Why do some apps install with micro-fonts?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Will547
Level 1
Level 1

Why do some apps install with micro-fonts?

Post by Will547 »

I recently installed Stacer and Inkscape. The fonts are microscopic? I just opened VirtualBox and the fonts there are too small also. If I do an online search the usual solution is to download GnomeTweaks. Isn't there an "inhouse" fix? I tried adjusting the font size and scaling in Settings to no avail. All my other apps and seem to be "normally" sized? I'm using Mint 20.1 Cinnamon. Suggestions greatfully appreciated!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad"
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Why do some apps install with micro-fonts?

Post by xenopeek »

I don't have a solution but can say VirtualBox and Stacer are Qt programs. Cinnamon, MATE and Xfce are Gtk based. You can run Qt programs on Gtk based desktop environments and vice versa and you should not normally spot that (it should look native) but there can be some papercuts when running programs developed with a different user interface library. Especially with things like fonts and HiDPI (if you have a display with very high resolution) the settings for your desktop environment might not be picked up by those kinds of programs. Or the programs in question might not have support for HiDPI built in yet.

Inkscape is a Gtk program so is a bit odd one out in this mix. I would suspect you have a HiDPI display because of that. Inkscape HiDPI support is work in progress I think, so it doesn't scale fonts for displays with very high resolutions (very small pixel size). I don't use Inkscape except for creating the odd text label but you can probably increase the size of the font in Inkscape by starting it with command GDK_DPI_SCALE=2 inkscape. Try that out from the terminal. You can edit the menu entry to do that by default if it gives you desired result. You can increase the size of icons through Inkspace preferences.

Similarly there are some environment variables you can use with Qt programs to force them to use HiDPI. This covers some of it: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/HiDPI#Qt_5. For example run VirtualBox as QT_SCALE_FACTOR=2 virtualbox to make it use 2x larger text.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Will547 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:55 amI recently installed Stacer and Inkscape. The fonts are microscopic?
Install and run qt5ct to set qt fonts and other GUI stuff. Edit: inkscape does NOT use qt?

Also you can also change the font size on all or a single program; for me ocenaudio's fonts were too small when other qt programs loooked OK; they're made bigger like this:
$ cat bin/Ocenaudio

Code: Select all

QT_FONT_DPI=128 ocenaudio "$*"
You can also set QT_FONT_DPI in your ~/.profile to change all qt font sizes:

Code: Select all

export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct  # you might need to set this too...
export QT_FONT_DPI=96  # 96 = the default?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Will547
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Will547 »

I appreciate your response Flemur. I did worry about a response that might cause all my fonts to be effected. I went to Synaptic to download qt5ct and found that I had qt settings downloaded already. I opened qt5 settings to find that it is yet another instance of tiny fonts.The top bar on my screen says Qt5 Configuration Tool in the same size font as shown on this Linux Forum page? Anything to do with operating the configuration tool is all but invisible, even holding a magnifying glass up to the screen? I can't figure out why everything/all my apps were "normal" prior to the recent downloads,, with the exception of the qt5 that I didn't know I had.

Thanks again for your response, Will
Will547
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Will547 »

xenopeek you are right on the money. Thank you for your assistance
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

I use Inkscape in the form of a more up-to-date AppImage, because I didn't like various things in the older 0.9x version. I didn't have to change the font size, the icon sizes are adapted to the monitor.

It looks like this for me:

Key data: LMDE 4, 14" laptop monitor, 3000 x 2000 pix in Hi-DPI mode 200% - via display settings.

Return to “Beginner Questions”