something like "/dev/sr0".

Since you still have the ISO image as file, you may omit the "isosize"
step and rather divide the file size (from ls -l) by 2048 and use that
as sector count. Further you want MD5 instead of SHA512. So you need to
pipe the data into program md5sum.

With image debian-10.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso on a CD in drive /dev/sr0
this would be

dd if=/dev/sr0 count=178688 bs=2048 | md5sum
Have a nice day :)

Thomas
FringeExplorer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FringeExplorer »

With imgburn no matter the disk type cdr, dvd+r, dvd-r the extracted iso is always of the same size and with the same md5.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

FringeExplorer wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:15 pm With imgburn no matter the disk type cdr, dvd+r, dvd-r the extracted iso is always of the same size and with the same md5.
In short... the following will give you exactly what you want in that quote using Linux instead of IMGBurn as I confirmed it myself. but to get on with the longer answer...

what 'scdbackup' mentioned works as I confirmed it myself as for a test I burned a small bootable ISO (dban-2.3.0_i586.iso) to CD-RW with Xfburn (i.e. load Xfburn and on main menu select "Burn Image" (I used the default settings to burn)) and after it was done you basically do...

isosize -x /dev/sr0

dd if=/dev/sr0 count=8164 bs=2048 | md5sum
NOTE: you have to adjust the '8164' (which is listed first as 'sector count') and '2048' (which is listed second as 'sector size') numbers to whatever yours says from the initial isosize command. this is important!!!
NOTE: you can swap out that 'md5sum' section above with 'sha256sum' etc if you want to. but it does not really matter as either one will work.

but basically doing that you will see the MD5 output matches that of the original ISO file you used to burn to the CD/DVD in the first place which should pretty much confirm the burn is 100% working.

p.s. you can use 'lsblk' to see where the location if your CD/DVD drive is.

===========================================================================
===========================================================================

with all of that said I was playing with something I found online which even allows you to make a ISO from the burned DVD itself which will be identical to the original ISO you used to burn that CD/DVD in the first place...

isoinfo -x /dev/sr0

dd if=/dev/sr0 of=test.iso bs=8164 count=2048
NOTE: you have to adjust the '8164' and '2048' numbers accordingly to whatever the 'isoinfo' command showed.
NOTE: the "test.iso" will be located in your 'home' folder.
NOTE: with the CD/DVD in your DVD burner run the following command... 'lsblk' (without the ') as then you can see exactly where your CD/DVD drive is located at and adjust the above "/dev/sr0" location accordingly as it has to match whatever yours is.
NOTE: "/dev/sr0" needs to be the location of your CD/DVD drive. you can see the location by checking in terminal with 'lsblk' (that's LSBLK).

for even further proof the topic is SOLVED I even confirmed the 'test.iso' is bootable by burning that back to a CD-RW and attempting to boot from it on a backup computer I got a moment ago and it worked. because what the OP was originally doing with IMGBurn, we now have showed him a Linux alternative which I personally confirmed works. it's not as fast/easy as IMGBurn, but it does work ;)
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
scdbackup
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scdbackup »

Hi,

i am riddling about the statement that imgburn does not pad up DVD+R to
full 32 KiB. The specs (SCSI MMC-5, 4.3.6.2.1.2, "Fragments" and
4.3.6.2.1.3 "Sessions") say that a Session consists of Fragments and
that Fragments consist of ECC-Blocks which are of 32 KiB size.

Well, libburn does not try whether a fraction of an ECC block can be
registered as session size. With pseudo-SAO it uses RESERVE TRACK with
a block count that is rounded up to an integer multiple of 16.
With pseudo-TAO it is up to the drive to mark the end of the new Session.
Regrettably Xfburn has 300 KiB of end padding hardcoded:
https://sources.debian.org/src/xfburn/0 ... l=330#L330
has

burn_track_define_data (params->track, 0, 300*1024, 1, BURN_MODE1);
So with xfburn, you get oversized sessions on any medium type.
You could try a command line client of libburn:

xorriso -as cdrecord -v dev=/dev/sr0 -tao padsize=0 debian-10.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso
(with your drive address instead of "/dev/sr0" and your image file path
instead of "debian-10.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso".)

Thomas
FringeExplorer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FringeExplorer »

I tried this
isosize -x /dev/sr0

First of all this something not easy. There is no way to remember these commands and I don't like keeping notes that I must not forget to take with me. I work often on different machines with live usb, in many cases offline systems. lsblk makes it even more complicated.
Secondly it doesn't work. md5sums do not match.

