how to disable secure boot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JOPETA
Level 17
Level 17

Re: how to disable secure boot

Post by JOPETA »

It is clear Mint is installed in BIOS Legacy mode. Even it looks like a non UEFI capable computer. Are you sure you can change boot mode or enable UEFI somewhere in BIOS settings?

If there is no such option you can not boot any GPT/EFI media (as USB you have created) so forget not only about Secure Boot also installing Linux or Windows in UEFI mode.. Try to install Windows (creating a DVD or USB with MBR/msdos partitioning style) in BIOS mode :roll:
Ni cola de león ni cabeza de ratón, prefiero ser diente de ajo.(Javier Krahe)
Studiohead
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Studiohead »

I don’t know how to change the boot mode. Or how to get into the BIOS settings. If you could give me an idea how to do that I could give it a try.

If it’s not UEFI compatible pc does that mean it isn’t possible to install windows?

It originally had 32 bit windows 7 on it.
Studiohead
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Studiohead »

I’ve tried to install windows with a USB. I pressed F2 at startup which brings up the BIOS screen, or at least I think that’s the BIOS screen.

When I select the USB and press F10 save changes I just get a black screen.

Is there another way of installing w10 in bios mode?

Return to “Beginner Questions”