[SOLVED] awake from sleep mode hang bug

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jambono
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] awake from sleep mode hang bug

Post by jambono »

Hi all

I just installed Mint Cinnamon 20.1 from USB to an old laptop Intel T5600 core 2 duo Intel graphic on the dedicated HD to Mint only ...all work good Mint is fast but after 2/3 sleeping mode it hang .. I see that my HD working hard but nothing happens and after waiting a while I have to reboot

Yesterday I installed many Intel microcode and some other major update (from update Mint system) and rebooted but its the same after few sleep mode the system do not awake and hang ..

Any clue welcome !

PS: For now I reinstalled my W10 HD but I will give you the inxi output as soon I reboot with Mint
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: awake from sleep mode hang bug

Post by SMG »

jambono wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:19 amafter 2/3 sleeping mode it hang .. I see that my HD working hard but nothing happens and after waiting a while I have to reboot
What does two-thirds sleeping mode mean?
jambono wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:19 amPS: For now I reinstalled my W10 HD but I will give you the inxi output as soon I reboot with Mint
You can also boot to a live session of Mint with your installation usb/dvd and give us the inxi information from it.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
jambono
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jambono »

Hi
thanks for your time
inxi output :
https://termbin.com/bk20

I mean when I put mint in sleep mode it come back the first time but if I put it an other tme or two it do not hd drive work a day but nothing happens..

sorry for the delay to answer
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Your computer is an older one with not much memory. Do you have all the Cinnamon windows effects turned off? I would suggest doing that to lighten the load on the system. The fact it is working for the first time or two and then seems to have a problem may be because of the specs of your system. How long do you wait before pressing the power button?

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 5.4.0-74-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa 
  base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 0768DDU v: 3000 N100 serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: LENOVO model: CAPELL VALLEY(NAPA) CRB serial: <filter> BIOS: LENOVO 
  v: 61ET37WW date: 06/04/07 
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 T5600 bits: 64 type: MCP 
  arch: Core Merom rev: 6 L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 7315 
  Speed: 998 MHz min/max: 1000/1833 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 998 2: 998 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics 
  vendor: Lenovo driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: intel 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1280x800~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 945GM v: 1.4 Mesa 20.2.6 
  direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition Audio vendor: Lenovo 
  driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-74-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network driver: iwl3945 
  v: in-tree:s port: 18c0 bus ID: 03:00.0 
  IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Realtek RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter 
  vendor: Lenovo driver: 8139too v: 0.9.28 port: 2000 bus ID: 05:01.0 
  IF: enp5s1 state: down mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 465.76 GiB used: 29.61 GiB (6.4%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST9500420AS size: 465.76 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 456.95 GiB used: 29.61 GiB (6.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 51.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:
  No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
  1: deb http://mirrors.evowise.com/linuxmint/packages ulyssa main upstream import backport
  2: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
  3: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
  4: deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
  5: deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
  6: deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/team-xbmc-ppa-focal.list 
  1: deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu focal main
Info:
  Processes: 175 Uptime: 18m Memory: 2.91 GiB used: 1.35 GiB (46.4%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 
  inxi: 3.0.38 
Most people would probably recommend using MATE or Xfce given the specs of your computer (they are "lighter" desktops which do not require as much resources as Cinnamon), but I do not know if that would fix the problem with the subsequent suspends that do not work. It is an option you might want to consider.
jambono
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jambono »

Ok thanks I will check that all

In other hand I use this tweak to "Improve usage of the system memory" and this is may be the problem :

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... html#ID1.1

# Decrease swap usage to a more reasonable level vm.swappiness=20 ( 60 was default, I changed it for 20)

and this one : "increase zswap"

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="zswap.max_pool_percent=40" (here the default was 20 I think)

This is may be why my HD run insanely when awake from sleep mode ... I'm waiting may be 1 or 2 mn before to restart mint each time...

What do you think ?
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

I do not have experience with changing those options, so I do not know the impact they would have. Did you test the system before making the changes?

I would think everyone's experience with those options might be different because everyone uses their system differently. I would think you would have to test before and after making the change to know if it is making a difference.

Maybe someone with more experience making those changes can provide advice.
jambono
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jambono »

SMG wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:48 pm Your computer is an older one with not much memory. Do you have all the Cinnamon windows effects turned off? I would suggest doing that to lighten the load on the system. The fact it is working for the first time or two and then seems to have a problem may be because of the specs of your system.
It's very disappointing if what you say is proven because I have been hearing since 30 years that Microsoft Windows very badly manages the memory ...and today Linux would be worse (Windows 10 works very well on this device)... ?
Disappointing and annoying...
I'm remember now that it was the same before I try the swappiness and memory tweak from easylinuxproject...
Anyway I will check that all I'll come back to give the results
Thanks for your time
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

jambono wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:59 amIt's very disappointing if what you say is proven because I have been hearing since 30 years that Microsoft Windows very badly manages the memory ...and today Linux would be worse (Windows 10 works very well on this device)... ?
Disappointing and annoying...
I find it hard to believe Windows 10 "works very well" on a computer from 2007 with only 3GB of memory. I would guess we have a different definition of "works very well".

Using Linux with the Cinnamon desktop is a different experience from using Linux with the Xfce desktop. The issue with memory is how many processes are running in the background. That's an issue with any operating system including Windows. The Cinnamon default has more running than Xfce or MATE. The windows effects I suggested turning off are ones which I would describe (my opinion) as comparable to Windows aero affects -- eye candy that takes up resources, but does not add any functionality.