I'm just a simple user. I don't want to study things. I spent time to get these and it doesn't work. Can you at least suggest gui solutions. I came to linux hoping for the "It just works out of the box and it's secure". But on the way...vega was not supported, an old nvidia was not supported and updates suck. Erroneous updates make the pc unbootable. I reformated and stopped updating like with xp and now this...
And this attitude
ThaCrip wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:39 am for even further proof the topic is SOLVED I even confirmed the 'test.iso' is bootable by burning that back to a CD-RW and attempting to boot from it on a backup computer I got a moment ago and it worked. because what the OP was originally doing with IMGBurn, we now have showed him a Linux alternative which I personally confirmed works. it's not as fast/easy as IMGBurn, but it does work ;)
"We now have showed him" like I don't hear/read these words and like I am some kind of enemy...
scdbackup
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scdbackup »

Hi,

i assume that 8164 is the wrong number to use.
You need to use the "sector count" number that is reported by the run of
program "isosize". (The "sector size" will always be 2048.)

> Can you at least suggest gui solutions.

I am not aware of any. Sorry.

The most GUI-ish way i can imagine is to write a script and to associate
it with an icon of the desktop. I can help with the script part.

The script would work with any GNU/Linux system, regardless of age or
desktop flavor.
Edit file "$HOME"/iso_md5 so that it bears exactly this:

#/bin/sh
count=$(/sbin/isosize -x "$1" | awk '{print $3}' | sed -e 's/,//')
dd if="$1" count="$count" bs=2048 | md5sum
After storing the file and leaving the editor, you need to make it executable:

chmod u+x "$HOME"/iso_md5
Now you can copy it to the same name on all your computers and run it there by
its file path and the device file of the optical drive:

"$HOME"/iso_md5 /dev/sr0
The last line of its text output will give the computed MD5 and a "-". Like

42c43392d108ed8957083843392c794b  -
Next would come the GUI part to create an icon which runs the script
in a useful way.
If the drive address is always /dev/sr0, then the icon would not need to
inquire the device file name from the user. (The first optical drive of a
Linux system is /dev/sr0, the second is /dev/sr1, and so on.)

The procedure to associate an icon with a script differs from desktop system
to desktop system. If i were you i would get the script workable and then
ask in a new thread how to associate it with an icon of the desktops which
run on your computers. Of course you will have to tell people what desktops
you are using (Gnome, KDE, XFCE, ...).

Being myself i would just settle with the script and run it in a shell
terminal whenever i need it. (I have a text file which lists all the
program runs which i need to perform from time to time, but too rarely
to keep them present in my mind. Maybe such a cheat-sheet file would
help you too.)

Thomas
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

ill make it as simple as I can for you FringeExplorer. run the following command (with your CD/DVD in the drive obviously) and tell me what it shows...

isosize -x /dev/sr0
you should see a output something similar to... "sector count: 8164, sector size: 2048". give me this information and I can tell you the EXACT command to type ;)

=================================================================
FringeExplorer wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:57 am First of all this something not easy. There is no way to remember these commands and I don't like keeping notes that I must not forget to take with me. I work often on different machines with live usb, in many cases offline systems. lsblk makes it even more complicated.
Yeah, I agree. remembering commands is not easy as anything I use, since I know I won't remember most of it, I tend to log in it a simple .txt file. so if I need it in the future, like if I format my PC and install Mint from scratch, I can read that txt file to get my configuration/software etc back to the way it was since there is no way ill remember most of it.

p.s. that's why it's impressive that some of those higher up Linux guys can remember even a small fraction of that command line stuff.
FringeExplorer wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:57 amI'm just a simple user. I don't want to study things. I spent time to get these and it doesn't work. Can you at least suggest gui solutions. I came to linux hoping for the "It just works out of the box and it's secure". But on the way...vega was not supported, an old nvidia was not supported and updates suck. Erroneous updates make the pc unbootable. I reformated and stopped updating like with xp
I get what you mean as you generally want simple, we all do, but with Linux that's often not the case as while Linux can be good if you do basic things at times, much beyond that is typically more complicated than Windows is in my experience. I have only been using Mint full-time since Jan 2019 even though I have been using computers in general (Windows) since 1995.

also, I get one wants a GUI as that's typically what we like. but it seems in Linux, the terminal is something people are going to have to use on some level at some point if they do much beyond very basic stuff.

with that said... Linux does work out of the box and is secure, but mainly if what your doing is basic stuff as much beyond that and there is a fair chance the average person might stumble into a issue simply because Linux does not have the volume of software that Windows has.

p.s. Microsoft has not supported WinXP with updates since April 2014. so it's generally a bad idea to use it online. even with Windows 7, that's not received security updates since Jan 2020 when Microsoft dropped support of it. basically if a person is using Windows, Win10 is pretty much what they should be using (although Win 8.1 I think is still supported a bit longer).
FringeExplorer wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:57 am"We now have showed him" like I don't hear/read these words and like I am some kind of enemy...
Ill be very clear... I did not mean any disrespect towards you in the slightest ;) ; because we are in the 'Beginner Questions' part of the forum. so anyone helping here, like myself and others, has to assume that many who ask questions has little knowledge (although hopefully someone has at least a basic level of computer knowledge(even though this won't always be the case)) and that we will probably have to spoon-feed people the answers (no offence here as when I am trying to figure something out I like people to spoon-feed me a bit to).

it just appeared that the topic was SOLVED given what you said in my previous quote to you as I simply confirmed that what scdbackup said worked etc. sure, it's not IMGBurn level easy, as it takes more time, but it works.

in fact, just from your topic here I have learned a bit about this stuff (so in a way I can thank you a bit) ;)

p.s. but that's the problem with words on a screen as people can take something negatively that was not meant to be a dis on them.
SuperJoker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SuperJoker »

I tried this too and it doesn't work. And I'm sure I used the correct sector count. Assuming wth such certainty that it does not work because of that it's kind of ridiculous. I guess that's why he never answered back. He asks for something he gets that "answer-solution", he tries it and you come back saying "You didn't do it right!"
I need to agree with FringeExplorer. This attitude is too much. He is not enemy. He asked if something can be as easy as on windows. This answer cannot be considered "solution" even if it was working. This is not at all as easy and simple as with imgburn. If someone who wants to try linux reads such "solutions" he will run back to windows.
Some things cannot be done on linux like many things cannot be done on windows. We must accept this. Luckily the need to burn disks today it's not as great as in the past and linux iso files have an integrated check.
For even further proof that this topic is not solved show your "solution" to 100 people and count at first how many will even try it and then from the ones who tried it how many will be successful and how many will keep on using this method.
Have a nice day.
FringeExplorer wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:57 am I tried this
isosize -x /dev/sr0

First of all this something not easy. There is no way to remember these commands and I don't like keeping notes that I must not forget to take with me. I work often on different machines with live usb, in many cases offline systems. lsblk makes it even more complicated.

I'm just a simple user. I don't want to study things. I spent time to get these and it doesn't work. Can you at least suggest gui solutions. I came to linux hoping for the "It just works out of the box and it's secure". But on the way...vega was not supported, an old nvidia was not supported and updates suck. Erroneous updates make the pc unbootable. I reformated and stopped updating like with xp and now this...
And this attitude
ThaCrip wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:39 am for even further proof the topic is SOLVED I even confirmed the 'test.iso' is bootable by burning that back to a CD-RW and attempting to boot from it on a backup computer I got a moment ago and it worked. because what the OP was originally doing with IMGBurn, we now have showed him a Linux alternative which I personally confirmed works. it's not as fast/easy as IMGBurn, but it does work ;)
[/quote
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

SuperJoker wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:40 am I tried this too and it doesn't work. And I'm sure I used the correct sector count. Assuming wth such certainty that it does not work because of that it's kind of ridiculous. I guess that's why he never answered back. He asks for something he gets that "answer-solution", he tries it and you come back saying "You didn't do it right!"
I need to agree with FringeExplorer. This attitude is too much. He is not enemy. He asked if something can be as easy as on windows. This answer cannot be considered "solution" even if it was working. This is not at all as easy and simple as with imgburn. If someone who wants to try linux reads such "solutions" he will run back to windows.
Some things cannot be done on linux like many things cannot be done on windows. We must accept this. Luckily the need to burn disks today it's not as great as in the past and linux iso files have an integrated check.
For even further proof that this topic is not solved show your "solution" to 100 people and count at first how many will even try it and then from the ones who tried it how many will be successful and how many will keep on using this method.
Have a nice day.
You just said it yourself, stuff on Linux, at least in some cases, simply is not as easy as it is on Windows. if someone has a easier method, go ahead and post it.

also, I never had any attitude at all. it's just something misperceived on your end (I was already crystal clear about this in my previous reply to FringeExplorer that I understand it's not easy etc etc and meant no disrespect towards him). I was just simply trying to help and was testing stuff directly. I used what scdbackup said and it worked perfect for me, which is why I said "for even further proof the topic is SOLVED" as I simply confirmed that what he posted which the test I did was inline with what the OP wanted to figure out. sure, it's not as easy as IMGBurn, but it worked.

either way, to make it even simpler... if someones burner is in good running order, chances are the data burned is fine straight up and playing the odds they won't even need to run these data integrity tests.
SuperJoker wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:40 amHe asks for something he gets that "answer-solution", he tries it and you come back saying "You didn't do it right!"
It's nothing personal, but sometimes people miss critical steps is all. we were just trying to make sure it was done right is all ;)

if you don't mind me asking... any chance you can post the exact steps you did?

Return to “Beginner Questions”