I don't recall hearing that Microsoft Windows "very badly manages the memory". My opinion is it has a lot of unnecessary program running which impact performance. That is a different issue than how memory is managed.
jambono
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jambono »

I do not want to start from controversy but like I said I use W10 with this old device and I have no problem at all... Hibernation mode or sleep mode work good and all is fine. I can not say the same about Mint for now. I get some freeze and sleep mode get me in trouble...

As you advised me I try mate and I try to switch from cinnamon to mate but unsuccessfully for now. I installed the package mint-meta-mate and rebooted but I do not have any desktop choice in upper right and I do not see anywhere to switch to Mate... I google since this morning with my smartphone and the only thing I get is eyes ache !

Any help about switching from cinnamon to mate welcome
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

jambono wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:37 pmAs you advised me I try mate and I try to switch from cinnamon to mate but unsuccessfully for now.
I advised you to turn off the Cinnamon windows effects. I also advised trying Linux Mint MATE or Xfce which one would test by using the appropriate ISO for each of those.

I did not advise adding a second desktop to your install because I do not have experience helping people do that, and it's my understanding that doing that can sometimes cause interference issues.
jambono wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:37 pmAny help about switching from cinnamon to mate welcome
My suggestion is to burn a new usb with the Linux Mint MATE ISO and test it.

I am not able to help with other methods of "switching", but maybe someone else can help you.
jambono
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jambono »

SMG wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:56 pmMy suggestion is to burn a new usb with the Linux Mint MATE ISO and test it.
Waaoooooooohhhhh lol

You do not help me very much since the beginning... you doubt about what I say of W10 ...now you advise me to full install an other Mint Mate ISO......

I thank you very much but no I just want to repair the car, not to change it

I will open a new thread about this. I understand that you do not have any experience about this issue or switching desktop we just have to let people answer the thread
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

SMG has given you sound advice, cinnamon is the most resource hungry of the linux mint DEs and your laptop has neither a powerful enough CPU or enough memory to run cinnamon well.

I assume you are using the default swap file (I think the default size is 2GB), it isn't big enough. I would create a swap partition of 4GB.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
jambono
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jambono »

I'm not sure that SMG has given me sound advice because all other desktop are already installed by default in Mint and we just have to choose it at boot... but I can't see them because my old laptop pad mouse are badly recognized so when I clicked on the logon I do not see the desktop choice because my laptop pad click are not recognized..... "#$%?&*(

I just have to plug a standard USB mouse and then all the desktop menus choices are there ... MATE too ... !!!

I can choose and run MATE

I don't understand very well why this issue is still there not fixed in Mint 20xx

Thanks for the swap file tweak I will look around if my problem is still there with MATE
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

jambono wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:28 am I'm not sure that SMG has given me sound advice because all other desktop are already installed by default in Mint and we just have to choose it at boot...
You told us earlier in this thread that you installed the MATE desktop files.
jambono wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:37 pm I installed the package mint-meta-mate
Why did you do that if they were "installed by default in Mint and we just have to choose it at boot"?

And why would the Mint developers go through the extra work to create three different ISOs, one for each desktop, if all the files are included in Cinnamon? That seems like a lot of extra work if all one has to do is choose the desired desktop at boot.

There website pages which explain how to add a different desktop to Mint Cinnamon and change to it, yet none of them indicate the other desktops are installed by default and one just has to choose the desired one at boot. In fact, they all indicate one has to install additional files in order to be able to switch to a different desktop. Just like you installed additional files.

I notice you marked the thread [SOLVED]. People come to solved threads for solutions. What solution did you find that fixes the "awake from sleep mode hang bug"?
jambono
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jambono »

SMG wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:08 pm You told us earlier in this thread that you installed the MATE desktop files.
was already installed (like Cinnamon Gnome Flashback from Metacity LXDE and OpenBox) but I did not know ... so in fact I just re-installed this DE
SMG wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:08 pm Why did you do that if they were "installed by default in Mint and we just have to choose it at boot"?
If you read my previous answer to Andymh you will see that this answers your questions. (I did not saw choice with my laptop pad mouse not recognized ...)
SMG wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:08 pm And why would the Mint developers go through the extra work to create three different ISOs, one for each desktop, if all the files are included in Cinnamon?
Good question, ask them ! Or try Cinnamon 20.xx and you will see 5 DE already installed + KODI if you have it ...
SMG wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:08 pm I notice you marked the thread [SOLVED]. People come to solved threads for solutions. What solution did you find that fixes the "awake from sleep mode hang bug"?
If you read the thread I think its Because I installed and using a USB mouse instead a laptop pad mouse... Or because I reinstalled Mate or xcfe4 I don't know exactly precisely I just see that all is OK now so for me its fixed so this thread is closed for me

Come back by PM if you have more question I will not come back in
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

jambono wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:01 pm
SMG wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:08 pm And why would the Mint developers go through the extra work to create three different ISOs, one for each desktop, if all the files are included in Cinnamon?
Good question, ask them ! Or try Cinnamon 20.xx and you will see 5 DE already installed + KODI if you have it ...
I have Cinnamon 20.1 installed. Only Cinnamon is available as a desktop, Cinnamon (Default) or Cinnamon (Software Rendering).

Return to “Beginner Questions”